PDA

View Full Version : Griots Vs Pela Oil Extractor?

jw
01-06-2004, 09:00 PM
Is there a difference between the pela 650 and the griots oil exctractor. I can`t decide between the two. The griots one looks like it`s $20 bucks cheaper than the pela.

Thanks

Bill D
01-06-2004, 10:34 PM
I have a pela, I`m not sure what the model number is, but I think it is the griots equivalant. A few years back Consumer reports tested the griots and the pela, because the pela is cheaper I got that one.I also recently purchased editional hoses for the extractor directly from pela, good service :up

GearHead_1
01-06-2004, 11:08 PM
Here`s one worthy of consideration. They make a pneumatic version of this also.

http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/shop/MIT-7201.html

MityVac

Fluid Evacuator Plus

Order# MIT7201

$97.35 List Price

$56.05 On Sale!

[Add to Cart] [View Cart]

• No power required, creates vacuum and pressure

• Ability to evacuate and dispense most automotive liquids and chemicals.

• External pump design

• Large capacity 8.8 liter fluid resevoir

• Automatic flow control prevents overfilling

• Pressure relief valve for safety

• Durable polyethylene construction will not rust or corrode

• Dip stick tube included for engine oil removal

tom p.
01-07-2004, 07:49 AM
Pela has a few different models. I suspect Pela is the OEM for Griot`s unit.

Noteworty: MityVac has a large unit similar to the Pela. it`s a multi-purpose config and can be used for other tasks. I would strongly recommend checking it out before buying anything else as it can perform other routine jobs we all enjoy.

Try to get a unit made from clear/translucent plastic so you can see how much oil you have actually pulled out. Otherwise, you don`t know if you`ve done a good job. :( I think the Pela has gradient markings on the canister to indicated fluid amount.

topnotchtouch
01-07-2004, 08:53 AM
Has anyone used either of these units for extracting brake fluid? It looks like it would be great for flushing the brake system.

tom p.
01-07-2004, 08:59 AM
the MityVac will do both jobs. that`s why I mentioned it.

topnotchtouch
01-07-2004, 09:03 AM
Have you used any of these units for flushing the brake system? I was hoping for input from someone who has actually used any of these units for that purpose.

togwt
01-07-2004, 09:43 AM
Quote: Griots Vs Pela Oil Extractor?

~One man’s opinion, observation~

I use a Griot’s Brake Fluid Extractor (P/T # 55615) as it ‘exchanges’ brake fluid (includes a reservoir bottle for new fluid)

I also own the Hand Pump Oil/Liquid Extractor and use it for oil, coolant/anti freeze solution, etc. I prefer the other extractor for brake fluids, as it’s foolproof (you have my word on that, see justa…) J

~Hope this helps~

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/

justadumbarchitect * so i question everything*

tom p.
01-07-2004, 10:27 AM
I have all separate units for the different jobs. :nixweiss If the MityVac unit was available earlier, I probably would have purchased that unit versus the different units I have ended up with.

I really like the MOTIVE pressure bleeder ($45) for our VWs and other euro cars. You have to make sure they have an appropriate adapter for your brake reservoir. Many cars with ABS systems require a pressure bleeder to properly bleed/flush.

I also have the Griot`s Garage vacuum bleeder which gets connected to your air compressor and sucks fluid out by means of a venturi...it works quite well but was big $$.