PDA

View Full Version : replace boot vs axle

medic
01-08-2004, 11:19 AM
my cv boots are split (no grease coming out yet though) so I was just planning on having them replaced. one mechanic told me that the overall cost is cheaper to just have the axle replaced with a remanufactured one. What are the disadvantages to doing this? I`ve always stuck with the philosophy that if it ain`t broke don`t mess with it.

My axles with 117K are fine (no clicking) and I`ve always just had my boots replaced. I just don`t want to take the cheaper option on this repair just to end up paying more on something in the future.

Thanks.

nwf_snake
01-08-2004, 11:32 AM
Usually a whole new axle will come with a lifetime warranty. It was cheaper on my Accord to get a new axle than to do just the boots! YMMV...

imported_kgb
01-08-2004, 11:32 AM
Not sure what you drive but on my 90 Civic the boot was ripped on both sides and I replaced both axels. They were not that much and my buddy did them for $25 a side so I could not complain. LPus you take back your old ones for a core charge. I don`t like just replacing the boot cause I always feer that dirt, water, ect...got in there and I am paranoid.

Slackmeister
01-08-2004, 02:51 PM
Exactly how big is the split in the boots? Based on my experience from working at a shop that did CV boot/axle replacement, if the boot has just started to split (say, an inch), the axle is probably fine. If the the boot has a large hole or has had enough time to split all the way around (boot is in two pieces), dirt, gravel, etc. have probably gotten into in the joint and damaged it, even if there is no clicking. These are generalizations, of course. Do keep in mind that labor will be the same price whether just the boot or the axle is replaced. A new/remanufactured axle will also come with a new inner boot---not that those fail very often, just something to keep in mind.

medic
01-08-2004, 03:02 PM
thanks guys. I caught the split early and it`s only about and inch or two long right now so the axle is probably fine.

I guess I`ll just have the mechanic replace the axle

Brad B
01-08-2004, 03:40 PM
I have always purchased replacement boots that are "split" from the manufacturer. They have a tongue and groove lip that runs down the side. You put it in place and glue the split shut with the supplied epoxy. (It`s like putting PVC pipes together, it practically melts it into one piece.) There is also a series of tiny screws/bolts that run over the edge for a mechanical seal as well. The ends are held with clamps like usual. It`s a cheap (about $30) DIY deal.

I have had these last many years on cars that I have done: VW(2), Honda, Audi from personal experience.