PDA

View Full Version : Will this orbital sander work to buff? + 3M wax cleaner?

Hauserdaddy
01-15-2004, 01:02 PM
I have a cheap $70 Makita orbital sander that is hook and loop. Conveniently I work at 3M and they sell a hook and loop buffing pad that would fit on my sander. Would this work fine for me to use to buff my car or should I purchase a buffer/polisher exclusively for buffing/waxing. The car I want to wax/buff is my new (old) red `72 Datsun 240Z. The paint is fairly oxidized so I was going to use 3M wax cleaner (medium oxidization) for a couple coats to see how it turns out. Any suggestions or ideas would be very helpful. I am able to get 3M products for a discount so if there are any I should consider, please let me know.

Thanks!

imported_BretFraz
01-15-2004, 02:19 PM
:welcome to Autopia

Give us the model number of the Makita and we can have a look at the specs and give you some input. If you have a pic or some kind of description of the sander beyond "cheap", that would be helpful as well.

Lots of good 3M polishes. They do a great job with them. Look at their Finesse-It II and Perfect-It III product lines for ideas. Remember that 3M packages the same products in different container sizes then attaches a different part number to them so its easy to get confused when comparing their polishes.

togwt
01-15-2004, 02:46 PM
:welcome to Autopia

~One man’s opinion / observations~

As you’re a fan of 3M you might want to try their Perfect-It Show Car Paste Wax a synthetic blend. (This is a pure wax without any cleaning properties. Surfaces should be pre-cleaned with 3M Imperial Hand Glaze (fresh paint) or 3M Perfect-It Swirl Mark Remover (cured factory paint) prior to first time application.

~Hope this helps~

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/

justadumbarchitect * so i question everything*

Hauserdaddy
01-15-2004, 02:54 PM
I don`t have a part number exactly because I am not at home. here is a pic of what the sander looks like

http://store1.yimg.com/I/flyyourflag_1775_167843506

IF it isn`t a good idea to use something like this I will just do it by hand. If it would work, I would definately give it a try.

Thanks again for the advice!

imported_kgb
01-15-2004, 03:00 PM
Get a Porter Cable buffer when you get some extra cash. That palm sander would not be a good idea for doing th whole care I would not think.

imported_BretFraz
01-15-2004, 03:25 PM
Yeah, that palm sander is not gonna cut it. Not enough torque and too small. I don`t think there are auto paint polishing pads made in that size (4 inch?). I think you`re better off working by hand instead of using the sander.