PDA

View Full Version : Removing tire dressing

Pages : [1] 2

humanx
01-03-2004, 08:52 PM
What is the best product for removing built up layers of tire dressing? Will S-100 or Simple Green work?

Thanks, ~Humanx

imported_edschwab1
01-03-2004, 08:55 PM
Both products you mentioned should work, if you mean S100 wheel cleaner. I would try Eo A2Z wheel and tire cleaner or EFHI if have either.

LouisanaJeeper
01-03-2004, 09:32 PM
simple green

SVR
01-03-2004, 09:41 PM
Top quality tire dressings shouldn`t build up. Meguiars endurance does for sure, that`s why i changed to JAL tyre rejuvinator. It never builds up and it takes seconds to do a tyre. non silicone too.

andriver
01-03-2004, 11:00 PM
I second Blackregal.

humanx
01-03-2004, 11:28 PM
SVR,

You guessed correctly. The buildup was from using Meguiar`s Endurance. What`s JAL tire rejuvinator? ~Humanx

imported_FLAWLESS
01-03-2004, 11:51 PM
I also use EO A2Z, but be very careful with it. I had it stain my wheels and it was almost impossible to remove the stains. I applied it to the tires and while I was scrubbing it of course ran onto the wheels. Sat on there for maybe 2 minutes tops, but that`s all it took to do the damage. So keep the wheels wet or rise if you get runs.

shaf
01-05-2004, 02:08 AM
Originally posted by FLAWLESS

I also use EO A2Z, but be very careful with it. I had it stain my wheels and it was almost impossible to remove the stains. I applied it to the tires and while I was scrubbing it of course ran onto the wheels. Sat on there for maybe 2 minutes tops, but that`s all it took to do the damage. So keep the wheels wet or rise if you get runs. Wheel cleaners in general can cause trouble if you let them dry out on the finish because they become super concentrated. Personally A2Z has never caused me any grief and will definitely strip off tire dressing down to bare rubber. I have found tire cleaners not to be this powerful.

Humanx I don`t know what your routine is, but I have never experienced tire dressing buildup. However, I also clean the tire with tire cleaner every time I wash the car and then re-dress the tire afterwards. If you just keep reapplying dressing all the time without cleaning or partially stripping the tires (which is probably what a tire cleaner accomplishes) then buildup could be a problem.

imported_kgb
01-05-2004, 07:58 AM
I would not suggest Simple Green at all. A2Z is so much safer and works awesome! Just do what the directions say and don`t let it sit too long and you will be fine.

SVR
01-05-2004, 08:24 AM
4D i agree - letting any wheel cleaner or even my omikron super gloss which i use to clean my mags to dry is a no no. The reason it would build up is say you wash you car once a week and spent an hour every day for the next 7 days touching up the car and if you re dressed the tires with endurance, it would become residue`y after three or four days.

The JAL stuff does last for some time but will lose it`s shine if the weather turns nasty and it rains hard enough.

Humanx - i have the website of jal chemicals but unfortunately there is no listing of the tyre stuff.

It`s a tyre dressing that is a clear, liquid and you simply spray some on a rag and wipe it on the tyre. Easy to put on. The best thing about it is that it rejuvinates the rubber and gives the tyre the smoothest feel and the most incredible shine. The longer you leave the stuff on before driving your car the better the shine gets and it`s not sticky or shilacky like the endurance gel is

Majority of the time i detail my car between 9 am and 12pm and don`t drive the car again until the next morning and the shine is awesome. The tyres never go brown either, even if the rain pisses down on them which is what causes tyres to go brown in the first place. Tyres hate water.

imported_mirrorfinishman
01-05-2004, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by humanx

What is the best product for removing built up layers of tire dressing? Will S-100 or Simple Green work?

Thanks, ~Humanx

I use Wesley`s White Wall Cleaner to remove builtup layers of tire dressing on either white wall or black wall tires.

I spray the tires before I begin to wash, let it sit a few minutes on the tires and then rinse it off. Then I`ll use a hard bristle scrub brush and plenty of dish detergent. Sometimes I repeat the process until the tires are completely clean.

It`s very important that the wheels are not hot during the cleaning process. Of course, it`s a good idea to only spray the sidewall of the tires, not the wheels.

togwt
01-05-2004, 09:33 AM
Quote: Removing tire dressing

~One man’s opinion~

I use P21S Total Auto Wash (biodegradable, citrus based cleaner) I’ve found that cleaners with natural ingredients as opposed to chemicals don’t harm whatever they are used on

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/

justadumbarchitect * so i question everything*

Spilchy
01-05-2004, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by TOGWT

Quote: Removing tire dressing

~One man’s opinion~

I use P21S Total Auto Wash (biodegradable, citrus based cleaner) I’ve found that cleaners with natural ingredients as opposed to chemicals don’t harm whatever they are used on

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/

justadumbarchitect * so i question everything*

TAW is a tad expensive for my budget to be used on tires.

I use EFHI dilluted 1:1 and it works great as well as stretching the amount of applications given the dillution.

Bill D
01-05-2004, 02:56 PM
For as long as Ive been using 303 Ive never any build up of any kind on my tires and for cleaning I could use something slightly more agressive in strength than say a glass cleaner ( just as an example, I would never apply to tires) and my tires would be completely clean. I remain totally loyal to 303 for my tires and rubber parts. I find it fantastic. :up

imported_kgb
01-05-2004, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by Bill D

For as long as Ive been using 303 Ive never any build up of any kind on my tires and for cleaning I could use something slightly more agressive in strength than say a glass cleaner ( just as an example, I would never apply to tires) and my tires would be completely clean. I remain totally loyal to 303 for my tires and rubber parts. I find it fantastic. :up

I thought my tires were clean too until I sprayed them with A2Z and saw a brown puddle around my tires. ;)