PDA

View Full Version : Buffer / Machine

Woob
01-06-2004, 12:04 AM
What rotary / PC / Cyclo do you use? What is your setup?

What kinda pads and backplate + counterweight do u use?

Are they velcro? where did u get em from?

Just wondering what everyone runs. would be cool to hear what sizes or setups ppl use. thanks!:bounce

chris0626
01-06-2004, 12:17 AM
I know this isn`t a full answer to your question ... but ... have you read 4DSC`s Definitive PC Accessorizing Thread (http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14421) in our Hall of Fame forum? If you go with the PC, that thread will give you good info on what pads/weights/etc. you might want to consider.

I have the PC. I get my velcro-backed foam pads from TOL; so far as I`ve been able to find, nobody else can match their prices.

Woob
01-06-2004, 07:37 AM
Yes I have read that article intensively. I just wanna know which combos ppl run thats all. Thanks. oh what size?

Gonzo
01-06-2004, 08:26 AM
Anyone use the CMA (variable contact) pads with a rotary? Regulars (DAP_KIT) and the orange power pad? Are they "robust" enough to hold up to the added stress placed on them but the rotary? It would seem to me the CMA pads could get into the nooks and crannies a little easier the a Meg`s type pad. I have both, but just not tried the non-Megs pads on the roatry.

Accumulator
01-06-2004, 01:07 PM
SilvaBimma- For the Cyclo, I generally use the pads available from TOL (yellow cutting, green polishing, white finishing), although I`m gonna take Anthony`s advice and cut my OWN finishing pads from bigger Lake, etc. ones. I don`t think you really need anything softer than the Cyclo finishing pads, but I`m tired of picking the Velcro slubs out of them.

For the Makita rotary and the PC, I`m starting to prefer the "flex" pads. I use the 6" counterweight with the PC unless I`m doing some small spot repair with a 4" pad (which isn`t very often). I use Lake, Griot`s, and Meg`s pads with the PC.

Haven`t done much with the rotary yet (and it`s been YEARS since I was using one regularly), but *I* would urge everyone to stick with MILD pads and products until you`re VERY experienced. It will still do jobs the random orbitals can`t, even with the mild combos. I like the 6-6.5" pads (with a flex plate) better than the bigger ones. And I sure like using the Makita a LOT better than the Milwaukee that I used back in the day. Heh heh, I liked the CONCEPT of the heavy-duty rotary more than the actual USING of it.

LouisanaJeeper
01-06-2004, 01:51 PM
PC w/ 6"CW and hook + look backing plate. 7.5" yellow, white, and black LC pads and a couple 6" white ones for tight areas.