PDA

View Full Version : sponges vs wash mitts

III
01-14-2004, 06:02 AM
I know this was covered on a previous post, (sponges vs wash mitts) but I wanted to bring this up again. I know that most of you on this site use wash mitts for washing, but do any of you use sponges? Lately I`ve been using a grout sponge that you can get at any Home Depot store. I don`t know if any of you go to the website showcargarage.com, but on this website there`s a post explaining that two mobile detailers, one who washes Barry Meguiar`s vehicles, uses this sponge. Go to mobile detailing when you get to the site. I thought it was kind of interesting so I decided to try it too. I`ve tried wash mitts and I like the softness of them, but I noticed that they don`t release the dirt too well when trying to rinse the mitt at times. (at least the lambs wool mitt that I used) It seems like since the nap of the mitt is so plush, it still retains the dirt. I also like to use sponges because I`ll cut them in half (or even smaller) so that I can use them on my rims and those small/hard to reach areas. You can`t really cut up a wash mitt. Believe me I`ve tried and the mitt unraveled.

togwt
01-14-2004, 09:48 AM
Quote: sponges vs wash mitts

~One man’s opinion / observations~

I had followed that thread and found it very interesting that thinking about the use of a sponge would resurface.

I have always tried to learn from other people, and keep an open mind on new ideas (or re-thought old ones), new products and new techniques.

I usually use a horsehair brush and a bucket with a grid or a sheepskin mitt.

~Hope this helps~

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/

justadumbarchitect * so i question everything*

imported_Blake
01-14-2004, 10:56 AM
I was in a very good clean-up (read fussy) shop for one of our better body shops the other day. They cut wash mitts open to allow for a much wider surface. I never put my hand inside the mitt and I am going to try this as soon as I can wash my vehicle outside again. Of course all the ribbing etc. is cut off but it makes for a very large surface which hods an awful lot of soap.

AndyC
01-14-2004, 11:19 AM
That`s a new one - will definitely try that.