PDA

View Full Version : Question about Zaino and dashboard

Pages : [1] 2

ahunt01
12-30-2003, 03:10 PM
Hi all, Happy holidays! I`m in the mood to do some interior detailing due to the nice weather today and tomorrow.

I`ve been using some low-gloss armor all dash board cleaner/conditioner and I`m generally pleased. I know the saying "if it ain`t broke then don`t fix it", and the cleaning/conditioning of the armor all I use works great. But... I was in the mood to try some new stuff. I was wonderinf if Zaino Z-16 Perfect Tire Gloss would be ok for the dashboard/plastic parts of the Honda Civic? I know not all dashs are created equal, and I`m not sure if it`s safe to use on the Civic`s dash being that I`m not sure what it`s made of.

On Sal`s website he claims that you can use Z-16 on "all exterior rubber, tires, moldings, plastic trim, weatherstripping, underhood hoses and more." I don`t know if the dashboard of the Civic is ok.

I see that Sal sells Z-10 Leather in a Bottle, which claims it does "a great job on vinyl interiors and dashboards too."

So maybe that`s what I should use out of the Zaino line to detail my dashboard/plastic trim. Or maybe it would be better to use Z-16 on the plastic trim inside the car, and the Z-10 on my dashboard?

:confused:

imported_kgb
12-30-2003, 03:25 PM
My suggestion to you is ditch the Armor All. I hate that stuff. I have found Poorboy`s Natural Look to be the best thing for interiors.

ahunt01
12-30-2003, 03:43 PM
Yeah I`ve heard good things about Poorboy`s product line. Personally I`m a Zaino fan. For me, Sal`s products are the best I`ve tried on my car so I generally have no regrets ordering Zaino stuff that I haven`t tried. I`m just not sure what to get for what I want to do.

BTW, I don`t want to start a Zaino vs. everything else thread. Everyone`s entitled to their opinion, and the look that a certain brand gives is matter of opinion. As far as the Armor All low gloss goes, yeah I know it`s not a very good brand but it leaves a nice natural look in my car, and leaves the dashboard feeling great. I just want to experience some more of the Zaino line.:o Although I do intend to try some Poorboys sometime in the future.

BradE
12-30-2003, 03:49 PM
Do a test. Put Z10 on one area, and Z16 on the other and see which you like best. You can always remove them with a few drops of dawn in some warm water.

If you want to get outside Zaino for a dash product, get 303.

ahunt01
12-30-2003, 03:57 PM
Well I would experiment with it like that, but I`m afraid of staining something.

BradE
12-30-2003, 03:59 PM
I seriously doubt either product would harm your dash, you should be fine trying both.

imported_kgb
12-30-2003, 04:00 PM
Try it under the dash first so if it stains it will not be seen.

ahunt01
12-30-2003, 04:04 PM
Yeah I suppose I`ll probably do that just to make sure it`ll be ok. Has any members here used Zaino on their dashboards, and if so what from the Z line did they use and what were the results?

rstype
12-30-2003, 04:12 PM
Z10 on a Honda Odyssey dashboard - nice satin finish

Z10 on a VW Passat dashboard - residue everywhere

Because it`s almost creamy, Z10 could be a problem with overly textured surfaces. Z16 works well on the Passat, but is way too shiny on the Odyssey.

ahunt01
12-30-2003, 04:33 PM
BW, :bigups

I already have Z16, but I`ll order some Z10 and try it too. It`d be nice to have a leather smell in the car. I have custom vinyl seat covers, so maybe I can pretend the smell is from my seats lol.

LouisanaJeeper
12-30-2003, 04:41 PM
I`ve used Z6 before (diluted to 1/2 strength), worked good.

ahunt01
12-30-2003, 04:45 PM
From Sal in an email, "For interior vinyl(seat,door panels, dash pad, etc) and for all porous

plastic surfaces. I recommend Z-9 Leather Cleaner, and Z-10 "Leather in

a Bottle" Conditioner.

OR:

Z-16 can be used on vinyl interior. . I personally like the natural look

of interior vinyl. Z-16 will give a higher than normal gloss on those

panels. It`s okay to use it on those surfaces. Try a spot and if you

like the

way it looks use it. This is a matter

of personal taste. Z-16 is safe for those parts." So I guess I`ll buy some Z10.

imported_killerjg
12-30-2003, 10:21 PM
I know what you mean about trying more Z, you just can`t get enough. I would think the Z-16 would be too glossy, my taste though. I will often use Z9 for a quick wipe down with minimal residue, very light mist on a MF. Z10 every so often.

ahunt01
12-30-2003, 11:35 PM
Yeah I agree about the Z-16. Thanks for the tip, I`ll order some Z9 along with Z10 this week. I hope the "leather in the bottle" smell is for real, I`ve never once smelled any chemical that smelled like real leather. I love the smell of all the other Zaino stuff so I`m crossing my fingers that the Z10 won`t dissapont lol.

chris0626
12-31-2003, 01:46 AM
I don`t have your car, ahunt01, but I can attest to Z16 on my `93 Benz dash. Don`t apply too much, and don`t buff, and I got a nice low-gloss sheen. BTW, I`m lucky enough to have hooked up with a good, knowledgeable distributor who will tell me more than Sal might; I hope you have a similarly good resource.

About Z10 ... boy-o-boy-o-boy! ... Tell us what you think about the smell and application. I love the smell and love how it works on my Jaguar interior. It`s downright addictive. :D Enjoy!