PDA

View Full Version : Never used orbital polisher - quick questions

VegasShawn
12-22-2003, 05:24 PM
I am going to pick up that PC 7424 polisher but have never used one of these things before.

I understand the polish, seal, wax steps that I am going to use but have a question about the removal of the products.

After polishing, will there be a residue on the paint? If so, what should be used to remove it?

Is removal something that should be done with the machine as well as applying the product, or should I just use a microfiber towel or something like that?

I guess my question would be the same for what to do after every step. What do you used to remove polish/wax/whatever after it is applied?

Patrick
12-22-2003, 06:29 PM
After polishing, will there be a residue on the paint? If so, what should be used to remove it? Again, I prefer removal by hand. You wont have a problem with most products, but should you at some point, try lightly misting your MF with water or QD.....(Im against using QD prior to sealants or wax, but they say its ok)

Is removal something that should be done with the machine as well as applying the product, or should I just use a microfiber towel or something like that? See above....
I guess my question would be the same for what to do after every step. What do you used to remove polish/wax/whatever after it is applied?

Microfibers !!!!!!!!!!

Accumulator
12-22-2003, 06:34 PM
VegasShawn- Although some of us have used MF bonnets on the random orbital to remove products, MOST Autopians will do the removal by hand. Some prefer 100% cotton towels, but the majority will probably say to go with MFs.

Polishes, waxes, sealants, you name it, it`s gonna leave a residue. Even products like DACP that are "worked until they turn to dust and disappear" will need wiped off. After you work it sufficiently with the PC, wipe the residue off with a MF, being careful not to mar the finish. Some products are allowed to dry or cure, others are wiped off while still "wet", but they all need wiped off at some point. I dunno if there`s any real difference in how you remove most products (some glazes like Meg`s #7 ARE handled a little differently), just wipe them off gently.

VegasShawn
12-22-2003, 11:46 PM
Cool. Thanks for the tips. One last question: How about when removing the "final" layer like a carnuba wax? Would you use the PC to apply it and then just use a microfiber towel to get it off, OR use the PC with a different kind of pad to get it off?

Patrick
12-23-2003, 12:03 AM
Vegas, true Carnaubas, IMO that are of any value, are in a paste forum. Your pretty much limited to its application process, I would recommend on with a foam pad or MF sponge applicator, and off with MF.....If you care to, you could do a final with a MF or Terry bonnet.....

Again, IMO, you still need to go over the car with a clean MF to inspect......

madazskunk
12-23-2003, 04:05 AM
Originally posted by VegasShawn

Cool. Thanks for the tips. One last question: How about when removing the "final" layer like a carnuba wax? Would you use the PC to apply it and then just use a microfiber towel to get it off, OR use the PC with a different kind of pad to get it off?

I don`t use the PC to apply or remove any type of wax/sealant/topper. I think it is much easier to do this by hand.JMO.

Accumulator
12-23-2003, 11:35 AM
VegasShawn- I do a LOT of paste-wax-by-machine. If you want to remove it with the PC, you`ll need some MF bonnets, most of which fit over foam or wool pads. If using foam, use cutting pads, they hold the bonnets best. If using wool, don`t turn the pads inside out to get extra use out of them, the inside will have wool stuck to it (which could mar your paint). The wool pads tend to "compact" (get flat, lose cushioning ability) in this application, so I`d get more than one set.

The MF bonnets from Griot`s did NOT work for *ME*, I would try ones from TOL or Meguiar`s. The Viper MF bonnets are soft enough for SOME paints, but not all. The "MAX" bonnets from CMA are primarily for removing sealants (I like them for SG and P UPP). I would NOT use "terry" bonnets, I`d worry about marring.

No matter what you use, as Patrick said, you`re gonna have to go over the vehicle BY HAND with a MF for the final pass.

Some people have had good results by putting a cutting pad on the PC, laying a MF on the vehicle, and using the PC to "spin" the MF. If you try this, be careful you don`t launch the MF and hit the paint with the pad!

Patrick
12-23-2003, 01:51 PM
Good job, god speed Accum.....!