PDA

View Full Version : Here`s what DACP did for my swirl mark problem...

chu_singming
01-10-2004, 12:21 PM
Absolutely nothing. I applied DACP 2 times with a yellow cutting pad, following that up with AIO with a orange pad. Both were applied at speed 5. This process removed about 5% of my swirls, if that. I don`t know if I did something wrong or what, but I`m pretty disappointed considering I just spent over 6 hours on this with very poor results

Dawn wash

Clay with Clay Magic

DACP x 2

AIO

SG x 2

S100

http://www.explorerforum.com/uploads/7134/swirls.jpg

http://www.explorerforum.com/uploads/7134/swirls2.jpg

:sosad

imported_memnuts
01-10-2004, 12:31 PM
Polishing is a multi-step process that requires different levels of abrasiveness to cure different severity of surface marring. Obviously, your imperfections require a higher abrasive polish starting point. I believe DACP only removes 1500-2000 grit imperfections with a PC @ 5-6 opm.

Sorry you spent 6 hrs but you should have noticed after doing a test or initial panel that DACP was not strong enough for the job. Nevertheless, this is how we learn and increase our skills.

Recommendation: 3M light cut if no success 3M medium Cut. One of these 2 products will most like rectify your blemishes if they are repairable with a PC. Follow-up with DACP and if you are really seeking perfection, follow-up with an even milder polish/cleanser like VM, P21S, Menzerna FP, A1O, etc.

Always inspect your results after polishing prior to topping with a protectant. This will save you time and product. Never except the protectant to rectify something that your polishing procedure failed to repair.

Hope this helps. :wavey

PS: Do not confuse the inherit optical appearance of darker colors (spiderwebbing) with swirls or surface scratches.:xyxthumbs

chu_singming
01-10-2004, 12:48 PM
Thanks guys. I put the SG on because I wanted some protection for winter. When it gets a little warmer out, I plan on really attacking the swirls. Thanks for the recommendations.

Who carries the 3M products?

Bill D
01-10-2004, 01:45 PM
I actually found DACP to produce better results than the 3m Fine Cut RC. I can`t comment on theMedium cut but I would definitely pick that up too if I see it.The 3m stuff only produced a lot of dust and a bit of clouding of the paint while the DACP got a fairly light scratch right out for me. ( Using a LC yellow pad)

It is interesting how products will perform differently depending on the color and type of paint, severity of the blemish, etc, etc. That`s why I feel I need to have a boatload of polishes/compounds in my arsenal. I`m looking forward to trying the 1z polishes next. I think in the case I had above the Ultra may have produced even better results. I know I wouldstill take 6 hours trying to perfect the paint by using one product after the other after the other :D Do let us know how your experience with the 3m works out.

tangix2001
01-10-2004, 01:55 PM
Time for a rotary.:)

imported_COBRyan
01-10-2004, 02:18 PM
That actually looks good! I dont really see any swirls in the second pic. It just needs a good run through with maybe Meguiars Swirl Free Polish (#82) and then a coat of Vanilla Moose with a topper of Carnauba Moose or S100. I bet it would look killer after that!

imported_memnuts
01-10-2004, 02:41 PM
3M products can be found at all Body Shop Supplies stores.

3M Heavy,Medium or Light Cut will dull the finish when used to remove blemishes. That is why a follow-up with progressively less abrasive polishes are required to re-establish the high gloss of the surface. Just like sanding wood in wood shop in HS... coarse sandpaper down to very fine grit sandpaper. Each step down refines the surface of the piece of wood. Same holds true form automotive paint/clearcoat. :wavey

ProTouchNJ
01-12-2004, 02:02 AM
The amount of pressure you use will also make a HUGE difference in your results. From the pics you show there, IMHO, I think you may have used either to much pressure or to aggressive of a pad. Until you get the time and the right weather to fix the problem 100 percent, I would recommend a coat or two of Meguiars new NXT Tech Wax - you may be pleasantly surprised!!!!

Good Luck

~Lenny

BillNorth
01-12-2004, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by NozeBleedSpeed

Personally Ive found that DACP has to be stepped down with a second abrasive. Something that will replenish the shine that is dulled by using DACP, like #9. AIO contains a chemical cleaner that will remove oxidation but it wont actually pull the shine back up on paint that has been dulled by use of a harder abrasive.

Your swirls are gone. You just need to burnish the shine back.

NozeBleedSpeed,

I respect your opinion and experiences, but I know countless people (including myself) who have said the exact opposite about AIO. AIO does in fact have some mild abrasives in it. Enough to remove the hazing (`dulling` as you call it) produced by more abrasive polishes like FI2, DACP, etc. AIO does an excellent job of shining up a paint surface. IMHO it is one of the best pre-wax/sealant cleaner and polish on the market.

Hartman,

One of the things I do when removing swirls is to polish out one 2x2 section with my polish of choice. My objective is too see how many passes, and subsequently how long it takes me to remove 90% of the swirls from the section. If it takes me 30mins and 10 passes then I know that I need to step up to a more agressive polish. This will allow me to avoid an experience like the one you had. Next time you are ready to polish try doing this. I think you`ll find it helpful.

Bill. :up

chu_singming
01-12-2004, 03:08 PM
Thank you Bill, that is a very good suggestion! I will be purchasing some of the 3M products in the near future.

I found that AIO did in fact remove some of the dullness caused by the DACP. Used with my orange pad, it did a pretty good job of getting the paint ready for the SG.

Despite the fact that I still have swirls, the SG topped with S100 really created a super glossy wet finish. I am please with the products (no surprise). My paint has never looked as glossy as it does now.