PDA

View Full Version : Another dumb ? This time about Micro-Fiber

oh-dawg
12-24-2003, 07:05 AM
Hi guys,

I have done some research on the site concerning drying a car. i just wanted to make sure everyone or majority of you believe micro-fiber to be the best material to use. i use to use a chamois and well my buddy said i was "stupid" and was pushing the dust around rather than absorbing it. is this true? and also is micro-fiber the same as micro-fabric (i know i must sound like a retard but just making sure).

thanks a million.

jimmybuffit
12-24-2003, 07:47 AM
For me, the most efficient method is a Cal Water Blade to remove 95% of the water, then a MF towel to wipe the rest. I also use the air compressor for crevices...

I do not have a chamois in the shop.

Jim

Mr Monk
12-24-2003, 08:22 AM
oh-dawg...I too was a chamois man till I tried MF towels. They`ve made life a lot easier when it`s time to dry the car.

I use the "take the nozle off the hose" method for the last rinse and let most of the water simply "sheet" off the car. ....... THEN, I use a large MF towel to remove what`s left. If I don`t feel like getting my shoes soaked, which comes with this method, then I use the CWB (California Water Blade) and finish with MF towel.

Some guys don`t like the water blade because there is the potential for scratching the paint. True. However, if you keep the blade clean you shouldn`t leave any scratches. Make sure you store it away properly in between car washes. You should be fine.

Either way I think you`ll be happier leaving behaind your old chamois.

Pats300zx
12-24-2003, 10:14 AM
Here is a great thread for drying your car..

Perfect Drying Technique (http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5120)

I am hooked on the Pakshak Waffle Weave for drying. Its so much better and you only need one. I can dry my entire F150 with it.

armoredsaint
12-24-2003, 10:24 AM
I agree 100% with Pats300zx on Pakshak Waffle Weave for drying, it is awesome, so soft! I`m lazy and don`t rung out the water so I use 2 for my little Audi TT!

madazskunk
12-24-2003, 03:45 PM
Threw out my chamois when I found Autopia and got some Waffle Weave. Won`t use anything else. Well until the next greatest thing comes out.:D

medic159
12-24-2003, 04:51 PM
I`m a big fan of using a leaf blower to get the car as dry as possible then I use a towel to get the last bit of water off.

Douxebris
12-24-2003, 06:14 PM
One of my favorite time-savers, after using my Big Blue waffleweave to dry the car, is to use the damp waffleweave to wipe down the door jams, and inside the hood and trunk trim areas. After treating the tires with Megs #40, I then wipe dry the wheels with the same towel.

Jeff Laughhunn

stevet
12-24-2003, 07:35 PM
Jeff Laughhunn,

If I read your post correctly you are using the same WW towel to dry your car, engine area, door jams, and wheels. I would never let my good WW towel touch door jams , wheels or any other area other than my paint. I use older MF towels for those areas and they only get used for those areas. They also get washed seperate from my good towels.

Douxebris
12-24-2003, 08:50 PM
Stevet,

I _do_ understand your point of caution, and it is duly noted.

I guess I trust my washing machine to clean the Big Blue when I`m done. If it helps my case any, I`m not using my WW on something filthy, which hasn`t been touched in months. All the areas I mentioned cleaning after the outside of the car, have been AIO`d and Klasse`d previously; all I`m doing is keeping them sparkling. And this wash/dry routine is performed weekly.

Jeff Laughhunn