PDA

View Full Version : PC Speeds

jab
12-22-2003, 04:34 PM
What are the best speed setting to use with the PC for applying POLISHING, KLASSE & WAX?

Patrick
12-22-2003, 06:19 PM
I prefer to start at about 4, let the product disperse itself evenly, then crank her up to 6......As for SG and other sealants, i usually do by hand....

Accumulator
12-22-2003, 06:44 PM
I use polishes the same way Patrick does. With ALL products, I like to do the "start slow and speed up". When I apply "cleaning" products like VM and AIO by PC, I don`t speed it up as much, but rather keep it down to 4.5-5.5. For applying sealants, I`ll sometimes go as high as 5, but not faster. When applying wax, I usually don`t go over 4-4.5. Not like I`ll NEVER crank it up, but those are about what I usually use.

Generally, if you use too fast a speed it can dry out your product too fast and make it hard to remove. Other than that, IMO, you don`t need to worry TOO much about going too fast with the PC.

imported_FordTaurus
12-22-2003, 07:31 PM
Around 3-3.5 for waxes max, 4.5 for most polishes that don`t need the extra speed/heat. I don`t like to crank it all the way to 6 - I just don`t feel like I have as good control over it.

-FordTaurus

endus
12-23-2003, 08:52 AM
6 for polishes, like 4 or 3 for AIO, and 1-3 for waxes...so far I`m applying SG by hand.

BlueRanger
12-23-2003, 06:29 PM
Interesting, i find that i cant get the aio to diserse evenly unless i am on 5 or 6, whens its on 6, it lays down a nice, thin, even layer....ideas?

endus
12-24-2003, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by BlueRanger

Interesting, i find that i cant get the aio to diserse evenly unless i am on 5 or 6, whens its on 6, it lays down a nice, thin, even layer....ideas?

That`s a good thought...I might try to speed it up a little because I think my AIO could spread better.

togwt
12-24-2003, 09:09 AM
Quote: PC Speeds

~One man’s opinion~

3.5 - 4.5 Polishing, SMR, Resin Polish, Paintwork Cleaner, Wax application

4.0 - 5.5 Machine Polish, Compound, SMR

4.0 - 5.5 Machine Polish, Compound, SMR

3.5 - 4.0< Finishing, Final Buffing,

I prefer to let the product do it work over time as opposed to using a faster speed

>Hope this helps<

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/

justadumbarchitect * so i question everything*

imported_NHBFAN
12-24-2003, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by Accumulator

Generally, if you use too fast a speed it can dry out your product too fast and make it hard to remove.

I`ve never used a PC so forgive these simple questions.

After applying most products with a PC is there much product left to remove? I was of the opinion that there wasn`t.

Would you use different speeds to apply IP vs FP?

spetulla
12-25-2003, 01:31 AM
i like about 4-5 for say a dacp like product

i like 6 for heavy cut / fine cut if im removing sanding marks

i like 3 or 4 for final polishing with a polishing pad. you have to just use a speed that will make the product disappear after 4 passes over it (up/down, sideways, and at diagnols)

imported_rusty bumper
12-25-2003, 01:42 AM
Originally posted by NHBFAN

[B]After applying most products with a PC is there much product left to remove? I was of the opinion that there wasn`t.[B]

A PC will give you a nice, uniform, thin layer of product if done right...I don`t have much trouble removing the residue.

I like to use my PC between 4.0 to 5.5 speed...Use the low speed for waxes.

Accumulator
12-25-2003, 10:29 AM
NHBFAN- Can`t help you with the Menzerna, havent` tried it.

As far as the residue after polishing, it seems to depend on

A) the type of product- some are worked until almost gone (little residue) while others are removed while still wet (more residue).

B) how much you use. Generally, if there`s a LOT of residue/remaining product to remove, it`s probably a sign that you`re using too much.

Magellan498
12-25-2003, 12:12 PM
I`m like Patrick, I start out at 3 to work polish around then go progressively up to speed 6. I let the product and the speed of the pad do the work, and use just the weight of the PC as pressure. Glazes I apply at about 4-5 and sealants and waxes I apply by hand.