PDA

View Full Version : Leatherique Dye - Any reviews

pingable
12-17-2003, 04:49 PM
Due to the *rave reviews* of the leatherique cleaner/conditioner products, I`m thinking about using them to get leather dye.

Has anyone used Leatherique for dyes. Is it a dead-on match.

My beige leather seats has 3 very minute small circle marks on the drivers side seat. I`m not sure if it was me or the one of the parking attendents when I drive out and get it parked in the lot.

To the normal eye, I`m sure nobody sees it but to me, it`s just EYESORE.

Any reviews on their dyes. Is it a 100% match. The cost is $$ as I only have these 3 spots but I`m sure the dyes last as long as it`s kept in a dark temperature controlled spot.............

chris0626
12-18-2003, 02:21 AM
For the red leather in my semi-old Jag, yes, it was a dead-on match. But I know what you mean about the $$$. As I recall, the small bottle for me was about $75. :(

togwt
12-18-2003, 09:13 AM
Quote: My beige leather seats have 3 very minute small circle marks on the drivers side seat. I`m not sure if it was me or the one of the parking attendants when I drive out and get it parked in the lot.

~One man’s opinion~

Have you any idea what the ‘three very minute small circle marks’ are. I assume it a stain of some sort hence you feel there is a need to dye the surface.

Have you tried anything to remove the stains?

As a suggestion try- applying a cleaning solution (Water /Woolite or Dreft 1:5 or greater ratio) on to an applicator pad and apply to a small area at a time. Gently agitate the surface with a soft, preferably boar’s hairbrush. This removes stubborn grime and will not harm the leather. Use a clean, damp Microfiber towel to rinse the leather. Then apply a conditioning product to protect it.

It may be worth trying this before the expenditure of $75 (although the Leathertique will dye leather very successfully)

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/

~ justadumbarchitect * so i question everything *

rorsino
12-19-2003, 12:33 PM
I used it on a set of Porsche seats, for a color change. It is a good match, but not a mat finish like the OEM . I also found that applying with a brush is not the best way to do it, as it can streak. What I did was use an HVLP gun, and got a perfect application/finish with an even covering. The stuff goes a bit farther as well. On creases, some of the dye flaked off and needed to be retouched. All in all, it looked pretty good.

The front seats were done, the pads are alcantara

http://home.earthlink.net/~foresthillfarm/images/alcantaragt3.jpg

pingable
12-20-2003, 03:49 PM
I don`t think it`s a stain. I`ve tried using Griots Interior Cleaner full strength and when the leater is clean, it`s not as noticable. However, give it a couple days when the leather get`s dirty, it`s much more noticable.

http://alan.home.pipeline.com/seats.jpg

imported_Dave Holmes
12-21-2003, 12:52 AM
Just a thought from looking at the pic. Could it possibly be a fungus/mold? From the pic, it kinda looks like ringworm (a fungus that infects human skin). Leather is nothing more than cow skin, right? And most leathers are "moisturized" a lot by owners, which makes a good environment for fungus/mold. When you said it looks better after cleaning, but comes back in a few days, it got me to thinking. If it is a fungus, cleaning may remove the top portion of it, diminishing its appearance. But since it wasn`t "killed", it grows back. This may sound silly, but what about putting some athlete`s foot cream (a fungicide) on it daily for a little while, cleaning it between applications? Of course I`d try it in an inconspicuous spot first for colorfastness.

Just an idea, or I may be out to lunch. If I`m out to lunch, someone slap me.

Dave

PAW
12-21-2003, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by pcar996TT

What I did was use an HVLP gun, and got a perfect application/finish with an even covering. The stuff goes a bit farther as well.

What size compressor does a HVLP gun require?

PAW
12-21-2003, 09:40 PM
Chefwong

Have you tried Leatherique`s conditioner (Rejunator Oil) and cleaner (Presitine Clean)? The oil is supposed to be absorbed into the leather and push contantments out of the leather. The the cleaner removes them from the surface. That would be cheaper that the dye. Plus, you`ve got conditioner/cleaner for later. Remember that Leatherique wants warm to very warm leather to allow the oil to be absorbed. Leatherique wants you to condition / clean with their products before you dye it. You`re also supposed to lightly sand the surface using their prep solution before dyeing. I`ve used their oil and cleaner on a badly worn leather couch. It did well. I`ve discussed their dye with them but haven`t used it.

rorsino
12-21-2003, 10:26 PM
Most guns require 40-50 psi and 6-8 cfm. You could easily get by with a portable, if you don`t mind the constant running noise