PDA

View Full Version : How to remove painted pin striping?

89stang
01-13-2004, 09:59 PM
Hello all, new guy here. Would like to start off with a question. What is the best method to remove painted on pin stiping?

Thanks for any experience you may have! :)

ultrajim49
01-14-2004, 02:14 AM
Welcome to this forum:wavey

Wow, removing painted stripping,

I think that`s going to be a pro`s job,

I can see sanding , compounding & polishing here to do the job

I hope pro`s will chime in

Christiaan

imported_kgb
01-14-2004, 08:13 AM
It all depends how the pin stripe was done. Before the clear coat? If so, fogeadaboudit. If it is on after the clear you will need to carefully wet sand it off then compound / rubout and polish all of the scratches.

Warning: The paint under the pin stripe will most likely be adifferent shade of paint because the paint under the strip will not be faded and when you remove it you will be able to tell that the striping was there.

imported_Aurora40
01-14-2004, 12:36 PM
Back in my less-autopian days, I helped a friend buff off some lame pink pinstripe on his used Z24. We just used some Turtle Wax compoundy crap in a can, then followed it up with Meg`s Cleaner/Wax. All done by hand. It came off quite easily.

I imagine the type of paint that is used makes a big difference. One of the doors had been repainted at some point prior to his ownership, and the pinstripe repainted too, and on that part the pinstripe was almost impossible to remove. I have no idea what the differences were in paint used, but clearly there was a diff. Maybe you should experiment on a small part to see what it`ll take to do it.

89stang
01-14-2004, 12:54 PM
Thanks or the comments. It was an aftermarket job, so it would be on top the clear coat. Looking around the net, I saw other recommendations, one being laquer thinner. Said it would take the stripe off before attacking the clear coat. Another was some type of old fashion oven cleaning stick. Any thoughts on these?

imported_kgb
01-14-2004, 12:58 PM
My thoughts on the thinner is that I would never let thinner touch my paint, it would worry me too much.

imported_hdsalinas
01-14-2004, 04:05 PM
How about taking off old faded pin stripe decals? I bought a 1999 corolla recently and the vinyl thin stipes that run along the sides are really in bad shape. I want to take them off and replace them with brand new ones.

Is there an easy way to do take them off?

imported_kgb
01-14-2004, 04:17 PM
For decals I use 3M Adhesive Remover. Works great. First see if it will come off easy with your finger nail though. I had a 94 Sonoma that had pin stripe all along the bottom. I was all ready to tackle the task of removing it. Then I was able to peel one end out, grab it, pull, and baam the whole stripe came off in one yank. The whole truck took about 3 minutes to do. I could not believe it.