PDA

View Full Version : Waxing Techniques???

JaCkaL829
12-31-2003, 06:29 PM
Hello:

OK well i`ve been reading a lot of posts on this forum and other reading materials. I`ve also learned a lot about products and their specific purposes. I just want to make sure im on the right page here, so im gonna ask a very basic question. How should I apply my wax; in a circular motion or i guess in "up and down" or "side to side" motion. I`ve always though circular motion was the way to go. I`ve done my parents cars and mine always wit a circular motion. I was reading the directions to my P21s and it says it should be applied in a "back and forth motion". Should I also use this motion with my Meguiars #7 also??? I guess my general question is, do different products require different applications(motions) for them to be applied. I also noticed while reading the instructions for Zymol Cleaner Wax on their website it says don`t apply in a circular motion only back and forth. But it then goes on to say an orbital buffer is ok. This to me seems to contradict itself. Also while reading the top sub heading learn, it goes into to say apply wax in a back and forth motion. I do all my waxing by hand so should I start to get use to the "back and forth" motion with all my polishes and waxes or should it only be for some??? Like different kinds of polishes or waxes. If someone can break this down for me i`d really appreciate.

Thanks in advance.

:bow

imported_BretFraz
12-31-2003, 07:25 PM
Dude, you are wayyyyyyyy over thinking all this.

Most of us here apply product in a back and forth or up and down motion. Some think that this method could minimize damage if a small piece of grit gets onto your app. But a scratch is a scratch, whether its in a straight line or curved one. Stuff happens but if you`re careful you can eliminate the "stuff" part.

Personally I apply in a back and forth because its easier on my wrists and arms and I find I can control the application a little better. But honestly, it doesn`t matter. Your goal is to apply the product evenly, not too much, not too little. Use whatever motion feels and works best for you. There is no hard and fast rule here.

And remember........ this is supposed to be fun. So enjoy yourself while working on your car and don`t sweat the small stuff. OK? :up :up

JaCkaL829
12-31-2003, 07:38 PM
O alright just didn`t want to do any harm to my paint`s already fragile surface. I know a lot of people on this forum have been stressing technique and preparation as to the actual products. I honestly feel more comfortable going in a circular motion. If this is an issue I should not go crazy with, then I guess i`ll continue in this pattern.

Thanks!

raymond_ho2002
12-31-2003, 07:57 PM
Clean your surface well enough and you won`t have to worry at all about scratches, curved ones or straight ones. I suggest going over your car with a quick detailer and towel to get any spots that you might not have thoroughly washed over.

I personally wax with an arcing motion, pivoting at my elbow as i move around the car. I guess it`s very much similar to how a kid would color in a sheet of paper with a crayon, arcing from left to right as they proceed down the sheet. That`s just what`s comfortable for me.

stevet
12-31-2003, 08:30 PM
I go front to back on the horizontal surfaces and top to bottom on the vertical. I find this way to be the most comfortable. I guess if a peice of dirt or grit was to get on the applicator the scratch might be less noticeable but it would still be a scratch.

Quik89si
12-31-2003, 09:20 PM
I always try to do it as the air would flow over the car...but always in a straight motion.

Alex

Accumulator
01-01-2004, 11:55 AM
JohnnyDaJackal - Yeah, as the others are saying, a scratch is a scratch. Do what you can to NOT let marring happen (i.e., don`t let any dirt get between your applicator and the paint), and just use whatever motion is comfortable.

This front-to-back stuff has been WAY overstated. While many people (myself included) find straight "swirlmarks" less objectionable than circular/elliptical ones, most people should be able to do their vehicles WITHOUT inflicting ANY swirlmarks anyhow.

Many people apply (and even remove) their "final step" products with a PC, and THAT sure doesn`t go front-to-back!

drdetail
01-01-2004, 02:34 PM
I wax with the PC. At speed 1 with a grey finishing pad. I spray the pad with QS then put a couple 8 inch lines of wax on each panel. Then work it in until a nice even coat is applied, i wait 20 minutes, then buff off the haze, which is minimal with a microfibre towel. I find that when waxing this way as opposed to by hand, the reduction of visible swirls is much greater.