PDA

View Full Version : Winter product: cleaner or no?

imported_Aurora40
12-17-2003, 02:54 PM
So, I`m thinking this weekend I`ll be able to wash my car and of course I`ll slap on some more protectant. But I`m wondering what I should use. Normally I would just toss on another coat of whatever the top coat is (in this case, #16). But the thing is is that the car is a lot more disgusting than usual.

I`m thinking a product like MPPP or maybe AIO (though that means trying SG too) would be better because it would clean off water spots and such. I don`t want to wax in water spots. I dunno. But using a cleaner might make the whole protectant thing not as durable... What would you do?

imported_jaobrien6
12-17-2003, 03:11 PM
I actually think your third option is right, not a cop-out. There`s no use deciding to use a cleaner now, only to find out that everything came off with the wash.

After you wash, if you still have noticeable spots, I`d hit it with the AIO, personally. I don`t see why that would make your top layer any less durable, as long as you put a complete coat of protectant on (always a good idea to do 2 final coats in case you missed any spots).

John

2wheelsx2
12-17-2003, 04:00 PM
You can always use something like #20. Weak cleaners, and still a polymer. Not nearly as heavy in the cleaning department like AIO.

imported_Aurora40
12-17-2003, 06:09 PM
Yeah, I`d use MPPP most likely, not AIO. I don`t have #20 (and am not likely to buy any).

Jaobrien, I think I can assume there will be at least a few spots that don`t get completely removed. Plus, I don`t expect a poll to evaluate my finish, just wondering which avenue people would lean more towards. ;)

I think AIO would significanly affect the Zaino/BF/#16 that is currently on the car. It would likely strip all of that. I haven`t found AIO to be all that durable on its own.

Looks like I typo`d the poll... :o

imported_jaobrien6
12-17-2003, 06:23 PM
Ahh, i think i misunderstood.

In that case... I think I`d lean towards option #2. Keep as much of what you`ve already got on there in place `cause you want the protection for winter. Unfortunately, i can`t re-vote. :o

John