PDA

View Full Version : Clean windows

Pages : [1] 2

Spook
12-28-2003, 05:31 PM
This is my first post ,What I was wondering waswhat you guys clean your windows with (exterior).

My car "95 BMW 318i se" was cleaned at a local dealer but what ever they used to clean the windows with it has caused them to smear badly in the wet especially at night. I spoke to them and they just said it was a window polish.

I have tried cleaning them with vinegar and some other potions but to no evail, I have also cleaned the blades but it does not make any difference , so how do you get it back to bare glass ?

grt1today
12-28-2003, 05:52 PM
Spook, I don`t have the answers for you, but I wanted to add to your great post a question I also had about windows for the autopians. When you clay your windows guys, what are you using for lube??? Glass cleaner, QD etc...? Spook, on 2nd thought I might be of some help, because they might tell you to clay your windows :nixweiss

tnoy66
12-28-2003, 06:08 PM
:welcome to Autopia :brit

I`ve still to experiment with clay, but when I do it will be on my windows first and I`ll just use regular car wash solution. The best window cleaner I`ve found is the Autoglym Car Glass Polish. Also read this http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=30955 it should be of some help

Also as you`re new here check out this thread too, a basic where to buy guide in UK http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=29410

LouisanaJeeper
12-28-2003, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by grt1today

When you clay your windows guys, what are you using for lube??? Glass cleaner, QD etc...? Spook, on 2nd thought I might be of some help, because they might tell you to clay your windows :nixweiss

I use the same stuff I am using to clay the paint, which is 1:16 Zymol Auto wash:Water .

Usually, I just go over the windows with the wash mit when washing and dry with a MF when drying the car. No glass cleaner necessary.

To answer your question though, to remove the stuff on there now use Rubbing Alcohol or PrepSol.

Pats300zx
12-28-2003, 06:39 PM
Stoners IG and a MF towel would be my suggestion...:nixweiss

Patrick
12-28-2003, 07:44 PM
I ditto Pats theory, you may even just try a MF first......

imported_FordTaurus
12-28-2003, 08:42 PM
Stoner`s IG and the MF as above. My mom`s car had this problem for a while also - I tried cleaing it with a bunch of different things to get rid of the smear whent he window was wet, and finally a combo of the IG and new wiper blades seemed to fix it. You might want to try new wiper blades.

-FordTaurus

Jesstzn
12-28-2003, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by LouisanaJeeper

Usually, I just go over the windows with the wash mit when washing and dry with a MF when drying the car. No glass cleaner necessary.

I do the same.. Initially I used rubbing alchohol just once since then I use a MF towel to dry the windows and occasionally I use a Turtle Wax brand MF dry for the outsides and for the insides its exclusively a) water on a paper towel b) followed by a TW MF towel to dry it ... no cost .. no streaks .. just a clean window. The TW MF towels will work dry on the insides too.. along with glasses/sun glasses and the CD test gave no scratches. And are only $3 Can .... no lint.

Autofiber.com
12-28-2003, 10:13 PM
Don`t use just any microfiber towel though...towels with long fibers are more likely to leave streaks and lint.

Try our new Ultimate Glass Towel - It has no pile so it will not leave streaks or lint, it is heavy (very absorbent), and it is slighly rough for good cleaning ability.

Ultimate Glass Towel (http://www.autofiber.com/ultimateGlassTowels.html)

imported_BretFraz
12-28-2003, 10:18 PM
If you`re looking for a comprehensive test of glass cleaners and detailed info on how to get the best performance possible from them, look no further than Guru Reports Glass Cleaner Test. All you`d ever want to know about cleaning glass for $3.95US. Available only via pdf download (perfect for overseas buyers). http://www.gurureports.org/cgi-bin/store/sp0002.html

00alero
12-29-2003, 12:10 AM
I have waxed my glass and had the same blurr problem.

I once used 409 cleaner to get it off and it worked pretty good.

The blurr only lasts a few days. I have found out that btw the wiping of the wipers and a trip through the carwash with the "swinging carpets" dragged over my car make that blurr disappear. I know a trip to the carwash is a "sin" in the autopian world, but it is better than letting salt sit on it and under it.

"Oh forgive me Almighty Autopian God" lol :)

armoredsaint
12-29-2003, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by Autofiber.com

Don`t use just any microfiber towel though...towels with long fibers are more likely to leave streaks and lint.

Try our new Ultimate Glass Towel - It has no pile so it will not leave streaks or lint, it is heavy (very absorbent), and it is slighly rough for good cleaning ability. [/URL]

I hope it`s not the same is microfibertech.com glass MF towel even through your websites look identical and from SD, CA, because it leaves plenty of lint that reflects off from the sun and it`s annoying as hell. It has no real nap/pile either and it`s been washed three times too. I actually find that a regular MF with Stoners IG is awesome.

Autofiber.com
12-29-2003, 12:32 AM
Actually it is a different towel than the one on Microfiber Tech, it has less of a pile and a different weave.

AndyC
12-29-2003, 04:15 AM
I did a proper clean on GF`s car this weekend although cut short when it snowed but glass was covered in a film of road grime and god knows what else.

I washed entire car with dish washing liquid, then clayed including glass using Megs GC shampoo as lube. I didn`t have time to use any polish or clean the glass inside due to snow but all the grime outside has gone.

I`d always recommend clay for glass as it really does make a big difference. The best polish I`ve found is AG glass polish as it leaves a super slick surface.

Spook
12-29-2003, 05:46 AM
Thanks for all your replys, I think I will hunt for some Clay and give that a try.

AndyC can you get AG glass polish at your local Halfords or do you have to send for it ?