PDA

View Full Version : How do you spray dressing on exterior trim?

imported_jgv
01-05-2004, 03:29 PM
When using a dressing on an aerosol form, how do you spray it on exterior trim while not spraying the paint?

Kleanride
01-05-2004, 03:36 PM
I don`t know how good this is for the paint, but I spray all the trim prior to washing-paying little mind to the overspray. After 1 wash, Stoners hangs on with no problem. I spray it on, let it sit for a few minutes, then wash the car, with great success.

jsoto
01-05-2004, 04:45 PM
Same here. Been wondering the same. For example, the trim on the door panels or near the bumpers.

If I was to wash, polish & wax the car, it defeats the purpose of me taping the area near the trim and then appying the trim product. I`m currently using Autoglym Bumper Care on the bumpers and also on the door panel trim & protective moldings. The consistency of Bumper Care is like Tooth Paste with some minute *polishing grit* in it.

I`ve been just doing this last and in the areas where I can`t help but touch the paint a little like areas by the protective molding, I just use QD and wipe clean. I`m not too crazed about doing it this way since I know the product has some polishing grit in it and may mar the polished surface.

hondaguy2582
01-05-2004, 05:11 PM
Imo, spray your foam pad or w/e applicator you have first, then apply it to the trim. This allows more even coverage, and less sling around the paint and glass. Also, what ppl have mentioned about detailing the trim b4 washing the car is a good idea since some might get on the paint.

SK2003TypeS
01-05-2004, 05:33 PM
I spray on the applicator, then apply to the trim. I use a MF with some 303 for my rubber trim.

If I`m using Stoner`s Invisible Glass, I crunch up some newspaper and shoot it with the Stoner`s IG and wipe away.

I do the same thing with my tire swipes and dressing.

imported_mirrorfinishman
01-05-2004, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by jgv

When using a dressing on an aerosol form, how do you spray it on exterior trim while not spraying the paint?

I never spray the actual trim. I always spray the dressing on an applicator cloth and then apply it to the trim. That way you can easily control where and how much of the dressing gets applied.

I also do the same thing when cleaning windows. I always apply the cleaner, Stoners Invisible Glass, to the cleaning cloth rather than spray the glass. This greatly reduces any chance of unwanted overspray.

Just some additional thoughts...

imported_ajbarnes
01-05-2004, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by SK2003TypeS

I spray on the applicator, then apply to the trim. I use a MF with some 303 for my rubber trim.

If I`m using Stoner`s Invisible Glass, I crunch up some newspaper and shoot it with the Stoner`s IG and wipe away.

I do the same thing with my tire swipes and dressing.

Same Here. :xyxthumbs

Anthony O.
01-05-2004, 08:05 PM
As long as the car is in great shape, trim wise, I never apply any dressing to them.

Whether I dress them or not they are almost always taped off and then if they are to be dressed I do so right before my final wax or sealant.

I almost always apply trime dressing by hand with either a sponge or with these triangle makeup applicator sponges that I steal from my wifes make-up bag. These little sponges are awesome for use as applicators because of the various sides or angles you can use to apply dressing, both for the extrerior and interior.

Another option if you use a spray dressing, like Stoners, spray the trim after you wash it but just before you buff it. This way if any residue gets on the trim from buffing it should wipe easily off.

Anthony

LouisanaJeeper
01-05-2004, 08:39 PM
I usually apply the dressing to a paper towel then rub on.

imported_neoflex
01-06-2004, 12:19 PM
I apply to a sponge first than apply to trim. I used to just use 3Ms

ReFresh on trim(That is before Autopia). I also did not have alot

of trim on my vehicles, That is until my fiance and I picked up an 04

Grand Cherokee, with the lower half being all raw plastic. I know use

303 and apply to a sponge first and evenly distribute, same with the

tire dressing. With the tires I then go back and wipe all excess with a

crappy terry towel after I let the dressing soak in for a 1/2 hour.

Patrick
01-06-2004, 04:19 PM
tips (http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23965&highlight)