PDA

View Full Version : can you use the 5"flexible back plate with the PC 7336 (with 6" counterweight)?

p986s
12-30-2003, 05:33 PM
I`ve read so much about the PC that now I am confused. I selected the 7336 as recommended on many threads. I have a BMW and after reading CCA article on german finishes, they suggest the orange and big green pads. They only fit the 5" back plate so I am wondering if the 7336 can use the 5" flexible back plate.

Thanks in advance!!!!!!

Accumulator
12-30-2003, 08:31 PM
p986s- Short answer: all PCs can use whatever size mounting plate. As long as it has the right threaded mounting post, it`ll work. 4, 5, 6" will all work.

Haven`t tried my flex plate yet, but I sure HOPE it works OK! It might work better/worse (i.e., with more or less vibration) with one counterweight or the other, though. Just looking at/holding it, I`d say it`ll work best with the 6" counterweight.

It`s best to have everything JUST RIGHT, but you can fudge this a lot, too. I myself like to have different size mounting plates (and matching counter weights) handy, they`re pretty affordable.

BTW, *I* would take the current discourses on "German paint" with a little grain of salt. I seem to recall that BMW paint IS a little softer than some others (haven`t owned a Bimmer for quite a while, forget what it was like..) but people have got GREAT results on them with all kinds of pads. And that Green Giant pad (another new purchase I haven`t gotten around to putting to use :o ) is gonna be *SO* mild that you`d better have a nearly perfect finish (as in, NO flaws that you can see with the naked eye) before you use it. *I* don`t even really plan on using it on basecoat/clearcoat cars, but rather on soft single stage lacquer. The other thick PC pads I`ve used were so mild I had forgotten all about them until the recent Green Giant marketing jogged my memory.

If *I* were doing a BMW, I`d just use the regular Griot`s, Lake, or Meguiar`s pads, but that`s just me. The flex mounting plate seems like a good idea though.

Accumulator
12-31-2003, 01:12 PM
Update: This morning I put the flex plate on my 7336, using the *6"* counterweight. Worked great, with both 6" Meguiar`s and ~6.5" Griot`s pads. Less vibration than the "regular" 6" velcro plate, especially when using the Meguiar`s MF bonnets over a 6" Meg`s pad. The difference at high speeds was quite noticeable.

BTW, using "slightly too big" pads as I was doing can sometimes work BETTER than using the "right" sized pads. It was easy to deform the extra, overhanging portion of pad to get it into tight spots. You have to be a LITTLE careful NOT to let it fold over, lest the velcro hit the paint, but it`s NOT something that`s really likely to happen.