PDA

View Full Version : New paint questions...

VegasShawn
01-07-2004, 04:49 PM
Hey all, just got my Monte Carlo back from the painters and I have some detailing / paint questions.

1. I have to put some decals back on the car (Monte Carlo decals). The painter put some wax on the car before I picked it up. I am assuming that I need to get the wax off of the areas where I am going to apply these decals. Any way to do that safely?

2. The car still has a faint "paint smell" when it`s in the garage. Should I wait until the smell is completely gone before waxing the car myself? It`s been painted for more than a month now. Well, he waxed it, so I am *assuming* that it`s ok.

3. Is APC+ a good product for cleaning the wheel wells? The outisde of the car looks so good now, the wheel wells look absolutely awful.

4. Any ideas on polishing / cleaning my exhaust tips? I was going to hit them when some 6:1 APC+ and then an SOS pad, followed by some light grit paper and finally some metal polish? Does that sounds reasonable?

Here`s the obligatory pic:

http://vegasshawn.smugmug.com/photos/1892534-M.jpg

Gallery:

http://vegasshawn.smugmug.com/gallery/53736

imported_BretFraz
01-07-2004, 05:46 PM
Sweet car!!! I`ve always like the AeroCoupes.

To answer your questions:

1. Use isopropyl alcohol or something like 3M Wax, Grease, and Tar Remover. Whatever is on there should come off easily.

2. Sounds to me like the paint is still curing. I`d talk to my painter before I did anything. Only he will know when its safe to wax it. Many painters will allow a glaze to be used but that`s about it.

3. APC+ is fine as is most any multi purpose cleaner. This is where stuff like Simple Green works well.

4. Are your tips stainless steel or aluminum? They look like plain metal tubing. If you think they`ll polish up shiny, try Mothers Mag Wheel polish and some fine steel wool, like #00. Anything too coarse or harsh and you could damage the finish permanently.

Hope all this helps.

EDIT

Looking closely at your pic gallery it appears the body shp used a glaze on your paint. http://products3.3m.com/catalog/us/en001/auto_marine_aero/marine/node_GS9ZQ7L1LHgs/root_GST1T4S9TCgv/vroot_GS4JK4Y166ge/bgel_GSLMG3B7RPbl/gvel_9NQK7NZ8TZgl/theme_us_marine_3_0/command_AbcPageHandler/output_html

If that`s true (and probably is knowing most body shops) then there is no wax to strip off. A wash with a household detergent like Dawn will take off any glaze that`s left. But before waxing you really should talk to the painter and see what he says. If the car is not used as a daily driver I think you`ll be OK for another few weeks until the paint cures somemore.

And one more thing: Wash The Avalanche!!! If you`re gonna hang out with us OCD car detailer types you can`t go driving around in a dirty truck. :nono

Alright? Alright!! :up :up

VegasShawn
01-08-2004, 12:54 AM
Thanks for the info! Yeah, the Avalanche is absolutely FILTHY. It has been raining about 1 day per week here in Vegas for about the past couple of weeks (not including the snow we got).

So, I have been waiting for a good time to wash it (this weekend). We have those new water restrictions in Las Vegas that state we can`t wash our own cars now. I gotta get my pressure washer together so I can at least be somewhat frugal with my water.

I REALLY don`t want to go to the machine wash with their recycled water.