PDA

View Full Version : 100% cotton...are they really?

elbee
01-06-2004, 04:54 PM
I read somewhere that so-called all-cotton towels and cloths that are made in Bangledesh or Pakistan aren`t really 100% cotton and can scratch. It just so happens that the bag of cloths I bought at Costco are just that. No wonder I didn`t have any swirls back when I used to steal my mom`s old Fieldcrest bath towels! Looks like I`ll have to swing for a PC.

You really do get what you pay for! Duh!

spartacus_33
01-06-2004, 05:23 PM
The scratching in cheap cotton towels is often caused by bits of seed that is embedded in the cloth. I would look at your towels very closely before using on paint.

medic159
01-06-2004, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by jermar

The scratching in cheap cotton towels is often caused by bits of seed that is embedded in the cloth. I would look at your towels very closely before using on paint.

Seed? Did you say seed? :o

imported_mirrorfinishman
01-06-2004, 09:58 PM
Not 100% cotton? I guess anything is possible.

Just a side note. I always like to pre-wash my towels before using them. It seems to help soften and condition the cotton. Plus you also know for sure that they`re clean.

BillNorth
01-06-2004, 10:14 PM
Those towels usually have a polyster backing (so I`ve read) whereas the good ones (Charismas in particular) do not. It`s the polyster that scratches the paint. I use charismas (I know, I`m old school :D ) and have no problems.

Bill.

foxtrapper
01-09-2004, 10:27 AM
It`s not simply Bangladesh, it`s everywhere. I and others used to burn a lot of scrap cotton cloth in our bee smokers. Most have given up because lots of 100% pure cottons turn out to have plastic threads in them for strength. Burning plastics doesn`t do good things to bees.

The blame really goes back to US advertising laws. To be 100%, you only have to be 97% or so. The exact tolerance varies with the product. Manufacturers of course take full advantage of that.