PDA

View Full Version : Help! Ruined Rims 4 months old

Wicked50
12-27-2003, 07:44 PM
Ok guys time to ask the pros. I bought back in Aug 4 new Centerline Billut Alum Wheels. I sold the car the same month. I recently bought the car back and the front rims are horrible! The car has no brakes and the prev. owner drove metal to metal when stopping causing what seems to be RUST on the rims. Im afraid to use anything first, i cleaned them hard with no results, and ideas? any help would be greatly appreciated i dont feel like buyin new rims again!! :angry

imported_ajbarnes
12-27-2003, 07:55 PM
First off....:welcome

To better help in a situation like this, I would recommend that you post some up close pictures of the wheels so that I and others` can get an idea of what you`ll need.

But, without knowing the exact condition of your wheels for myself, I would suggest eagle one orange clean wheel and tire cleaner....works like a charm for me!:up

imported_Tony
12-27-2003, 07:55 PM
Are they clear coated?

Assuming they are not: Suggestions A2Z to clean. Mothers mag & Aluminum polish to restore.

You may consider using Ceramic brake pads in the future. I have switch to ceramic for my PT Cruiser and they have help to avoid brake dust.

good luck

Wicked50
12-27-2003, 07:59 PM
thanks guys for the invite and welcomes.

ill have to take some pics, kinda dark out right now.

and rightlane they arent clearcoated. ive used the mothers to restore, no good. as for brake pads, thats what im goin to go with next. ceramic! also that A2Z can i pick that up at my local dept store? i see most of the items you talk about arent on store shelves.

imported_edschwab1
12-27-2003, 08:10 PM
A2Z wheel and tire cleaner is available at Wal Mart, Kmart or Autozone.

What products have you tried? What products do you have?

Knowing what you have tried and what you have try, will help with recommendations.

With that be said, I would try the following:

Clean with A2Z, using a wash mitt, towels, brush or the like to cause mechanical agitation.

Then use a clay bar to help remove imbedded contaminants.

Then use a rubbing compound, may skip depending on how rim looks

Then a metal polish

Followed by a polymer or wax

Eric

andriver
12-27-2003, 08:12 PM
You can get A2Z at Walmart, Autozone, etc. Works really well.

Wicked50
12-27-2003, 08:16 PM
ok guys im gonna head to walmart tomorrow and get the A2Z take some pics and i guess we will go from there. thanks again!

shaf
12-28-2003, 02:07 AM
Hi and :welcome Keith.

These wheels aren`t chrome plated and are just polished aluminum right? Do a search for Mothers Billet Polish. Those who have used it regard it more highly than their regular mag/alum. polish.

I don`t know much about this department, but I think if the wheels are just bare aluminum that may work to your advantage because you can just keep polishing away until you fix them. Good luck.

imported_edschwab1
12-28-2003, 02:12 AM
I have seen Mother`s Billet polish at Autozone and Pep Boys, but their inventory may be different in your area.

Eric

forrest@mothers
12-28-2003, 10:44 AM
If it`s truly rust on the aluminum rim, you`ll need to wet-sand it off (2000 or so) and then use the aluminum or billet metal polish.

The polish by itself won`t be aggressive enough to remove rust.

Wicked50
12-28-2003, 03:12 PM
yea first i used the A2Z with no much help, then i went and tried Royal Jelly. not much done there either. so then i went and tried steel wool, very fine 000 steel wool. that did the trick, after cleaning it good i hit it with some Mothers, and now all is fine, for now.

imported_edschwab1
12-28-2003, 06:34 PM
Glad to hear you fixed the rims.

Eric

DetailQueen
12-30-2003, 10:31 AM
After much research I went and got these... http://www.autogeek.net/kleenwheeldu.html Have not used elbow grease on my rims since.