PDA

View Full Version : Working on carbon fiber hood?

Carpet Cleaning Truckmounts
01-15-2004, 12:29 PM
Well, as a result of an insurance settlement I`ve ended up with a carbonfiber/kevlar hood on my WRX wagon. The hood is blue/black so sometimes it looks like a carbon fiber hood and sometimes it looks like a blue striped CF hood. (depending on lighting, phase of the moon... whatever)

Here`s the question: I`ve searched the archives and cant seem to find info on what to use to polish CF. I`ve got some scratches and swirls in my lovely new hood that someone else put there :angry and I`d like to get rid of them without making the problem worse. What can be used to polish CF?

Hmmm... I thought I had found the info I needed but guess not. I did find one fellow who had really bad results polishing a CF race car so now I`m feeling VERY paranoid.

ConfusEd

imported_kgb
01-15-2004, 01:11 PM
Most CF products are clear coated so you can use any ole` paint product for it. My partner has a CF spolier on his hatchback and we wet sanded some scratches out and used Poorboy`s polishes to bring it back to life. Came out great.

Carpet Cleaning Truckmounts
01-15-2004, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by 2001civicex

Most CF products are clear coated so you can use any ole` paint product for it. My partner has a CF spolier on his hatchback and we wet sanded some scratches out and used Poorboy`s polishes to bring it back to life. Came out great.

Thanks... I`ll try to be gentle and see how it goes :)

stilez
01-15-2004, 02:08 PM
edsmith42: I agree with 2001civicex. Carbon fiber hoods are clearcoated so you can treat them like a paint. HOWEVER, make sure after you polish it, use a sealant, then a wax (optional). CF hoods have been known to be fragile and when exposed to the elements, they deteriorate. Good Luck...Oh yeah, post pics too. I would like to see that weave :D

LouisanaJeeper
01-15-2004, 03:27 PM
It is probably clearcoated, check with the manufacturer to be sure. Polish and wax just like any other clear coat.

Eclipse550HP
01-15-2004, 05:09 PM
Yeah dude just treat it like its a normal painted part. because if its a better brand IE: VIS,GTP ect.. its got a clear coat.