PDA

View Full Version : 3 coats of SG offer any protection from cold?

DefBringer
01-05-2004, 05:04 PM
Here I am sitting on my duff, can`t make my mind up on what wax topper to put on my new car. Car has been properly prepped with AIO and 3 coats of SG with 48 hours of time between coats.

However, it is absolutely NASTY outside...its about 20 degrees with ice and salt everywhere. It`s too cold for the spray wash joints, even.

Until I get my car waxed, is the SG doing anything at all to protect the paint? Or is SG simply for looks?

2wheelsx2
01-05-2004, 05:28 PM
SG is more about protection than looks. The topper is more for looks than anything.

Jngrbrdman
01-05-2004, 05:38 PM
I use SG in the winter pretty exclusively. I use it because they spray salt all over the roads here and with it being as cold as it gets around here, I need all the protection I can get between washes. My 3 or 4 layers of SG will last me from October through February in a Salt Lake City winter. I top with P21S when I get a chance because that just sort of helps it look better and helps it rinse cleaner.

I think you are pretty safe with what you have. Your car is being nice and protected. Not from the cold, but from the crud that gets all over your car. Its still not bullet proof, however. You still need to get it washed as soon as you can. All that stuff on the surface is wearing on the SG. For best durability results you still need to try and get the surface cleaned when you get a chance.

DefBringer
01-05-2004, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by 2wheelsx2

SG is more about protection than looks. The topper is more for looks than anything.

Really? I had thought just the opposite was true.

Ya learn something every day...

DefBringer
01-05-2004, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by Jngrbrdman

I use SG in the winter pretty exclusively. I use it because they spray salt all over the roads here and with it being as cold as it gets around here, I need all the protection I can get between washes. My 3 or 4 layers of SG will last me from October through February in a Salt Lake City winter. I top with P21S when I get a chance because that just sort of helps it look better and helps it rinse cleaner.

I think you are pretty safe with what you have. Your car is being nice and protected. Not from the cold, but from the crud that gets all over your car. Its still not bullet proof, however. You still need to get it washed as soon as you can. All that stuff on the surface is wearing on the SG. For best durability results you still need to try and get the surface cleaned when you get a chance.

I`ll probably QEW it in my garage tomorrow night. It`s not absolutely filthy just yet, but when this junk starts to melt it`s going to be disgusting. BTW, do you think another layer of SG (total of 4 layers) is worthwhile?

stilez
01-05-2004, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by DefBringer

BTW, do you think another layer of SG (total of 4 layers) is worthwhile?

Additional coats of SG will "re-new" the durability of the product and enhance shine a little more. By the sounds of your whether, you are looking at about 4-6 months of durability.

As many experienced Klasse users on here will tell you, after 5 coats of SG, the shine is at it`s maximum. You are just wasting product after that.

Yes, you can just keep applying a coat of SG per month, but after a while you`re gonna need to polish out all of your defects, so why waste your product. :D

2wheelsx2
01-05-2004, 06:59 PM
I concur, if you would really like to continue to apply something :), then try different carnauba toppers. I suspect that you`re going to have to polish in the spring to get out minor scratches and swirls from all the junk on the paint anyway. At least, that`s my plan.

Got 2 coats of SG on the WRX, and just started putting UPP on top for slickness. Consider trying that. I really like the look of that combo, and I think Jngrbrdman will concur.

Jngrbrdman
01-05-2004, 07:23 PM
Yup. I definitely agree with that. I use SG for protection and UPP for looks. 3 or 4 layers of SG topped with a good carnauba looks about the same as a couple layers of UPP all by itself. If you want the best of both worlds then layer them together and have a polymer sandwich. :)

LouisanaJeeper
01-05-2004, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by 2wheelsx2

yup