PDA

View Full Version : a more drastic type of detail: filling in holes in sheet metal

imported_donavin629
01-16-2004, 12:11 AM
Well, I have a new spoiler that needs two different holes than my OEM spoiler.

When the new one is mounted on, two holes are exposed, which are about the size of a dime, maybe slightly larger.

my question for all of you is, should I tackle the task of filling in the holes myself or should I leave it to a body shop?

I`ve done touch-ups of all sizes (sand, sand sand, fill in with touch up paint, sand, sand, polish) and they`ve turned out well. I`m not sure if its a similar case with filling in holes.

these are the words that come to mind: bondo, fiberglass, touch up paint. whether that`s correct or not, i`d appreciate advice or instructions! thanks.

imported_kgb
01-16-2004, 08:00 AM
Let a body shop do it and make sure they weld the holes shut. They should take a peice of metal the same size and shape of your holes and weld that in and then grind it down as even as they can. Then they only use a little bit of body filler. Also, they will paint the whole trunk lid most likely and it will look much better. Hell, while they are at it have them shave any trunk locks that might be there.

Scott P
01-16-2004, 08:49 AM
I agree. Having them weld the old holes shut and making them level witht eh sheetmetal will look great. They`ll repaint the whole the trunk and it will look almost stock (unless the wing is one of those triple decker titanium/carbon fiber/aluminum/cardboard deals).

imported_donavin629
01-16-2004, 05:09 PM
hehe no, it`s a K`s wing for a Nissan Silvia S14. :)

thanks for the input guys.

Eclipse550HP
01-16-2004, 07:19 PM
Yeah have a body shop do it but dont have them weld it, because the heat can/will worp the metal. ask them to glue it...yes glue! I have been to school for auto body and thats the way I have been doing it for years now. Good luck on that S14 swap. Also if you have any questions on Siliva stuff just PM me because I did a full s13 lastyear and I have alot of good people to reffer you to