PDA

View Full Version : Using Quick Detailers in the cold?

jw
12-20-2003, 08:12 PM
I`ve noticed that since the weather has got cold here whenever i us one grand show off, it seems to haze and becomes quite difficult to get rid of. Is this something all QD`s do, or is it something that just show off does. Would switching to the EF QD help?

imported_BretFraz
12-21-2003, 08:48 AM
You are going to have this problem with all sorts of products, not just QD. Most QD`s contain silicone which will smear and streak when used on a cold surface. If you can get the car into a warm garage and raise the surface temp, the QD should work fine as long as its not ice cold either.

Dave N
12-21-2003, 09:54 AM
Even silicone-free QDs such as Meguiar`s Final Inspection will streak in the cold. I`ve basically given up QDing when it`s cold out, except to remove bird bombs. And even then I just remove the bomb and leave the residual QD.

Jesstzn
12-21-2003, 11:29 AM
FD is horrid under 40 F .. so I found out when I had to take 1/2 hout to rub off my hood

Patrick
12-21-2003, 06:36 PM
Ever think of making a cold temp solution ? Try this, take whatever QD your currently using, and cut it 3:1 (3 QD:1 water). If you still get smearing cut it to 2.5:1......

Scottwax
12-21-2003, 10:50 PM
A lot of the problem seems to be when the humidity is high, especially on the roof, hood and trunk lid. Doesn`t matter which QD either. I just try to either use QD during mid day when the dew points tend to be lower or wait until it is at least 45-50 degrees.

jkochis
12-22-2003, 05:05 PM
I`ve never had that problem with Show Off in the cold, only on very humid days. Using a very dry Charisma towel seems to work best for me too with Show Off.

s2skimon
12-24-2003, 04:16 PM
I`ve noticed that as well with Zaino`s z6. To removed the haze or smears, I simply have another MF towel that is completely dry and go over it and that seems to do the trick for me