PDA

View Full Version : Griot`s Best of Show

Pages : [1] 2

SuperBuick
12-19-2003, 11:24 AM
I did a search on this and can`t seem to find the info I`m interested in.

What are your thoughs on Griots Best of Show wax. I`ve read about it but never heard any testimonials from users, at least not on this site. Opinions? Is it a product worth having in my arsenal?

In addition, what about Griot`s Carnauba paste wax?

I realize many feel that Griots products are over priced - I`m interested more in the products` performance than its price at this stage. How does it work, what kind of finishing effect does it provide?

Thanks all!

-Tom

imported_KevinA
12-19-2003, 12:21 PM
I`ve used Griot`s Best of Show for a couple years now and am very satisfied with it`s performance and gloss. Of course, I`m not nearly as.... uh... anal... as most of the folks on this board about gloss, wetness, etc. It`s very easy to apply and remove and the protection lasts 4-6 months.

One of the main reasons I gave it a try was due to the "testimonials" ;) in the catalog.

I`m thinking of getting some Pinnacle liquid Souveran wax since I`m almost out of the Griot`s stuff.

Griot`s gets a beating on this board because he`s a bit over-priced on some things and the shipping is up there too. The only thing I wasn`t impressed with was their wheel cleaner.

tom p.
12-19-2003, 12:32 PM
Tom, I`d say save your $$. I used it a while ago and don`t know if I got a bad bottle but had a terrible time with it. Prolly should have sent the stuff back for a refund. :(

Tom

imported_kgb
12-19-2003, 12:55 PM
I use to use it all the time but switched over to Poorboy`s instead.

Griot`s Best of Show is good but not user friendly. It took me a Hell of a time to get off. Was not worth it to me to spend so long trying to get the product off.

dmatre
12-19-2003, 01:13 PM
I`ve used the Best of Show for about 8 years now.

For me, it looked very good on some cars (wife`s old car - dark blue metallic Maxima), but not on others (my black C230 Benz).

For me, on the black Benz it looked very deep, very clean, very clear, but it had a minimal shine. If you looked at the car from a distance, it looked good, but it didn`t sparkle or dazzle. (whereas on the Maxima - it did).

It also looked great on my old Benz (brown metallic).

It seemed to last quite a while for a true wax, and it was pretty easy to apply/remove (using a PC orbital). All in all, I was satisfied enough to stick with it up until I got the black Benz.

I have since tried Klasse, and I like the shine and sparkle (reflectance, I guess) of the Klasse over the depth of the Griot`s. It`s a completely different appearance, but for me, I prefer the sparkle on the black car.

As many other people have said on this forum, ask 3 people for their opinion, and you`re likely to get 4 different answers.

Go with what you like, you`re the one who gets to enjoy it at the end of the day!

togwt
12-19-2003, 01:48 PM
Quote: Griot`s gets a beating on this board because he`s a bit over-priced on some things and the shipping is up there too. The only thing I wasn`t impressed with was their wheel cleaner.

~One man’s opinion~

I’ve used Groit’s Best of Show Wax and have found it very ‘clear’ for a Carnauba wax; I’ve talked to other show car entrants who like it’s easy application (paste wax) and the fact that it can be ‘layered’ without losing clarity and that’s what judges look for.

I do agree that on some things Groit’s do charge a higher price than others, but I think the ‘bashing’ also became de rigueur because he charged $199 for a Porter Cable and ‘hyped’ (or is that another name for marketing strategy) his `special` backing plate?

I’ve never tried their wheel cleaner, but IMO it seems to me that P21S does so well why change.

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/

~ justadumbarchitect * so i question everything *

MBZ 500E
12-19-2003, 02:05 PM
I`m a big Griots fan mainly because 98% of their products are top notch and you typically won`t be dissapointed with your purchase. Occassionally you`ll find better products available (car care products) which do a better job or offer some enhancements. I think the biggest downside to Griots car care products is they`re not updated as new technology becomes available so what was once top notch is now a step below the latest competition.

I`ve tried the Best Of Show (borrowed from a friend) and side by side against S100 on my Black Pearl MB. I would rate it close to S100 and #26 for appearance although not as glossy, slightly less depth and definitely not as easy to use.

OT: If you looking for the ultimate look give either Souveran a try or Nxt when it`s available. I can`t comment on Souveran`s appearance other than many believe it to be the best wax for appearance on darker cars, Nxt I know looks really good and is a joy to use.

imported_kgb
12-19-2003, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by MBZ 500E

I`m a big Griots fan mainly because 98% of their products are top notch and you typically won`t be dissapointed with your purchase. Occassionally you`ll find better products available (car care products) which do a better job or offer some enhancements.

