PDA

View Full Version : Old member but new to detailing, help will be appreciated

Pages : [1] 2

C-MDX
01-11-2004, 08:09 PM
I ordered a new Acura MDX yesterday and I want to take good care of it. The car is black/black (is clear coated), there is one in stock but I don`t really quite want it since I don`t know if the dealer had wash it or touched the paint so I think I`ll wait for about a month. I want to advoid Zaino, it`s not that I don`t like it but their shipping charge is crazy. I know most of the answers can be answered by searching but I want all my questions to be in one post so I can look up all my answers in only one post ( please don`t ask me to search , I hate searching). PLEASE HELP, especially pros like Scottwax, I want as much responds as possible. Here are my questions.

Products

Washing - I thought about buying Sonax gloss shampoo since it seems everybody likes it whoever uses it but is EO wet car wash good for the money???

Clay - Thought about buying the block for AP car care store but is Pinnacle poly better than block??? These are the only two I thought of. I couldn`t get clay magic here though.

Polishes - This is the trickiest part I think. I want to get those 2 stage polish. Here are some combos I thought of, 1z PP w/ 1z MP, Menzerna IP w/ Menzerna FP, Megs DACP w/ #9. Those are the only ones I can think of, are there any combos that are better that I missed???

Sealants - Easiest one, NXT Tech Wax hands down!!! . I don`t like to use Carnauba since I have to wax it every month.

Glass Cleaner - The MDX has factory tints on all windows except driver side, passenger side and windshield. I thought about buying AG glass polish for non tinted glass and EO 20/20 for tinted glass but is EO 20/20 good enough for non tinted glass or is it better if I use 20/20 and AG glass polish???

Muit purpose cleaner - APC+ hands down for engine, wheel wells and carpet but is there a multi purpose cleaner that is better than APC+???

Exterior trim dressing - #38????

Engine - Engine Kote and APC+ hands down!

QD - If I use NXT is it better that I stick with Meg`s QDs, I thought about getting FI. If I don`t have to stick with Meg`s QD how about EO wet wipe shine??? They both cheap too.

Tire dressing - I want a semi gloss dressing that contains no silicon or little silicon. Never thought of getting endurance since it`s loaded with the bad stuff. How about BF tire gel and Platinum ultimate tire gel or are there ones that are better???

Wheel cleaner - I have Megs Hot rims so I`ll use it for now but is there any mild wheel cleaner that are good??? EO A2Z????

Metal polish - The MDX has the metal call satin chrome, when I feel it, it`s smooth, I`m not sure if it`s clear coat or not. Thought about getting EO never dull but are there ones that are better and safer???

Plastic polish - Plexus hands down!

Leather care - Lexol twins hands down!

Vinyl care - 303 protectent hands down!

Detailing tools - I will get Pakshak MF package one so I`ll use a MF mitt for washing, Do you recommend me using OXO feathered tip wash brush for the lower part of the car so the MF mitt will be cleaner??? For the rims I`ll use small sponges to clean the outside and want to get something that is cheap to wash inside the wheel. I thought about getting the cone shape wheel brush but I have a feeling it will scratch, E-Z detail brush it good from what I`ve read but they`re too expensive so I`m stuck on this one. Terry towels for interior cleaning, door jams and engine (Canadian Costcos doesn`t have cheap MFs)??? Terry applicators for waxing???

PC and PC accessories - I will be getting a PC 7424 which will only be use for polishing. Everyone here said LC pads are the best so which pad do I use for polishing??? How many should I get (4??)??? And which size should I get for the backing plate??? Can I just use dawn to clean my pads???

I think that`s it, anything I missed???

Process

1. For claying can I just use plain water?? Is it enough for the clay bar to glide on the surface??

2. For polishing do I apply the polish on the pad or on the panel?? If I apply to the panel do I apply a 8" line across the surface??? How much polish do I need to polish a mid size SUV???

3. I`ll apply NXT by hand, how many oz do I need to wax a MDX (I`m worry I`ll use too much)???

4. How much QD do I need every time I QD my car (in oz please)???

Misc questions

1. Is this process good??

- dawn

- clay

- dawn

- polish

- seal

- QD

or do I have to QD between polish and seal???

