PDA

View Full Version : You ever notice what products people detail with in public places?

Pages : [1] 2

imported_NHBFAN
12-29-2003, 10:09 AM
You ever go out to a local lake or park and see someone waxing their vehicle? Do you look to see what products they use?

I`ve yet to see any "enthusiast" products, e.g. P21s/S100, Clearkote`s, Pinnacle, Klasse, Zaino, etc ... I guess the closest I`ve come is seeing Meg`s tan bottles. In my area there are no local distributors for any of these products (except Meg`s).

A few weeks ago I was waxing my truck by the lake and a guy pulls up next to me with a new Maxima and starts washing it out of a bucket. I asked if he had QEW in the bucket. Of course his response was, "what`s that"?

6']['9
12-29-2003, 04:28 PM
usually if i detail out in public i tranfer my products to non labeld bottle, thats just me though

Scott P
12-29-2003, 04:34 PM
If I`m at a show, I`ll walk around and look for people detailing to see what they are using. I`ll check out their supply bags if I can. I haven`t seen any `boutique` products, just the regular over the counter stuff.

imported_jgv
12-29-2003, 04:44 PM
The closest thing we have to detailers is a company that works for dealerships mainly called H2AUTO (good name) and once I visited one of their working teams and asked what they did and used on cars. The guy suspiciously showed me an unbranded bottle with a pink liquid he said worked miracles, I opened and smelled it and immediately said "It`s 1Z Waxpolish Soft". And it was, I have it. Their best, I use it as a one step wax occasionally;)

Raven
12-29-2003, 05:28 PM
I was heading to my car in the company parking lot when I noticed a co-worker QD`ing his car. As I walk over to see what he was using and start a conversation I noticed that he was detailing (the paint) with armor all, original,. I told him that it was for his dash and he said that his car is the best looking in the lot and that he was an expert at detailing cars. Just walked away shaking my head.

Pats300zx
12-29-2003, 05:34 PM
I can remember being at a car show last year. There was a crowd around a guy who professed himself to be a "Master Detailer".

I stood in the back and listened as he told everyone the best way towels to use on a car were cotton diapers.

I walked away and shook my head and wanted to scream out loud.... Micro-Fiber !!!!!!

C-MDX
12-29-2003, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by Pats300zx

I stood in the back and listened as he told everyone the best way towels to use on a car were cotton diapers.

[/SIZE]

What a retard. And a showoff too :D

imported_ajbarnes
12-29-2003, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by raven

I was heading to my car in the company parking lot when I noticed a co-worker QD`ing his car. As I walk over to see what he was using and start a conversation I noticed that he was detailing (the paint) with armor all, original,. I told him that it was for his dash and he said that his car is the best looking in the lot and that he was an expert at detailing cars. Just walked away shaking my head.

:scared

Scottwax
12-29-2003, 11:29 PM
I just kind of shake my head and laugh to myself, not only at their product selection, but how damn long it takes them!

togwt
12-30-2003, 07:52 AM
Quote: You ever notice what products people detail with in public places?

~One man’s opinion~

At concourse events I see a lot of Zymol (Field Glaze) and Griot’s (Best of Show Wax)

Most of it applied with cotton cloth (the few I asked about MF usually say “It’s nylon and it will scratchâ€)

>Hope this helps<

Experience unshared; is knowledge wastedâ€/

justadumbarchitect * so i question everything*

armoredsaint
12-30-2003, 10:38 AM
Why do you detail in public places? Is it for attention?

Scott P
12-30-2003, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by armoredsaintt

Why do you detail in public places? Is it for attention?

Apartment dwellers with no shaded area, so they look for a park?

imported_NHBFAN
12-30-2003, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by Scott P

Apartment dwellers with no shaded area, so they look for a park?

Yep ... that`s my situation.

But even if I had a garage I`m sure I`d still spend some pretty days in the park or at the lake listening to music and waxing my truck.

Getting attenion has nothing to do with it ... I try to find the most secluded area with shade.

togwt
12-30-2003, 12:10 PM
Quote: Why do you detail in public places? Is it for attention?

~One man’s opinion~

No one really enter their car to a Concourse d’Elegance event just for attention, do they? LOL

Experience unshared; is knowledge wastedâ€/

justadumbarchitect * so i question everything*

cerdas
12-30-2003, 12:35 PM
The reason that I chose my current apartment complex is because we have a carwash area. I even made sure to get an apartment overlooking the car wash so that I would always know when it is vacant. Having lived here for over 3 years now I`ve seen what "average" people do to their cars(even really expensive ones).

Products I`ve seen used by "normal" people:

Armor-all car wash - about 70% of the time

Dishwashing liquid- about 20%

No soap, just water- about 5%

misc good stuff ( megs gc, EO, Zymol) - 5%

Once I saw somebody using Z-7, and once I saw somebody using P21s. I have never seen anybody use mf`s, and 9 times out of 10 people use rags or sponges instead of mitts(making sure to throw them on the ground while rinsing panels.)

Seeing this behavior used to horrify me but now I`m used to it.