PDA

View Full Version : Windshield wiper action not smooth

91boz
12-22-2003, 11:57 PM
Ever since the car has been back from the body shop the wipers intermittently squeals when they are on. I`ve replaced them several times but the wiping action is not smooth. They seem to grab the glass and I beleive that there is some sort of chemical or overspray that is etched in the glass. Is there a cleaner that anyone can recomend? Can you use a claybar for the windows?

andrew.
12-23-2003, 05:50 AM
Yes you can use a claybar on class.

If that has no effect give AutoGlym Glass Polish a try. I find it to be an exellect glass cleaner.

imported_Totoland Mach
12-23-2003, 06:01 AM
You might give the windshield a coat of Rain-X. If that doesn`t improve the wiper action, the glass has been severely etched.

jimtriz
12-23-2003, 07:17 AM
I agree with Totoland. The rain-x will leave a very slick and smooth finish behind that should cut down on the noise. You could preface the rain-x with a wipe down with a clay bar also. Good luck! Jim.

thinksnow
12-23-2003, 08:25 AM
Not a flame of Rain-X, because I use it on one of my vehicles.

Think about Aquapel instead if you are already having wiper issues. Some people have complained about chatter after the Rain-X. Easiest way to get the Aquapel treatment is stopping by your local Gypsy Lube and BUYING the treatment (don`t get them to apply it).

togwt
12-23-2003, 09:17 AM
Quote: Windshield wiper action not smooth

~One man’s opinion~

Put your hand in a plastic sandwich bag and lightly run your fingertips over the windshield`s surface. Chances are, it will have a rough, gritty feel. Glass cleaners will not remove this grit, the method I use:

Outside glass –

1.Apply clay (Magic Clay) and lubricant solution (Woolite / Water 1:5) onto the glass surface (Do not apply to plastic as dulling may occur.)

2.Wash off any residue from glass and dry with a damp waffle weave towel

3.For ‘water spots’ use a water/distilled white vinegar solution, 1:5 (adjust ratio as required)

4.Apply a quarter size amount of Autoglym Car Glass Polish to a dry 100% cotton or Microfiber cloth

5.Apply to 1/2 of the windshield, polishing first in an up and down motion then in a left-to-right motion

6.Go over the glass several times in each direction. (Glass will polish virtually residue free.)

7.Wipe off any residue, and polish with a clean dry 100% cotton Microfiber cloth.

8.If any ‘water spots’ remain apply Distilled White Vinegar to a 100% cotton micro fibre towel, using a medium pressure rub glass until they are removed.

9.Inspect glass for clarity and smoothness. Repeat if necessary.

10.Apply 303 Wiper Treatment to the wiper blades to clean, restore suppleness, eliminate wiper noise or ‘skipping’ and to avoid glass smearing.

I`m not a fan of Rain-X, I`ve had bad experience with it, using the above method I have no problems with my glass surfaces so for me it`s a non-issue

~Hope this helps~

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/

~ justadumbarchitect * so i question everything *

TINTORO
12-23-2003, 11:07 AM
Diamondite Glass kit and 303 Wiper treatment wipes. The glass kit cleans and polishes the glass and the 303 wiper treatment helps to keep the wipers from chattering. Check with CMA on those products uses.

91boz
12-24-2003, 12:05 AM
I used the claybar on the windshield and replaced the wiper blades today. What a difference before and after. The blades move across the glass so smooth without any resistance and chatter. Thanks guys!

imported_CBX Carl
12-24-2003, 08:44 AM
I did encounter "Chatter" as the result IMO of the Rain X application wearing off the windshield. I cleaned it with Alcohol, replaced the blades with Bosch and the problem was eliminated. I love what Rain-X does for the other windows and mirrors on my Truck but never on my windshield again.