2. Can I apply sealant every 6 months without claying the car???

3. How often do I shampoo the carpet, every year??

4. How often do I detail my engine???

5. How many spray bottles do you think I need???

Very very sorry for the long post!

BlueZ71
01-11-2004, 08:44 PM
I`m too tired to answer, do a search. :D

JK,

blue

imported_Aurora40
01-11-2004, 09:43 PM
1) I wouldn`t use dawn. Just wash the car. I also wouldn`t bother with the second wash after the clay. Polishing will remove the QD used to clay. I wouldn`t QD after polishing, just use the NXT you`re planning on using right after polishing. So wash, clay, polish, seal. I wouldn`t QD after the sealant. Let it cure, for a few days. Maybe QD after 24+ hours if needed, or just wait to wash the car the next weekend.

2) Clay the car when you feel it needs it. No point in doing it more than necessary, and it`s just another chance to mar the paint. You can also spot clay if there are just a few places that get rough. Wax every 6 months? Man... not sure I could wait that long...

3) I`d shampoo the carpets as needed also. Look at them. Do them when you think they have gotten a bit dirty, or whenever you feel like doing it. I don`t think there`s any set interval that`s the best. I`ve only scrubbed mine out once so far, though they are about due for a second go. I`ve had my car a bit over 2 years.

4) Don`t derail your engine. Your car will need it... :P

5) No idea how many spray bottles. What all do you plan on spraying? That`s how many... ;)

Mr. Clean
01-11-2004, 10:11 PM
I`ll toss out an opinion or three...

Washing - I can`t say enough good things about Sonax. Very slick feel while washing, but rinses clean. It`s only drawback IMO is cost. For a budget wash soap, I`ve tried many (TW Kit, Blue Coral, Zymol, etc.) and haven`t come across one which was truly bad. I think the Meguiar`s Gold Class is a bit over hyped though.

Clay - I prefer the Mother`s clay over the ClayMagic. I don`t know if David is going to offer the Glide, Block, and Waffle package again. I never got to try it.

Polishes - Lots of options here. Everyone has their favorite. For a mild polish which doesn`t do much for blemishes, but leaves a nice glossy appearance, Meguiar`s Deep Crystal Polish is very cost effective. #9 is more agressive. Poorboy`s Pro Polish is also nice.

Sealants - You`ve made your choice.

Glass Cleaner - EO`s 20/20 is hard to beat. Compared to Stoner`s IG and Sprayway it is also much easier to use in and around the auto. Foaming sprays just seem to get everywhere.

MPC - You`ve made your choice.

Exterior Trim - I like Poorboy`s Bold `n` Bright.

Engine - You`ve made your choice.

QD - It would seem that if you have chosen NXT as your sealant of choice, you would go with the NXT Spray Wax. :nixweiss

Tire Dressing - Again, my vote goes to PoorBoy`s Bold `n` Bright. It is pretty easy to adjust the amount of gloss or lack of at the time of application. I also use this in the wheel wells. Much better than Amor All IMO in two ways. First Armor All is just a mess to apply, and second Amor All really seems to attract dust/dirt when compared to Bold `n` Bright.

Wheel Cleaner - I was very unhappy with the results of EO`s A2Z on my F-i-L`s wheels. It left them with a mottled appearance. I followed the instructions to the letter. A2Z is very good at cleaning very dirty tires, however. I like a heavy car soap solution for cleaning wheels. A diluted citrus based degreaser if needed for greasy brake dust and wheel wells. I have P21S wheel cleaner and TAW but haven`t tried either.

Metal Polish - I`ll pass. I used Flitz years ago on some chrome wheels. It worked fine. I just don`t use metal polishes in an automotive environment right now.

Plastic Polish - Leather Care - Vinyl Care You have chosen.

Detailing Tools - Too broad and lots of options.

PC and Accessories - Get one :up

Process:

1) Don`t rely on water alone. At least use some soapy water. I usually spot clay as I wash. I soap, rinse, soap, clay, rinse.

