PDA

View Full Version : What cause buffer marks: Product or Pad?

imported_jgv
01-06-2004, 07:54 AM
When buffing with the rotary, is it the pad, the product or both that causes those hologram marks? What I mean is, using a finishing pad w/ something like DACP will cause them? Or is it the cutting power from the pad (foam) that does it.

This question leads to another, is it possible to remove those marks 100% with a rotary, following the least aggressive pad/product way?

Gonzo
01-06-2004, 08:22 AM
When I was practicing with my rotary on my wife`s beater, I introduced holograms into the finish by moving the buffer too fast (maybe 12 inches/second) over the paint (maybe it was rotating too fast as well - I don`t remember). When I went back over that affected area, moving the buffer at about 4 inches per second, the holo`s disappeared. I was using DACP at the time and the holo`s became visible after it had dusted and I was wiping off with a MF towel. Applied about a 1/2 dose of DACP to the pad and repeated area and consiously made myself move the buffer slower and perhaps slowed rotation speed a little as well. Holo`s were history.