PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Windshields

jab
01-08-2004, 12:21 PM
Does anyone have any good methods for cleaning glass? I have a very difficult time getting the little specs off the glass. My fear is that if i use something very abrasive that i wiil create permanent scratches and make it worse. Any advice?:nixweiss Is it ok to use POLISHING PAD with a PC on windows, and if yes, what combination is good to use.

togwt
01-08-2004, 12:30 PM
Quote: Cleaning Windshields

~One man’s opinion, observation~

Put your hand in a plastic sandwich bag and lightly run your fingertips over the windshield`s surface. Chances are, it will have a rough, gritty feel. Glass cleaners will not remove this grit, the method I use:

Outside glass –

1. Apply clay (Magic Clay) and lubricant solution (Woolite / Water 5:1) onto the glass surface (Do not apply to plastic as dulling may occur.)

2. Wash off any residue from glass and dry with a damp waffle weave towel

3. For ‘water spots’ use a water/distilled white vinegar solution, 5:1 (adjust ratio as required)

4. Apply a quarter size amount of Autoglym Car Glass Polish to a dry 100% cotton or Microfiber cloth

5. Apply to half of the windshield, polishing first in an up and down motion then in a left-to-right motion and then repeat on the other side.

6. Go over the glass several times in each direction. (Glass will polish virtually residue free.)

7. Wipe off any residue, and polish with a clean dry 100% cotton Microfiber cloth.

8. If any ‘water spots’ remain apply Distilled White Vinegar to a 100% cotton micro fibre towel, using a medium pressure rub glass until they are removed.

9. Inspect glass for clarity and smoothness. Repeat if necessary.

10. Apply 303 Wiper Treatment to the wiper blades to clean, restore suppleness, eliminate wiper noise or ‘skipping’ and to avoid glass smearing. .

Notes:

1. These glass-cleaning methods should results in crystal clear, safer road vision and long lasting protection

2. As with all detailing tasks applied to an automotive surface, everything in a straight-line motion, avoid circular movements that could contribute to swirl marks.

3. There is no ‘one correct way ‘to apply a product, most Concourse detailers have their own preferred methodology. The way detailing products are customized are what each individual finds give them the desired results.

As with most detailing tasks, avoid strong sunlight, the sun may increase the surface temperature of the glass causing the product to dry too quickly and render them ineffective. It should be applied to a clean and dry surface, with a temperature of >50 – 90< o F.

~Hope this helps~

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/

justadumbarchitect * so i question everything*

jab
01-08-2004, 12:46 PM
Thanks for the info. Can this be done with PC?

imported_jgv
01-08-2004, 12:56 PM
TOGWT

Great `how to` clean outside glass. What`s your method for inside glass?

Thanks

JAB

I use the PC with the pad that came with it and 1Z glass polish to polish glass. No problem at all.

jab
01-08-2004, 12:59 PM
Thanks, thats good to know. I will do just about anything within reason with my PC.

gnahc79
01-08-2004, 01:00 PM
yep, I use a PC whenever I use Autoglym. For weekly cleaning I use EO 20/20 and MF towels.

for the outside I wipe one direction and for the inside I wipe the other direction, a little easier to see any spots that I`ve missed.

for the inside I sit in the passenger seat and clean the windshield with the back of my hand. A MF wrapped around a spatula is handy for the rear window too.

jab
01-08-2004, 01:11 PM
Which autoglym do you use? Is it the polisher and cleaner? Or is just the cleaner?

imported_mirrorfinishman
01-08-2004, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by jab

Does anyone have any good methods for cleaning glass? I have a very difficult time getting the little specs off the glass. My fear is that if i use something very abrasive that i wiil create permanent scratches and make it worse. Any advice?

You may want to use Bar Keepers Friend. It works very good on those hard to remove water spots. It`s got a mild abrasive in it so it could help remove those little specs too.

Here`s a link; http://www.barkeepersfriend.com/

Just a suggestion...