2) I apply my paint cleaners, polishes, waxes and sealants to my applicator. That is just my preference. I`m sure it will work just fine on the horizontal surfaces if you prefer to apply the product directly to the panel. How much polish? Simply, as much as it takes. I use a little more than some and little less than others, I guess. I use a couple of quarter size drops per panel. On a good sized hood, I count that as 3-4 panels. A trunk lid, 2 panels.

3) Don`t know, haven`t used it.

4) I don`t measure. I spray, wipe, and move on. I might go over the hood and roof more than once.

Misc.

1) Looks good, but I personally pass on the dawn wash. From everything I`ve read that is a Zaino thing, and you said you weren`t going the Zaino route.

QD at the end of your process. Some might recommend you wait for a period before QDing to let your final step cure. I QD to make sure I`ve gotten everything wiped off.

2) Depends. You will have to feel the surface to see if claying is necessary. Of course you don`t have to clay.

3) When it`s dirty. Vacuum often. Shampoo only when necessary. IMO, the key to shampooing is to remove all of the soap. Soap residues attract more dirt.

4) Again, when it`s dirty, or whenever you feel the need.

5) Count your products that can or will be diluted or those that you purchase in bulk.

C-MDX
01-11-2004, 10:28 PM
Thanks everyone, I got a couple more questions. What can I use on the plood kit (plastic wood) and roof rails???

NEW AGAIN
01-11-2004, 10:28 PM
OKAY HERE GOES HOPE THIS HELPS YOU

WASHING: Meguairs Gold Class / Pro Series # 62

CLAY: Auto Magic clay bar / Meguairs clay bar

POLISHES: Meguairs Hand Polish 8132 / Show car glaze #7

Sealants: NXT is good what about Med #98 or #20 top with #26 or Klasse twins / 4 Star UPP / EX - SCOTTWAX Final Polish

GLASS CLEANER:Meguairs glass cleaner concentrate / Eagle1 20/20

Exterior trim #38, Engine kote, QD are great choices for Microfiber please PM me have a GREAT DEAL too good to mention I use 2 different washmitt VIKING MITT and a cheap one the bottom area including doorjambs and wheels Target has a great tire brush Interior detailing I use Cool Wash and warm water. Waxing foam applicators no exceptions

TIRE DRESSING: Turtle wax wheel wax

WHEEL CLEANER: Citri- Gel / TIRE CLEANER: APC

1. For claying I use the carwash soap LET ME EXPLAIN first I rinse down the vehicle to remove all the loose dirt /particle then handwash the vehicle after that I wet down the vehicle again w/the carwash soap and I start claying the entire vehicle

2. www.showcargarage.com go to search put in HAND POLISH there you will find your answer.

3. OKAY ABOUT 3oz

4. 222222 DAM TECHINICAL DON`T YA THINK

PROCESS

NO DAM DAWN go back to #1

2. Depends on you drive condition the enviroment the vehicle is in or is it a garage queen

3, 4 and 5 your on your own

Accumulator
01-12-2004, 12:38 PM
C-MDX Mr. Clean has done a commendable job, going through your list point-by-point. Some of this is just personal preference, but a few points from ME:

Don`t try to save money on car wash, get the best you can to avoid swirls. Likewise, use a good wheel wash, Griot`s is about the same as P21S but is available in gallons (less expensive). You really don`t need the Dawn, at least after the very first washing. It can be sorta hard on rubber stuff.

*I* would NOT use the OXO brush- boar`s hair brushes from Griot`s all the way. Wheels, undercarriage. The plastic ones will (eventually) scratch something. Err on the side of caution. Worth the money, they last for many years.

I like the Autopia Block a lot better than the other clays on the market, though the Mother`s isn`t bad. People have (recently) had residue issues with the Pinnacle and the Meg`s is generally considered NOT user-friendly.

I find the 1Z Paint Polish and Metallic Polish to be BY FAR the easiest to use. Hands down, no comparison. I plan to use them under NXT, don`t expect any compatibility issues. For polishing tips, you really do need to do the dreaded search. Short answer, put the polish on the pad, smear it around, turn on PC at 3, speed it up to 5-6, work polish, remove with MF, inspect, repeat.

