PDA

View Full Version : 99-02 GM clearcoat

imported_SouthernZ71
12-27-2003, 05:55 PM
I think I might be having a problem with my clearcoat. I generally do a quick wash/dry each week (when time permits) and do a quaility wash/dry/coat of #26 once a month (use other products as needed). While washing/drying today I noticed these "marks" on both bedrails .

So are there any known GM clearcoat problems with the above years?

here are the pics? BTW how do I post multiple pics?

imported_SouthernZ71
12-27-2003, 05:57 PM

imported_SouthernZ71
12-27-2003, 06:00 PM
#3 overall where the close-ups were taken

boywonder
12-27-2003, 06:10 PM
Those look like something etched into your clearcoat. Do you live in an area with acid rain or heavy industrial fallout?

But it could easily be construed as clearcoat failure.

imported_SouthernZ71
12-27-2003, 06:32 PM
Hmmm, I live in New Orleans, so no industrial fallout. Not sure about the acid rain. The problem wasn`t there less than 2 months ago when I PCed with #82, #9 and #26. I don`t even think it was there last month when I did the #26. Does clearcoat failure come on this fast?

Is there anything I can do to confirm it is clearcoat failure?

Thanks

imported_edschwab1
12-27-2003, 07:31 PM
I agree with PrinzII on the water etching, probably caused by acid rain or hard water. Try using clay or vinager on a spot, and see if this works. If these do not work try #82 with various pads. If #82 does not work then move to#83 with various pads. You could also PM Intel486 or SonnyDaze, both are professionals in the Big Easy.

Eric

imported_Aurora40
12-27-2003, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by SouthernZ71

Hmmm, I live in New Orleans, so no industrial fallout. Not sure about the acid rain. The problem wasn`t there less than 2 months ago when I PCed with #82, #9 and #26. I don`t even think it was there last month when I did the #26. Does clearcoat failure come on this fast?

Is there anything I can do to confirm it is clearcoat failure?

Thanks

The fact that all of it appeared in a short time would make me think it was something on the paint that did it as opposed to defective paint. The picts do look more like etching, which hopefully means you can get it fixed without adding paint. Edschwab has a good suggestion as both are great guys and great detailers right in your neck of the woods. :)

CRXSi90
12-28-2003, 12:52 AM
That looks a lot like when I had metal dust on my car that rusted. I`d try claying and the polishing after.

If you have polish, or even cleaner wax, try using it on a spot and seeing if some of it goes away.

most helpful might be telling how the paint feels, are there bonded contaminance? Take a plastic bag and put it over the paint to "feel" through it. The bag should exaggerate the bumps so you can feel them.

imported_SouthernZ71
12-28-2003, 05:28 AM
Thanks for the help everyone. I used my fingers when I first saw the problem and didn`t "feel" anything "grabbing," like wise with the plastic bag. Tomorrow, I`m going to clay and dacp and see where I end up.

BTW I guess since nobody mentioned a known problem with GM paint in these years, it might not exsist?

Thanks again

GoodnClean
12-28-2003, 10:11 PM
For the most part paint seems to be one of the things GM does the best, nice finishes, low on orange peel etc. Looks to me like bad etching as everyone else has said. Could have been caused by any number of things, parking in a leaky garage where water gets nasty as it drips through the building, parking near a construction site etc. I agree, try clay then try maybe something thats not abrasive like AIO. Looks like you have some pretty heavy swirling there anyway, so maybe time to get a PC and go to town? ;)

Good luck!

Lemonxxs
12-30-2003, 12:24 PM
New Orleans water has tons of crap in it so if left on paint it will leave spots that will etch......PS the refineries spew out all sorts of chemicals.....which when fall down on paint may do harm...

Chalmette, Belle chase, etc etc have these refineries.....

imported_SouthernZ71
01-16-2004, 06:17 PM
Finally got out today and ran some #9 over the spots above.......everything is back to normal! Not sure what it was, but I used the PC and the surface looks like glass.....

Thanks for the help