PDA

View Full Version : Light Leather + Jeans=Stains

imported_neoflex
12-15-2003, 10:16 PM
OK, here`s a question I am hoping some of you may have an answer for. I have very light interior in my car. The seats are what Caddy calls Light Neutral. Basically Beige. Whenever I wear new jeans I get blue stains on my leather. I usually get it all off with Griots interior cleaner and the tougher stuff I use Isopropyl Alchol and then after cleaning I usually hit it with 3Ms Refresh to re-condition the leather. Now cleaning it is not my problem, because I usually tackle it right away before it gets to set. Is there anything I can put on the seats that will help the blue from even really leaving its residue? Anything like a Scotchguard that will work? You guys are the experts so I am sure soemone knows a trick. My brother has a yukon XL and suffers from the same problem so if I found a fix we would both be very grateful. And yes next time I will go with the Black leather.:)

scottabir
12-16-2003, 12:20 AM
Wash the jeans before you wear them? I know it may sound silly, but maybe a good washing or two before you wear them may help get rid of the extra dye on the jeans.

Webb
04-05-2004, 12:42 AM
I want to knw this too.I have the same problem.:nixweiss

III
04-05-2004, 07:49 PM
I`ve had this problem too when I only wear black jeans. Solution: I don`t wear black jeans in my truck anymore. This is one of the reasons why I don`t like leather.

Jesstzn
04-05-2004, 08:59 PM
I have biege leather in my VW and did have it in my 99 Silverado and never had a problem in either with dye transfer. It could be the jeans too .. I wear only Levis.

Lynn Matthews
04-05-2004, 09:27 PM
I have heard that you can use a cup of vinegar to set the dye in your new jeans. I thinks it`s about a cup in the small load and you need to let it soak for a while.

:nixweiss It may be worth a try...

Lynn

Update...

Just did a Google search and found this: Set the color so that it will not run or fade: Dissolve 1 teaspoon Epsom salts in 1 gallon water and soak the garment in it overnight. Next morning, rinse thoroughly with vinegar water--¼ cup vinegar in 1 gallon of water. Then wash as usual.

To soften jeans, run them through the wash with detergent and ½ salt. To prevent streaking, wash them inside-out.

To prevent Fading, soak them for 1 hour in a mixture of 2 tablespoons salt and 1 gallon cold water. Then turn them inside-out and wash in cold water as usual.

Web Site Link (http://www.waynescomputerworld.com/Dotti/laundry.html)

Webb
05-30-2004, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by Lynn Phillips

I have heard that you can use a cup of vinegar to set the dye in your new jeans. I thinks it`s about a cup in the small load and you need to let it soak for a while.

:nixweiss It may be worth a try...

Lynn

Update...

Just did a Google search and found this: Set the color so that it will not run or fade: Dissolve 1 teaspoon Epsom salts in 1 gallon water and soak the garment in it overnight. Next morning, rinse thoroughly with vinegar water--¼ cup vinegar in 1 gallon of water. Then wash as usual.

To soften jeans, run them through the wash with detergent and ½ salt. To prevent streaking, wash them inside-out.

To prevent Fading, soak them for 1 hour in a mixture of 2 tablespoons salt and 1 gallon cold water. Then turn them inside-out and wash in cold water as usual.

Web Site Link (http://www.waynescomputerworld.com/Dotti/laundry.html)

Thanks Lynn,but how can I get that off my leather seat ?:nixweiss

Bill D
05-31-2004, 09:03 AM
Worse yet, my friend says jeans wore the leather fast in his C5 Corvette! :scared He got new seats

tguil
05-31-2004, 09:13 AM
I had the same problem many years ago with a white vinyl interior in a Covair Monza. (If you remember this vehicle you are darned old.) There is no "cure". I had special terry seat covers made and used them when I wore jeans. Because I wore jeans most of the time, the seat covers were on a lot. I have avoided light color interiors ever since.

Tom