Skip the QDing, too great a risk of marring your paint. You won`t need it between the polishing and the NXT. Oh, and I`d apply the NXT with the PC and a finishing pad.

Yes, you can clean the pads with Dawn, but label them on the back with a Sharpie so you know which product they`re each used for (avoid cross-contamination).

I never have problems detailing the engine/engine compartment (use minimal water!) using car-wash soap and (small) boar`s hair brushes (Griot`s), same process I use in the door jambs with every wash. That will probably keep it clean enough.

I`d get some Klasse AIO for use on "mystery materials" like your "satin chrome" and even exterior plastic trim. Then try topping with NXT (try a small, inconspicuous area first to see how it works). Generally, avoid "metal polishes". There`s VERY little bare metal on today`s vehicles` trim.

C-MDX
01-12-2004, 08:48 PM
Ok so...........

Wash - Sonax gloss

Clay - AP block

Polish - 1z PP / 1z MP

Sealants - NXT

Glass cleaner - EO 20/20

Mult purpose cleaner - APC+

Exterior trim dressing - Engine Kote?

Engine - APC+ / Engine Kote

QD - NXT spray wax? Or FI?

Tire dressing - I`ll go with BF and Platinum anyway :o

Wheel cleaner - Since the MDX doesn`t produce much brake dust, I think I`ll just go with Megs Hot Rims or soapy water

Metal Plolish - EO Never dull for chrome door handles and chrome side stills :nixweiss. AIO for Satin chrome trim.

Tools - OXO brush for lower body anyway :o. Pakshak MFs for buffing and for paint. Superstore MFs ($1 each right now) for interior, engine, wheels, door jams and exterior trim. E-Z brush for inside wheel cleaning, small sponge for wheel cleaning. Pakshak MF mitt for washing

PC - PC 7424. LC yellow pad for polishing??? Which LC pad can I use for waxing??? I need one LC yellow pad for 1z PP, one LC yellow pad for 1z MP and one (?) pad for waxing or do I need 4 yellow for polishing and 2 (? color) for waxing?? Also, which size of backing plate and counter weight should I get??

1. soapy water (while washing the car) for lube??

2. Apply a dime size and do the whole panel with a PC (hood, door panel hatch etc, etc...)???

3. Same as above???

4. Never mind that one

Misc

- wash

- clay if needed (during washing)

- wash

- dry

- 1z PP w/ LC yellow pad (1 pad do the whole car?)

- 1z MP w/ another LC yellow pad (1 pad do the whole car?)

- NXT w/ LC (? color) pad (1 pad do the whole car?)

2. I`ll just apply sealants every six months and clay every year?

3. If needed

4. If needed or if I feel it`s dirty

5. Hmmmm....... 1 for Engine Kote, 1 for APC+ 4:1 (water: product) for engine degreasing, 1 for APC+ 12:1 (water: product) for carpet cleaning, 1 for APC+ 20:1 (water: product) for cloth-upholstery cleaning??

New question

Can I use 303 on plood?

Accumulator
01-13-2004, 11:42 AM
You`d better plan on applying sealants more than every six months...most people find they don`t last that long. Clay whenever our paint feels rough (I spot-clay with every wash).

I wouldn`t use Engine Kote on exterior trim, if you get it on the paint it`ll be a pain to get off.

Either Qd would be OK, the FI can be handy when polishing to remove residue, so I`d get them both.

I`d just use the AIO on the chrome then NXT. I only use Never Dull type products on tailpipes, etc.

On the PC, get a 6" backing plate and a 6" counterweight. Get a bunch of pads, you`ll end up needing them.

Pads: one yellow for PP, one white for follow up with PP, one white for MP, one gray for NXT. Then double that recommendation.

Dunno for sure about your PLOOD, I guess I`d use AIO to clean it (be gentle) and NXT to protect. 303 can run in the rain and/or need redone after every wash.

C-MDX
01-13-2004, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by Accumulator

You`d better plan on applying sealants more than every six months...most people find they don`t last that long. Clay whenever our paint feels rough (I spot-clay with every wash).

