PDA

View Full Version : Clay bars: Autopia`s own vs. Meguiars vs. Mothers

Pages : [1] 2

Quik89si
01-12-2004, 11:58 PM
I have noticed that some clay bars are extremely expensive (Meguiars at $18 or so) while others are relatively inexpensive (Autopia`s clay bar at $9.25).

Is there a realistic difference between different brands of clay? Is the clay in Autopia`s store reasonable?

Thanks.

Alex

imported_BretFraz
01-13-2004, 12:11 AM
Don`t forget to compare bar sizes and total weight of the clay you get in the container. Some clay kits are 80g, some 100g, and some as much as 240g. You get what you pay for.

There are only a couple clay mfrs out there. Almost all the paint detailing clay on the market comes from these companies. The differences between them are rather minor. Everyone has their favorites, though.

If you`re looking for a great deal on an excellent clay, go to WalMart and buy the Clay Magic kit for under $10. If you can find the Mothers clay kit for a comparable price, consider that one.

Scottwax
01-13-2004, 12:13 AM
Clay bar pricing can depend on aggressiveness and size. The Meguiars BSP Overspray Clay is not cheap, but the bar is big and hella sticky and aggressive. Probably overkill unless you have heavy paint overspray to remove.

Quik89si
01-13-2004, 12:21 AM
Yeah, the Mother`s kit has worked for me in the past. The only thing is that it`s $20 and it comes with the QD, which I really don`t need - I just bought a huge bottle of the Meg`s QD. That`s why I am looking for clay by itself - but the Mother`s is probably what I`ll end up with, if not the clay magic.

Alex

Scottwax
01-13-2004, 12:38 AM
Go with the Clay Magic. For $10 you just can`t go wrong with it.

imported_BretFraz
01-13-2004, 01:16 AM
Or order the 3M clay directly from the 3M online store. About $22 for two big bars and free shipping. Its about the same price per gram as the Clay Magic kit but w/o the QD.

imported_Intel486
01-13-2004, 01:51 AM
You can order just the Mother`s clay if you don`t want all that other stuff. You have to call them.

I`d say Mother`s is some of the better clay I`ve used.

Quik89si
01-13-2004, 02:51 AM
Now I have all the info I should need! The 3m deal is tempting - I`m always a sucker for free shipping. Clay Magic would be nice if I can find it at Wal-Mart, since it`s quick and I don`t have to bother with shipping. Mothers - I like that idea too, because I`m already familiar with their product!

Alex

imported_kgb
01-13-2004, 08:18 AM
I love Mothers and HATE Meguiars. Meguiars left a freaking residue on the car that took us longer to get off than it did to detail the car.

togwt
01-13-2004, 09:35 AM
Quote: Clay bars: Autopia`s own vs. Meguiars vs. Mothers

~One man’s opinion / observations~

Clay Magic and a Woolite / Water5:1 lubricant solution get my vote.

~Hope this helps~

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/

justadumbarchitect * so i question everything*

Accumulator
01-13-2004, 11:13 AM
There seem to be two basic types of clay, one (like the Autopia Block) is more "plastic-like" than the other (the Griot`s/Mother`s type). I myself like the Autopia Block the best.

98GTPDriva
01-13-2004, 11:53 AM
Meguiar`s Clay Bar was awful. On the other hand, I`ve found Autopia`s Block to be an excellent buy.

I have yet to try Mother`s or Clay Magic`s Clay Bar, so I couldn`t tell you my experience with those.

Quik89si
01-13-2004, 02:26 PM
Lots of positive feedback on both CM and Autopia Block - decisions, decisions! Maybe CM for now, since they should have it at Wal-Mart, and later, when I get some more sheepskin wash mitts, I`ll pick up the Autopia Block...

Alex

imported_Terry
01-13-2004, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by Intel486

I`d say Mother`s is some of the better clay I`ve used. I`ve used them all and would agree.....Mothers clay works the best for me.:up

imported_FordTaurus
01-13-2004, 04:09 PM
I have been happy with Claymagic`s kit. You can`t beat it for $10.

-FordTaurus