PDA

View Full Version : Please post your window routine

Pages : [1] 2 3

imported_NHBFAN
01-10-2004, 01:54 PM
1) What type applicator, e.g. rag/towel/newspaper?

2) What cleaner product?

3) Do you use a polish or protectant on exterior glass, e.g. AG glass polish or AIO?

tangix2001
01-10-2004, 01:57 PM
I use an mf and IG. On the inside I spray the window and wipe it down with the mf, then repeat. It works but I hate doing windows, they can drive you nuts.:)

imported_Totoland Mach
01-10-2004, 02:11 PM
1. Sponge or damp rag

2. IG or Windex

3. Wipe off and buff with crumpled newspaper. Always streak free.

imported_NHBFAN
01-10-2004, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by Totoland Mach

2. IG or Windex

:nono Windex = harmful to tinted glass

imported_Totoland Mach
01-10-2004, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by NHBFAN

:nono Windex = harmful to tinted glass

you`re right there, but I don`t have aftermarket tint..just factory stuff which is laminated between the glass.

It`s the newspaper that eliminates the streaks and polishes the glass...have used it for 30 years.

Jesstzn
01-10-2004, 03:07 PM
First ( and only once to get the crud off ) I wash with windex which like most leaves streaks.

Next I use a folded damp paper towel to wipe down 1/2 the windshield followed by drying with a dedicated MF towel. Of all the towels I have the best one I found for this was the cheapies made for Turtle Wax. Something about how they grab the film on the window.

All future washings are damp paper towel followed by the TW MF to dry. Mine are always streak / lint free now.

And environmentally friendly.

Outside windows are always wiped with a dedicated TW MF after the car was dried. Wipe is on a dry window.

tnoy66
01-10-2004, 03:18 PM
Just Autoglym Glass Polish......inside and out.......and on home windows too :D

Basic yellow applicator to apply and MF to clean any dust residue off, not that there`s much anyway.......provided you use very sparingly. Use too much and there`s blue dust everywhere, as I found with an early non-autopian experience!!!

stevet
01-10-2004, 03:57 PM
Inside windows: I use Stoners Invisible Glass and a small waffle weave MF towel. The IG does not streak and the WW glides along the glass without grabbing but still provides a lot of bite for cleaning.

Outside windows: Soap and water with the wash mitt as I wash the car. Dry them with a California Water blade to get most of the water and follow up with the waffle weave I use to dry the car. I don`t need to use any glass cleaner, the windows are spotless after I do this.

I will also clay the outside windows when my regular method of cleaning them doesn`t get them spotless. After I clay them I go back to my regular method and it works fine again until the next time I need to use clay.

Redcar GUY
01-10-2004, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by NozeBleedSpeed

Any quality window cleaner used very sparingly with a MF that has been washed several times so that its lint free. I hate windows...

i`ll 2nd that:wavey

imported_NHBFAN
01-10-2004, 10:05 PM
Windows is still my biggest challenge. It`s still difficult to get flawless windows on a consistant basis.

I plan to try AG glass polish soon or maybe PROWAX`s C-27-Q wax polish.

I also want to get some surgical towels.

spetulla
01-10-2004, 10:08 PM
wash, sometimes polish with the PC, use gunk + newspaper then finish with gunk and a MF if needed

Scottwax
01-10-2004, 10:36 PM
Inside windows with Eagle 20/20 glass cleaner and semi-rough terry cloth towels. Outside windows, I use Vanilla Moose.

imported_NHBFAN
01-10-2004, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by Scottwax

Inside windows with Eagle 20/20 glass cleaner and semi-rough terry cloth towels. Outside windows, I use Vanilla Moose.

I found VM and AIO ... and I guess other polishes work well on the outside if you always use them. But, sometimes the owner will try cleaning the outside of windows themselves with a glass cleaner and it well smear the polish already on the glass and make holograms.

Scottwax
01-10-2004, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by NHBFAN

I found VM and AIO ... and I guess other polishes work well on the outside if you always use them. But, sometimes the owner will try cleaning the outside of windows themselves with a glass cleaner and it well smear the polish already on the glass and make holograms.

:nixweiss I know I`ve never had a problem with that on my own car. Most of my customers wouldn`t pick up a bottle of window cleaner to save their life. They just wait until I come back again for their next appointment.

imported_NHBFAN
01-11-2004, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by Scottwax

:nixweiss I know I`ve never had a problem with that on my own car. Most of my customers wouldn`t pick up a bottle of window cleaner to save their life. They just wait until I come back again for their next appointment.

That`s actually kind of a good thing ... don`t you think? Don`t want to get them too involved in the detailing process, or the may start to like it. I hear it`s addictive;)

Hate to admit it, but I made the mistake of applying a window cleaner (20/20) to the back window of my truck after AIOing it a few months earlier. Forgot all about the AIO until the window started smearing.

Anyone used surgical towels to do windows? Recently, I used MF towels that were washed several times and still got lint.