I wouldn`t use Engine Kote on exterior trim, if you get it on the paint it`ll be a pain to get off.

Either Qd would be OK, the FI can be handy when polishing to remove residue, so I`d get them both.

I`d just use the AIO on the chrome then NXT. I only use Never Dull type products on tailpipes, etc.

On the PC, get a 6" backing plate and a 6" counterweight. Get a bunch of pads, you`ll end up needing them.

Pads: one yellow for PP, one white for follow up with PP, one white for MP, one gray for NXT. Then double that recommendation.

Dunno for sure about your PLOOD, I guess I`d use AIO to clean it (be gentle) and NXT to protect. 303 can run in the rain and/or need redone after every wash.

Doesn`t sealants last for a year (I heard somewhere) :nixweiss???I don`t mind spot claying the car in every wash but I was worry that it will remove all or most of my sealants.

OK, so no Engine Kote. I want my trim to look a little shiny, can I use a tire dressing like BF and Platnium on plastic trim (I was worry it will ruin it instead)??

So using FI on NXT is the same as using NXT spray wax on NXT???

Thanks, no to ND and yes to AIO :D

Thanks, really need to know that

So do you mean that one pad for each product isn`t enough?? And do I go over the whole car with white pad with PP after yellow pad with PP??

Plood is plastic wood trim (interior). AIO on plood, got it :xyxthumbs

C-MDX
01-14-2004, 02:37 AM
Anyone?? :( . Why is this thread so unpopular anyways :nixweiss ??

Accumulator
01-14-2004, 10:33 AM
C-MDX- If the plood is on the INSIDE, then you probably won`t need to use AIO on it. Just some wax or sealant.

Sealants (specifically SG) CAN last for a year. The vehicles I use SG on sometimes do, but I`ll apply at least five layers and those vehicles are always garaged. Gotta be gentle about the claying, and be prepared to reapply your sealant to the clayed areas as needed.

Recent threads indicate that NXT spray wax is much more compatible with NXT than FI is. Check the recent NXT threads for details.

For the exterior trim, I`m NOT talking about an ERV dressing, I`m talking about something you would use on PAINT- AIO topped with BFII or P UPPP- BF/P synthetic waxes. Yes, *I* treat the trim as if it were paint, NOT like rubber or vinyl.

More than one pad is just good insurance for the inevitable things that happen.

Don`t take this the wrong way, but this thread is possibly unpopular because it asks for so much info and most of it has already been posted elsewhere. I understand your aversion to searches, but time you don`t spend searching requires somebody else to spend time responding.

C-MDX
01-14-2004, 11:06 AM
Thanks. After thinking for a while, I don`t think I really need the OXO brush :D

AutoNova
02-23-2004, 05:56 PM
Love the OXO brush, must have it for tires, very gentle don`t be afraid to own it. I don`t care for the OXO spoke brush, all the fibers come off in tight places.

brokentelephone
02-25-2004, 03:46 AM
Not that it is really my place to say, but I don`t think you should really come down on someone for posting a question, regardless if it is easily searchable or not.

I used to frequent honda-tech.com`s Integra Type R section, and people became regular search nazis, any question asked was replied with "use the search" or whatever. Understandably, alot of subjects have been covered, and sometimes too many similar posts can be a little boring but not enough so that it could ruin autopia at all. there is so much interesting new information every day that a few redundent posts won`t affect conversation. if nobody wants to reply the post will just disappear, no problem.

Some people are just lazy, thats to be expected, and for every lazy person on autopia, there are like 50 helpful people that probably wouldn`t mind directing them to the info, be it searching for them , or rewriting just to solidify their own methodology.

Starting to detail can be quite daunting, sometimes ppl just want to make sure what they`re doing is just right for their car/cirmustances.

also, it seems that every post, regardless of the initial question, seems to stray to some entirely new interesting discussion. without the impetus from these re-posts, these things might have never been heard?

josh

I saw sticklers for searching ruin one excellent board and i wouldn`t want it to happen here.:D