PDA

View Full Version : Tips on removing painted pinstripes.

I am b
01-11-2004, 10:46 PM
Hi guys! Just bought a car that had some flames painted on it by a professional pinstriper. He painted them on over the clear coat. The clear coat was about 5-6 years old when it was painted over.

I need to remove the flames that were painted on without damaging the clear coat, or what is left of a clear coat on the car.

Any tips??? Please!!!

Aaron

tpgsr
01-11-2004, 11:35 PM
1500 grit sandpaper, a hole punch, super glue, and a pencil with a new eraser, and alot of time :) that is about the best i can do for you

Punch hole in sandpaper, glue to eraser, soak in water for 30 min keep work are real wet, and sand away slowly

I am b
01-12-2004, 06:54 PM
Ouch! Clay bar wouldn`t work?

Anybody else?

imported_kgb
01-12-2004, 08:48 PM
I highly doubt a claybar will work. I had to wet sand mine off. Only problem is that you still see where they were cause the paint was not faded under the stripe as it was on the rest of the car.

imported_turbomangt
01-13-2004, 07:40 AM
Get a heat gun or hair dryer and get the area warm. This will loosen the glue somewhat. Mask off the painted area with tape. spray the area with some solvent and QD, using a thin piece of plastic (like an old credit card) and some dental floss, work a corner gently. once you have got a corner off, use the floss to work behind it untill it comes off,. I have used this method 3-4 times on the same thing and it works great, You will need patience. Good luck Gary

imported_kgb
01-13-2004, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by turbomangt

Get a heat gun or hair dryer and get the area warm. This will loosen the glue somewhat. Mask off the painted area with tape. spray the area with some solvent and QD, using a thin piece of plastic (like an old credit card) and some dental floss, work a corner gently. once you have got a corner off, use the floss to work behind it untill it comes off,. I have used this method 3-4 times on the same thing and it works great, You will need patience. Good luck Gary

He said they were painted on not the sticky kind.