PDA

View Full Version : How long can APC or EFHI dwell

jsoto
01-13-2004, 10:41 AM
If I`m using EFHI (1:1) or APC (4:1) as a wheel cleaner, how long can I let it sit and dwell before rinsing off. I usually let it sit for 30 seconds max before rinsing. If I could let it sit any longer for it to deep clean, that would be great. I still have bottles of this stuff and do want to use it up.

On the other hand, my new favorite is citrius cleaners. I use it 1:1.

I usually wet the wheel down, and then spray the wheel complete. Come back 10-15 minutes later, give it a good rinse and it`s clean.

tom p.
01-13-2004, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by jsoto

how long can I let it sit and dwell before rinsing off. I usually let it sit for 30 seconds max before rinsing. If I could let it sit any longer for it to deep clean, that would be great. I still have bottles of this stuff and do want to use it up.

wow, I`ve let EHFI sit much longer than 30 seconds on dirty wheels....maybe as long as 10 minutes or so. These are potent cleaners so keep a close watch and make sure you`re not getting any long-term damage.

I used to help out detailing lots of MBzs which show some of the worst brake dust known to all humanity. We used to let the P21S GEL wheel cleaner sit overnight....there just was no other way to get the front (and rear) of the wheels clean. That is a great product for severe messes. :xyxthumbs

Originally posted by jsoto

On the other hand, my new favorite is citrius cleaners. I use it 1:1.

I usually wet the wheel down, and then spray the wheel complete. Come back 10-15 minutes later, give it a good rinse and it`s clean.

Have you had a chance to try Meguiar`s fine Citri-gel cleaner? :D

jsoto
01-13-2004, 12:17 PM
I`ve got 2 gallons sitting on the shelf. I`m almost done with the P21S version of it.............

Granted the wheels I`m cleaning is not polished aluminum but clearcoated, I just wasn`t too comfortable letting the APC cleaners sit that long. I guess it`s okay to let this stuff for 3-5 minutes. It just makes my job easier too.

Everytime I start scrubbing with my retired sheepsking mitt, all the dust that`s on the wheels just ends up underneath my fingernails :mad:

AndyC
01-13-2004, 12:20 PM
I use APC+ on my wheels and wheelwells, mixed as directed on the bottle (can`t remember exact ratio right now). My usual routine is as follows.

1. Hose wheel/tyre to remove any loose dirt etc.

2. Spray APC+ onto front of wheel + tyre.

3. Scrub tyre using a cheap nailbrush to remove old dressing, dirt etc.

4. Agitate product using small detail brush (Megs I think - it was a freeby) to remove dirt & brake fallout from wheel.

5. Hose all dirt/product away.

6. Spray product liberally into wheelwell and agitate with long handled wash brush - saves my knuckles!

7. Spray APC+ inside wheel and leave while I move to next wheel to repeat steps 1-5

8. Use variety of longer handled brushes to clean inside wheel (my wheels are six spoke and fairly easy to clean - just wish I had a better brush!)

9. Hose all dirt/product away

10. Wash all wheels/wells with a double strength solution of whichever shampoo I`m using then hose off.

If wheels have any crud left on after step 9, I either repeat steps 2-5 or use Megs Hot Rims sparingly to lift any stubborn dirt.

I`ve just read David`s article/review on the P21S gel and Sonax R2000 and am tempted to see if I can get the Sonax product over here as I really don`t care for the Hot Rims - seems very acidic IMO.

Hope this helps you a bit!

imported_vindaloo
01-14-2004, 04:44 PM
Andy

Get some P21S green gel wheel cleaner from iAuto, it`s the best

Lemonxxs
01-14-2004, 07:45 PM
Just do not let it dry......