PDA

View Full Version : Preliminary test feedback with SG (from a Newbie)

imported_prgallo
01-09-2004, 09:39 PM
A couple of weeks ago I posted about my test approach and it was largely misunderstood. I`ll try to be more clear with this feedback, but still be brief.

I experimented with different layers on various body panels, splitting the hood down the middle. Thinkg that a fresh layer of SG would always look better than a week old section, I always did a fresh AIO-SG section to compare to a AIO-SG-SG-SG section.

When fresh I really couldn`t tell a difference, however after 10 days (the timing was a bit random due to travel) I could could see the three layers was darker-deeper-shinier. It was hard to tell on the whole body panels that are separated with a gap, but on the hood it was pretty clear.

I also did some testing to see if using AIO a couple of times mattered in the end result. The answer there was NO. Using AIO twice didn`t make any difference at all.

Now, after reading the SG instructions, I`m not to sure that AIO is even needed if the surface is prepped well (polished or like-new). I made another post and the general consensus was SG needs AIO to bond, but I read the instructions differently.

As I read it the AIO is really needed if you polish with products with oils/silicon, or to strip off wax/sealant.

I`m just not big on steps in a process that don`t matter or make a difference. Some folks seem to like a 10 step process believing it gives better results, but that`s not for me.

FYI, let me know if you have similar or conflicting results.

Course, it might not be sane to go through all this comparison work to just figure it out...

dmatre
01-09-2004, 09:44 PM
Thank goodness that sanity isn`t required at Autopia!!!

imported_prgallo
01-09-2004, 09:49 PM
LOL, good point!

imported_Greg
01-09-2004, 10:34 PM
Yes, the makers of Klasse say on SG that if your surface is new, then AIO isn`t needed. However, because of the unique acrylic formula of Klasse, for the greatest effect of shine, durability, AIO is a necessary first step. AIO lays down the acrylic base that SG likes to bond to. Sure SG will bond to bare paint, but probably just not as well.

imported_prgallo
01-10-2004, 07:34 AM
In another thread I`m learning that AIO might be more of a polish than I thought. My assumption here was it was primarily a cleaner and a good base for SG and other sealers.

However as a final polishing step, used with a white pad on a PC it may really be a good last step.

I`m also trying some GEPC, which again may be equivalent in polishing to AIO or SSR1, but with oils and some fillers. I plan to use P21S over this. (I mean used at the same step in the process, they are all different in how they get the job done)

I think what I`m getting so far is that sometimes Autopians use AIO for a good base bonding surface, sometimes to clean, sometimes to polish.

Duh, hence the name: All In One! (did I finally get it?)

In my defense, I get up early everyday, with my brain power peaking between 8-8:05 am. Any posts outside that time period may not make sense!