PDA

View Full Version : Pc Rpm

jab
01-03-2004, 07:46 PM
What is the desired rpm for polishing and waxing with a PC 7424? Is 6 speed too fast for polishing, or is polishing better with 4.5-5? Is waxing with 4.0 a good speed?

hondaguy2582
01-03-2004, 07:49 PM
Well, its not rpms, its more opm(orbits per min). For polishing, anywhere from 4-6 is good, with 6 being used to break things down like dacp faster and 4.5 for polishes like smr. For waxing, 3 or 4 is a good speed to wax at. Hope this helps.

jab
01-03-2004, 07:50 PM
Thanks for the tips.

jab
01-03-2004, 07:52 PM
What about using Klasse, should this be better applied with PC or by hand? If by PC, is 4.0 good speed?

hondaguy2582
01-03-2004, 08:01 PM
If you want, use aio with the white pad(or w/e polishing pad u have) on the speed of 4-4.5. You can do it by hand also, but youll get more cleaning action and be done faster if done by the pc. Its better prep for the sg layer too.

jab
01-03-2004, 08:02 PM
What about applying SG?

hondaguy2582
01-03-2004, 08:31 PM
Apply that by hand, haven`t tried it by pc. It was meant more for hand.

BillNorth
01-04-2004, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by jab

What is the desired rpm for polishing and waxing with a PC 7424? Is 6 speed too fast for polishing, or is polishing better with 4.5-5? Is waxing with 4.0 a good speed?

I usually smear the polish onto the section first (to avoid splatter). I then start working it into the surface @ 2-2.5 in front to back then side to side overlapping motions. Once it starts to dry up I up the speed to 4-4.5 to continue with the polishing and to buff off the residue and uncover the shine. Again going in front to back then side to side overlapping motions.

I know many will disagree with this technique. It seems using the PC @ speed 6 is in vogue. I personally find that I am able to break down my polish of choice (FI2) with no problems.

When I did use it on speed 6 the machine still did vibrate a bit (even with the 6" CW). My fingers went numb after a couple of panels.

JMHO...

Bill.

Accumulator
01-04-2004, 01:07 PM
jab- I use the PC with a finishing pad to apply SG all the time, works fine. I usually use speed 4 or so. Just be carful to NOT apply it too thick.

The same speed (4-4.5) works fine for applying waxes, at least for me. Just did the A8 with 3M`s Showcar Paste- Griot`s red pad, speed 4.5, removed with a Meg`s MF bonnet over a Meg`s cutting pad, speed 5-6. Worked like a charm.

Generally, anything you can do by hand you can do by PC, it`s just a "fast hand" that doesn`t get tired.

Heh heh, I just posted something almost IDENTICAL to the University....my day to be Mr.-SG-by-PC :)

As far as speeds for polishing go, it`s not like 6 is "too fast" in a functional sense, but as BillNorth said, some people find the vibration to be a bit much. If you`re able to break down your polish/get the job done, then whatever speed you`re using is fast enough for you. I`ve always done most of my PC polishing at 6, but that`s just what *I* like to do.

Oh, FWIW, using the CMA 5" flexible velcro backing plate with a *6"* counterweight REALLY cut down the vibration, and worked fine with 6-6.5" pads.

shaf
01-05-2004, 02:21 AM
Originally posted by BillNorth

I know many will disagree with this technique. It seems using the PC @ speed 6 is in vogue. I personally find that I am able to break down my polish of choice (FI2) with no problems. Well, the way you use your PC is almost exactly the way I use mine! I found 6 to give too much vibration and, even worse, it caused my pads to shed tiny amounts of foam. :eek: Needless to say I stopped doing this because pads are expensive!

At a max speed of 5 though, it still works for me. :)

Accumulator I firmly believe that lighter is better as far as backing plates go. Everything I`ve read and tried so far has supported this, and I have a lighter plate waiting for spring to be tried. You wouldn`t happen to know what your flex plate weighs would you? ;)

Accumulator
01-05-2004, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by 4DSC

..You wouldn`t happen to know what your flex plate weighs would you? ;)

6" SAND-ALL ("regular", solid) velcro backing plate for PC ~4.1 oz.

5" Flex velcro etc. etc. ~3.15 oz.

The 6" backing plate with the holes would be a little less than the solid one, but it won`t be a huge difference. Can`t find :confused: my "regular" 5" backing plate so I can`t say what THAT weighs.

BTW, the 6" "flex" plate doesn`t really flex much at all, but I still like it.

shaf
01-05-2004, 11:18 PM
Ah thanks Accumulator! That compares well to the weight of the Meguiar`s plate, which is also 3oz, and people have reported that runs smoother too. :up