PDA

View Full Version : Leaky sunroof, cloudy & swirled paint

Pages : [1] 2

ahunt01
12-17-2003, 06:51 PM
Well i finally got around to washing my car that had a complete re-paint, and repairs from the tree falling on it. I never noticed any leakage from the sunroof from driving in rain, but when I washed it... I notice that there is water around the inner track and the water will probably soon start leaking inside the roof. I also notice that the paint is cloudy, and that they buffed my paint and swirled it completely before clear coating it. Needless to say I`m rather pissed.

Anyways, I was thinking of taking the car to my insurance company, since they paid for the work, and explain how shoddy the work is, and that I want it corrected, by another place of my choosing. BTW the shop that "fixed it" was one of their preferred shops, although everyone in my area raves over it. I want to take the car to a shop out of state about an hour and a half away, but I dunno if my insurance will pay. They`re gonna have to somehow fix the leak, and strip the paint off and redo it, since I don`t want another layer of paint applied over top of this which is applied overtop of my factory paint.

Any suggestions?:confused:

Jesstzn
12-17-2003, 09:53 PM
You sure they buffed before the clear .. Sometimes with clear if it is washed before it finishes curing , eg in the first 24 hours it can cause the clear to cloud down the road.

ahunt01
12-17-2003, 09:59 PM
I dunno if it was a car wash that made it cloudy or what. I just washed the first time since I`ve had it for about two weeks, so if it got washed it was by them. I think they waxed it, because I saw white residue that looks like wax in the jams.

I`m pretty sure they buffed it before the clear, they told me they buffed out orange peel, which is b.s. because there is orange peel, and a whole lot of swirls everywhere. To me, they look like they`re under the clearcoat. Although it`d be nice if it`s in the clearcoat and not the color paint, because I can fix that.

imported_mirrorfinishman
12-20-2003, 02:28 PM
If you are still unsatisfied. Maybe you should call your insurance company. Let them take a look at the car and evalate what should be done to correct the problem. Just a thought...

ahunt01
12-20-2003, 02:49 PM
Yeah I aim to do that. I`m just so frustrated...

medic159
12-20-2003, 03:44 PM
I believe all sunroofs have drainage tubes, at least mine does. It seems every spring I need to flush them out. Your`s may be clogged and it should be a simple job to locate and clear them out.

ahunt01
12-20-2003, 03:50 PM
Hmm, I`ve never heard of a drainage tube before.

medic159
12-20-2003, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by ahunt01

Hmm, I`ve never heard of a drainage tube before.

Oh and how! I`m pretty sure all factory and better aftermarket roofs have them. When my headliner in the Lincoln gets a bit damp I know it`s time to clean them. Seems I don`t get leaks in the rain, just from washing. My wife`s car (Seville STS)had them so baddly clogged that they backerd up and leaked into the foot wells, the dealership had to remove the front seats and dry out the carpeting.

ahunt01
12-20-2003, 06:56 PM
Very interesting. I hope that`s all it is lol. Well the car is 4 years old, and I`ve never cleaned out the sunroof so that could be it. Since i`ve had the roof repaired from the tree damage, I`ve driven in the rain, and although I haven`t checked for leaks, I don`t think it was leaking. When I decided to wash it about 2 weeks after the car was repainted and repaired, I heard dripping noises when I hoped back in the car. That`s when I reached up and opened up the sliding headliner and felt around the edges of the sunroof from inside and felt moisture.

IntrstlarOvrdrv
12-21-2003, 12:53 AM
look for the drains, and use some pour litle bits of water into them and see if they drain or just back up. If they just back up, use some sort of cable (I used an old speedometer cable) to clean it out

ahunt01
12-21-2003, 01:06 AM
Ok, but I`m a little confused on what you mean by drains. Where do these drains drain the water? It can`t drain the water inside the roof, and I don`t see how it would drain water out of the car.

I mean, the sunroof is sealed with a rubber gasket, so shouldn`t that prevent any water at all from leaking in? I don`t know why I would need drains if that`s the case. *confused*

Here`s a post-accident picture. Shouldn`t that rubber seal keep out moisture? http://www.citlink.net/~ahunt01/sunroof.jpg

imported_Dave Holmes
12-22-2003, 02:49 AM
My `97 Maxima has four drains for the sunroof. Theoretically, the rubber seal should keep out the moisture. In the real world, moisture still gets in (rubber seals fail, sunroof open slightly during rain/wash, etc...). I have found 2 of my four drains. The rear drains go from the back of the sunroof all the way down to just behind the rear tires. They exit through the inside rear fenders, out of sight unless under the car. I found them by accident wondering what the little metal "pipes" coming out of my rear fenders were when I was under the car. I pulled them slightly and saw that they are hooked to a rubber hose. I guess the metal "pipe" piece is just for durability as it is the only part exposed to the environment (rocks, etc...).

I would venture to guess the front drains travel down the A-pillars, and exit through the front fender. If I remember, I`ll check for my front ones tomorrow just so I know where they are at.

Dave

ahunt01
12-22-2003, 07:26 AM
Neato, now I`m gonna have to go out and search all over the car for these. If and when I find them, how do I go about flushing them out?

butchdave
12-22-2003, 08:37 AM
I wouldn`t worry too much about where they come out. Just open up the sunroof fully and look around the rim for them. It really is the main cause for leaking sunroofs and the blockage is often right at the top of the pipe. Normally the drains are in the corners (gravity and all that on a curved roof), so if you pick the lowest points of the sunroof, thats where they will be.

To clean them, try a vacuum first then a blower and if all else fails then carefully poke them through. Remember you are dealing with a rubber pipe so don`t poke with anything hard or sharp - if you damage the pipe then you will have a much bigger problem. I use something like a thin plastic clothesline but anything like that will do. As noted above test by pouring a little water into the sunroof rim and watching to make sure it drains away

ahunt01
12-22-2003, 02:20 PM
Well, I flushed out the drain tubes. The front were quite easy to find, and I just took a syringe with water and shot it in. The back were harder to find, so I just parked the car on a hill and shot a little water back there. Both drainage tubes work beautifully. So now I`m not sure why it leaks.:confused:

~These are were the front drain tubes are.

http://www.citlink.net/~ahunt01/Resize-Wizard-1.jpg

http://www.citlink.net/~ahunt01/Resize-Wizard-2.jpg

http://www.citlink.net/~ahunt01/Resize-Wizard-3.jpg

http://www.citlink.net/~ahunt01/Resize-Wizard-4.jpg