PDA

View Full Version : Tire Air Pressure

Pages : [1] 2

jchetty
12-16-2003, 11:44 PM
I always park in the back at work, so i have a pretty long walk to get to my building. While walking through the parkinglot, I always notice just how many people have underinflated tires :nono I mean i know its cold(i`m in jersey), but jeeez. I always check mine at least once a week. when that firestone problem was happening with the ford exlporers, i know of a few people who i trust said that they had a feeling people werent checking their air pressure and that *helped* to cause the blow outs. What bout you guys, where any of you affected by the tire blowouts and how often do you check your tire pressure:nixweiss

LouisanaJeeper
12-17-2003, 12:38 AM
keep mine at 25psi

(seriously!)

titus
12-17-2003, 01:06 AM

I try to check mine once per week. Unfortunately, when I get down to put the air gauge on the tire stem, I start to examine the evenness of the tire sheen, notice the inside of the wheel well, the light dusting of brake dust on the wheels and then I pull out all the wash stuff and miss gauging all the tires. As for the spare ( mounted up under the SUV ), I hope it isn`t flat. :o

No blowouts here - running BF Goodrich Long Trails.

Myles
12-17-2003, 03:17 AM
I run mine at 36 psi around town, 40 psi for highway. I check them every week.

I have these wizz bang Michelin gauges, one has its own pump other is a hand held. Easy work.

I run mine at these pressures for there is a dramatic decrease in stopping distance and they handle better. Also increases the mpg.

Started running them at this ever since i have done a few advanced driving courses. We witnessed a car do a full ABS stop at the reconmended (for the car) 28psi and then witnessed it do another ABS stop again at 36psi and it pulled up drastically shorter. Now i know it isnt exactly a scientific method but hey.:nixweiss

jim antis
12-17-2003, 11:27 AM
follow owners manual. Can`t go wrong .

Spilchy
12-17-2003, 12:23 PM
I check all three of my cars weekly and have a Campbell Hausfeld air compressor with tire chuck. So I don`t have to drive anywhere, I just fill up in my garage!

I have a really nice heavy duty digital tire gauge.

In the winter, I kick it up a couple psi because of the cold, but during the summer I leave it at what the owners manual says.

RScott29
12-17-2003, 12:57 PM
On My daily driver, my eye`s and feel for the road in just fine

(38 Front 42 Back Yep thats what they call for Plus Best MPG)

all other, i get out the gauge

Bill D
12-17-2003, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by Myles

I run mine at 36 psi around town, 40 psi for highway. I check them every week.

I have these wizz bang Michelin gauges, one has its own pump other is a hand held. Easy work.

I run mine at these pressures for there is a dramatic decrease in stopping distance and they handle better. Also increases the mpg.

Started running them at this ever since i have done a few advanced driving courses. We witnessed a car do a full ABS stop at the reconmended (for the car) 28psi and then witnessed it do another ABS stop again at 36psi and it pulled up drastically shorter. Now i know it isnt exactly a scientific method but hey.:nixweiss

Hey,

Is it also true that keeping the tire psi on 35-40 instead of standard 30 also increases life of the tires?

butchdave
12-17-2003, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by Bill D

Hey,

Is it also true that keeping the tire psi on 35-40 instead of standard 30 also increases life of the tires?

Not necessarily!

Over or under inflation will reduce the life of the tyre. There is only one correct inflation pressure and thats the one that keeps all the tread on the road. I try and record the wear patterns on my tyres - over inflation means that the centre of the tyre wears, under inflation means the edges wear. If you measure the tread and keep a record you can see if you need more or less pressure. Of course cold/ hot weather also change the pressures, just to keep you on your toes!

Also, since under or over inflation reduces the contact patch, this also makes your car more dangerous as you will have less grip for cornering and braking.

jimbmor
12-17-2003, 05:44 PM
I check mine weekly. I`ve got an air compressor and that makes it easy. Running low profile tires with all the potholes in Boston really pushes me to be consistent with the air pressure checks.

There are some good articles at TireRack.com about tire pressure.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/general/pressure.htm

imported_bigltc
12-17-2003, 11:30 PM
To find the best pressure for your tire, try the chalk test. Here`s the link:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=84284#post84284

sheep208
12-18-2003, 02:03 AM
you can find the recommanded psi on the tire. my accord tire recommand was 45psi , so i had 45psi in the rear tire 40`s in the front. as for my is300 was recommand 50psi, so i had 45psi in the back and 40psi in the front. i do alot of downtown/city drive with is300.

Chris Y.
12-18-2003, 02:33 AM
sheep...are you sure that is the recommend tire pressure and not the max tire pressure? Usually the tire will not list (on the tire) the manufactures recommended tire pressure...

Patrick
12-18-2003, 08:16 AM
Follow the car manufactureres recommendation, on the door sill.....regardless fo what the tire says....That pressure is max for the tire (the one on the tire). You have to keep in mind the weight of the vehicle too......

imported_CBX Carl
12-18-2003, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by Patrick

Follow the car manufactureres recommendation, on the door sill.....regardless fo what the tire says....That pressure is max for the tire (the one on the tire). You have to keep in mind the weight of the vehicle too......

I would be concerned offering this as many tires are changed from factory recs and the pressure on the sill might not be the best suggested tire pressure.

I tend to read from the tire for max air pressure #.