Just so you know, most of Griot`s products are just other products rebadged to say Griot`s on them. Then they charge an arm and a leg for the product and the other arm and leg for shipping. I am not bashing them cause I use to use them all the time but I have found that their products are nothing special and can be bought for a lot less money minus the Griot decals.

togwt
12-19-2003, 02:22 PM
Quote: Just so you know, most of Griot`s products are just other products rebadged to say Griot`s on them.

~One man’s opinion~

I’m not in a position to agree/deny ‘other product’ are someone else’s with a Groit’s label attached, but I do know that his car care products (waxes etc) are made/mixed by his company.

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/

~ justadumbarchitect * so i question everything *

MBZ 500E
12-19-2003, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by 2001civicex

Just so you know, most of Griot`s products are just other products rebadged to say Griot`s on them. Then they charge an arm and a leg for the product and the other arm and leg for shipping. I am not bashing them cause I use to use them all the time but I have found that their products are nothing special and can be bought for a lot less money minus the Griot decals.

This is pretty obvious for 98% of the tools and equipment although I will argue that their products are top notch and you`d be hard pressed to find better. As TOGWT stated the car care products are theirs.

The pricing is a bit high but there is an advantage to buying through Griots, if for some reason the product you purchase fails you can return it for repair or replacment, even after 10 years. Anyone else offer that? And yes I`ve heard that they will replace whatever item and then cancel your account, but I seriously doubt they would do that to a regular customer that isn`t returning items on a regular basis.

The other advantage.......it`s very easy for my wife to pick up the Griots catalog and find the items I just happened to circle, great way to get what you want for Christmas!:D :cool:

SuperBuick
12-19-2003, 05:21 PM
So far I`ve had good luck with Griots. I have their rolling wash bucket, their mitts, their wheel/engine/tire cleaners, and a really nice rolling stool from them. Interestingly enough, I was pleased with their wheels cleaner - it is nice and mild and I wasn`t scared to use it on a perfect set of chrome rims.

In terms of the wax, that`s the only stuff that I`m wondering about. I enjoy waxing and experimenting with different waxes. I realize its not the most monetarily sound hobby, but I enjoy trying them and if I don`t like them, I always use them for other things or give them to a friend and seem like a nice guy (hehe).

For instance zymol - based on some of the reviews here I would be reluctant to try zymol stuff - but I had already recieved the full zymol kit prior to becoming an autopian and I am really happy with it. I love their waxes, and their wheel cleaner is the best wheel cleaner I have ever used (better than p21s). I also particularly like their leather cleaner and vinyl treatment.

Thanks alot for all the honest advice and suggestions given to me in this thread - its yet another reason why jumping on the computer and browsing autopia is one of the most pleasurable times of my day :)

-Tom

bunker
12-19-2003, 05:53 PM
I have used both waxes and found both to be lacking in durability. The Best of Show hazed a bit after removal which I corrected with a spritz of water and a MF. Not the easiest to remove.

F1Crazy
12-20-2003, 12:59 AM
I agree that some of their tools are overpriced but their car care products are priced just like any other premium brand.

Griot claims that he makes all car care products in house but I`m really curious about their polishes, I`m sure he buys the abrasives from somebody else. I also doubt that he makes his own clay.

As far as performance of their products there are quite a few that are very good like their interior cleaner or Speed Shine, their polishes are also on par with 3M or Meguiar`s.

For some reason Best of Show wax gives the best results when applied with a PC. It needs to be applied very thin to avoid problems with removal and I guess PC may help here. You have to let it haze before removal but don`t let it sit too long, it will be a nightmare to remove.

Here are some pics of BOS carnauba on Orient Blue:

http://staff.pop3now.com/alee/bmw/pc/pc1.jpg

http://staff.pop3now.com/alee/bmw/pc/pc2.jpg

http://staff.pop3now.com/alee/bmw/pc/pc3.jpg

tom p.
12-20-2003, 06:56 AM
Griot`s generally offers excellent products (that carry a premium price). The Best of Show Wax just isn`t one of them.:nixweiss No need to fret...there are plenty of fine alternatives.

Accumulator
12-20-2003, 12:36 PM
I`m a big fan/customer of Griot`s, but I do NOT like the BOS wax. Hard to use/remove, so-so look, poor durability. I gave mine away to a young relative. IMO, whether you like paste or liquid, there are just so many better choices out there!