PDA

View Full Version : Car wash without need for drying

imported_JetBlack
01-04-2004, 10:51 PM
The other day I heard on TV (while I was busy with something else) that a new car wash system was being demonstrated at a car show (may be Detroit ?) which uses somekind of shampoo that avoids water marks and no drying is needed. Now this would be a dream come true, I just hate drying the car. I do not think I was dreaming, I think it was really on TV. Anybody else heard of this? Do you have any details? I am gonna keep googling and try to see I get some more info on this.

CRXSi90
01-04-2004, 11:00 PM
I don`t know about anything new that eliminates the need to dry a car, but I know some car washes have been around for a while that make the water "sheet" off the car instead of beading up.

There are probably a lot of brands that have that effect, but one I can think of is some turtle wax product....but anything that says "prevents waterspots" or "eliminates drying" or something like that will probably do the same thing.

Even with those washes I know about, you still need to finish up drying the car.

Another thing that will help drying is unscrewing the sprayer on your hose and just let the water run over the car. It will collect all the beads and run off in a sheet, leaving the panel mostly dry.

If you remember any more, let us know!

imported_JetBlack
01-04-2004, 11:02 PM
Here is what I found, I think this is the one I heard on TV:

Mr Clean (http://www.homemadesimple.com/mrcleanautodry/unit_demo.shtml)

imported_JetBlack
01-04-2004, 11:03 PM
Oh, the question is has anybody on this forum tried this Mr Clean thingy yet? I aint gonna be the one the first to try it :cool:

imported_JetBlack
01-04-2004, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by CRXSi90

I know some car washes have been around for a while that make the water "sheet" off the car instead of beading up.

Yeah I know about that, I use that technique as much as I can. But this thing is supposed to use some kind water filter + shampoo to avoid water spots. The problem is I do not trust it, it seems too good to be true.

MSOsr
01-05-2004, 12:06 AM
Read here: http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=28653&highlight=Clean+autodry

CRXSi90
01-05-2004, 12:07 AM
Whew, too much for me to read right now, but I found a few threads about the product...I didn`t read far enough to see if anyone actually got results...

http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=28653

http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=28102

hondaguy2582
01-05-2004, 12:33 AM
its not worth buying, go buy an inline water filter. Its not easy to use either.

imported_JetBlack
01-05-2004, 02:03 AM
Thank you all (I should have searched autopia for mr clean :o ). I will not be buying the mr clean kit :xyxthumbs and I am looking into the RV Filter idea. I will probably order the filter and try it out.

rd_volvo
01-05-2004, 10:24 AM
I think true fanatics would not go for that as a final QDing is a integral part of the great presentation.

armoredsaint
01-05-2004, 10:48 AM
they sell the inline water filter at Wally World at the RV section that would attach directly to the hose. Not sure how well it works in terms of stopping the water spots or if it reduces pressure?

Patrick
01-05-2004, 11:26 AM
My experience with Mr Clean Auto Dry System:

I got to give my new Mr Clean Auto Dry today on my pickup. I was eager to give it a whirl. I think I had a better experience with it than most did, although i do have one concern. Let me explain, my truck was rather filthy due to all the rain we have had, so I didnt think i could just "Hose and Go", so i had a bucket with some BF wash available. But after hooking up M/C, i wet the truck, head to toe, switched to soap selection, and a generous supply of soap was applied to the truck, i proceeded to wash in my regular fashion, section at a time. I immediatley noticed my sponge turning black, this was not typical of my normal washings at all. And the dirt seemed to stick to the sponge, it was difficult to clean the sponge to move on to another section. Anyway, after sudsing and washing the truck, i returned the nozzle setting to regular rinse. A generous amt of water streamed from the nozzle, very similiar to my normal adapter. After all was rinsed, i set the nozzle to final rinse, a small fine spray emitted from the nozzle. This setting would be difficult for hard to reach areas, as i later learned. Theres absolutely no sheeting or beeding effect with this setting, or was there with the regular rinse mode. I dont know if thats hereditary with the Polymer additive or not. The truck rinsed well, completely spot free, and was incredibly clean, even the rims were spot free.

Now comes the interesting part. I thought i would quickly put on a layer of BF, my fav choice. I put about a dime sized spot on my sponge hand applicator, folded the sponge for even distribution, reapplied a dime size, and folded again. When i went to apply the BF with the open applicator, the applicator with BF practically stuck, and then skid across the paint surface. It was like the surface was completely free of any previous protection. Now I dont know if the surface was, actually stripped, or if it was the polymer additive. This is what puzzles me. I think the product in and of itself, is great. It definelty cut my drying time 95%, all i did was wipe drips from here or there, but the finish it leaves is perplexing......

I almost forgot, "the thing i would get to later", i guess i didnt rinse the top of cab well enough, because it streaked like hell, im not sure if i just waited too long to rinse with normal water, or if i couldnt reach it with the final rinse setting. But when i went to apply the BF, it looked terrible. The BF was even hard to remove, I had to assist with QS....ALl in all the truck looks fabulous, with M/C and a coat of BF.....BTW, the internet site is offering $5.00 coupons. I got mine at Target for $20.00 so for $15.00, I dont think its that bad of a product, i think its worth it....To each there own, just my $.02....

rstype
01-11-2004, 01:10 AM
Another initial review: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49937