PDA

View Full Version : Wisdom from other forums

Scott P
12-29-2003, 04:32 PM
I try and help out with knowledge when I can, but sometimes it`s a bit tough.

The question posed was "What towels do you use to dry your car?" My answer was a waffle weave MF towel. This was another response:

For waxing I use old soft t-shirts, towels,and occasionaly I use cheese cloth if I feel like taking the time and spending the extra money for it. For interior detailing I use the same thing old shirts or towels if I use a spray or foam cleaner but most of the time I use meguiars leather cleaner so no rags required

Cheese cloth? I have to remember that not everyone is that interested in doing the job right, just in getting it done.

imported_jgv
12-29-2003, 04:36 PM
Before I start to REALLY take care of my cars, I knew they had to be hand washed, so it didn`t scratch and when I didn`t by myself, the carwash I took them used to dry with old sweaters... Guess they new better ;)

SK2003TypeS
12-29-2003, 04:39 PM
I only use old t-shirts to dry my hands. :)

I run into this on other forums too. I got flamed for a QEW write up and "claiming" Zaino offers protection....sigh.

Kleanride
12-29-2003, 04:51 PM
I remember once I got flamed on a newsgroup or something (many years ago) talking about Klasse and some other high end products. The person who flamed me said I didn`t know anything about good products.....yada yada yada........

SuperBuick
12-29-2003, 04:56 PM
I get the same thing when I mention that there might be some other products that just might maybe be a barely acceptable alternative to the almighty zaino. I`ve been flamed for suggesting that polishing does a better job at removing swirls than Z-5 and that carnauba can make a black finish look deeper and wetter than Zaino.

-Tom

imported_BretFraz
12-29-2003, 05:40 PM
Long before microfiber there was cotton diapers and cheesecloth. I used to buy flannel by the yard for removing waxes and polishes. Old bathroom towels were used to dry cars and wipe down doorjambs, etc. And every time I`d visit a hotel their terrycloth hand towels would somehow end up in my suitcase.

Not everyone is willing to spend $15-20 for a special towel designed only to dry a washed car and requires special care. All you can do is offer your insights and let the readers decide what to buy. Personally I don`t really care what people do to clean their cars as long as they get the job done. A clean car is better than a dirty car, regardless of towel type or product preference.

imported_jgv
12-29-2003, 05:52 PM
I have a friend who wants is car clean so desperately that he used a dish wash sponge (the harsh side) to remove tar and bugs, and when he washes his car by hand he cleans so hard that he makes scratches :nixweiss

I detailed his car twice now, I told him how to clean it by himself, but guess that`s the way he is.

Once he asked me if he could use some of my products and MF cloths to clean/dress the interior of his car, boy, stains of dressing allover the interior (imagine the windows?).

As for everything in life, some have it some don`t, that`s why detailers get payed to detail other peoples cars :) But some detailers don`t have it also :doh

Pats300zx
12-29-2003, 07:01 PM
And every time I`d visit a hotel their terrycloth hand towels would somehow end up in my suitcase.

OMG... you weren`t the only one :D

Jesstzn
12-29-2003, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by SuperBuick

I get the same thing when I mention that there might be some other products that just might maybe be a barely acceptable alternative to the almighty zaino. I`ve been flamed for suggesting that polishing does a better job at removing swirls than Z-5 and that carnauba can make a black finish look deeper and wetter than Zaino.

-Tom

I have Zaino on my B5.5 and what SB is saying I couldn`t argue with. Been there .. Menzerna and #26 or Menzerna and Glanz ... both wet and deep.