PDA

View Full Version : PC Bearing

gusto
01-07-2004, 07:02 PM
I just received my pc 7424 from coastal tool and it doesnt sound right. It`s making a grinding noise and it sounds like its coming from the bearing. Is this normal?

I put the 6" counter-weight and the problem still exists.

gusto
01-07-2004, 07:21 PM
Is there a break in period or something ?

armoredsaint
01-07-2004, 07:24 PM
Is it a squeaky sound when it is stopping? Mine does that too.

gusto
01-07-2004, 07:25 PM
It makes the sound while its running.

BlueDragonZ
01-07-2004, 07:25 PM
I`ve been reading up on this subject trying to familiarize myself with a PC because I won one here. I read a post by someone asking the same thing and I think it`s a natural noise that the machine makes if it`s not on a surface. I`m sure the PC Gurus will chime in here soon.

gusto
01-07-2004, 07:30 PM
What about the hook and loop backing pad that came with my pc. Couldn`t I of used that backing plate instead of ordering the meguiars plate ?

gusto
01-07-2004, 08:04 PM
Is the only difference between the two plates the size ?

chu_singming
01-07-2004, 08:20 PM
Gusto, I`m having similar issues with my PC that I got from Coastal Tool (how ironic). I`m not sure if it`s a problem or not. Mine doesn`t really grind but it just has an odd sound coming from it. When I shake it, I can hear things rattling on the inside. Also, on speed 6 with the 6" counterweight, it vibrates like all hell, I can barely stand it.

Don`t know what the problem is.

gusto
01-07-2004, 08:24 PM
Thats good to know, mine is also making a ratttling noise when its off. Looks like I`ll be returning mine.

Accumulator
01-08-2004, 10:25 AM
Whenever you`re usure about some new purchase, I wouldn`t argue against sending it back while you still can. There`s no "break in" period. If you have a return period that is NOT about to expire, I`d use it for a while and see if the noise gets worse. Generally, when there`s something wrong, you can REALLY tell and it DOES get worse.

Both of my (well used) PCs rattle when I shake them (turned off). Some make more noise than others, I only get them serviced when it gets REALLY bad/unusual (as in "whoa, this thing`s REALLY screwed up!" sounding). Some make a "wind down" noise more than others when you turn them off.

Some people are more sensitive to the vibration, especially at speed 6, than others. Using a smaller/lighter backing plate, and even smaller pads, with the 6" counterweight can help. I sorta like my new flex plate from CMA. It`s 5", but I use it with 6" pads and counterweight.

Gusto- Yeah, you can use all sorts of different backing plates (with the 6" counterweight). There will be subtle differences, but nothing to worry about.

There`s just a LOT of indivual variation at work here, between the PCs and the users. It`s sorta like a snowblower, it`s NOT what some would call a smooth, quiet piece of machinery, at least at speed.

Heh heh, or you could always get a Cyclo...it`s a lot more, uhm, "sophisticated" with regard to its noise and vibration.

togwt
01-08-2004, 12:09 PM
Quote: PC Bearing

~One man’s opinion, observation~

This may help you get familiar with your PC

http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14421 PC Acessories

http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums/detailing/forum.php?postid=1430487&page=1 PC Usage

~Hope this helps~

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/

justadumbarchitect * so i question everything*