PDA

View Full Version : BMW guidance please

Gonzo
12-15-2003, 11:06 AM
I may get the opportunity to buff out a heavily swirled & cobwebbed & hologrammed black 540 Bimmer, only a year or so old, over the holidays. It was clayed and buffed about 2 weeks ago after getting wind drift from a building being painted nearby. Now I get to fix the mess. I have proposed the following

Wash

Mask off everything

DACP w/Megs 7006 or CMA orange

IP w/Megs 8006

FP w/CMA white

AIO w/CMA black

SG or PUPP

I`ve been told the car is clearcoated. Is BMW CC hard, soft or in-between. Any gotchas in the outline above? Planning only to use PC and only go to the 9227 if the PC cannot "cut" it.

imported_BretFraz
12-15-2003, 11:12 AM
I`ve used DACP & the PC to remove hologramming with excellent success on BMW`s. Use the stiffest pad you have and crank up the speed.

I`m not sure what the Menzerna products will do. Usually the paint is in terrific condition after DACP so more polishing produces minor results. With the AIO you`ve got about 3.5 steps of polishing there - - seems excessive to me.

If it were me I`d DACP, judge results, and if OK, go to the AIO. There`s enough polishing ability in AIO to remove any light marring.

Experiment some on the trunk or hood to see how things go. When you find a good combo, let us know. And don`t forget the before & after pics :up

SuperBuick
12-15-2003, 11:30 AM
I think your procedure sounds spot-on. On the harder american clearcoat on my firehawk, I`ve gotten (is that even a word) the best results from the menzerna twins. However, if you can get most of the job done with DACP, you may be able to skip the Menzerna IP. I`d still recommend the FP though as it does a brilliant job of "burnishing the surface to a mirror-like shine" (I think thats what CMA says).

-Tom

imported_Greg
12-15-2003, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by SuperBuick

I think your procedure sounds spot-on. On the harder american clearcoat on my firehawk, I`ve gotten (is that even a word) the best results from the menzerna twins. However, if you can get most of the job done with DACP, you may be able to skip the Menzerna IP. I`d still recommend the FP though as it does a brilliant job of "burnishing the surface to a mirror-like shine" (I think thats what CMA says).

-Tom

DACP is more aggressive in my opinion than IP. It seems to me from your statement that you feel that is just the opposite. :nixweiss

togwt
12-15-2003, 11:47 AM
~One man’s opinion~

AIO contains a (solvent) cleaner as well as a polish, plus it’s a g a base for SG. I think your plan seems an excellent one.

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/

~ justadumbarchitect ~so I question everything ~

Spilchy
12-15-2003, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by bretfraz

I`ve used DACP & the PC to remove hologramming with excellent success on BMW`s. Use the stiffest pad you have and crank up the speed.

I`m not sure what the Menzerna products will do. Usually the paint is in terrific condition after DACP so more polishing produces minor results. With the AIO you`ve got about 3.5 steps of polishing there - - seems excessive to me.

If it were me I`d DACP, judge results, and if OK, go to the AIO. There`s enough polishing ability in AIO to remove any light marring.

Experiment some on the trunk or hood to see how things go. When you find a good combo, let us know. And don`t forget the before & after pics :up

DACP + PC + Speed 6 = no more holograms. I have done it many times. I always go straight to AIO and after application and do not see any defects left behind.

If you properly work the DACP and allow the dimishing abrasives to kick in and then lighten up to let the PC glide and polish, then you`ll be all set.

Gonzo
12-15-2003, 12:07 PM
Great input everyone, please keep it coming

dtsang
12-15-2003, 02:36 PM
i did an m5 a few months back w/ some pretty heavy swirls and some minor scratches. the dacp took the swirls right out, but didn`t even dent the light scratches. i then followed up w/ smr and then the klasse twins.

rleven
12-25-2003, 02:12 AM
BMW`s clearcoat is very soft. You really have to be careful with it.

rleven
12-25-2003, 02:25 AM
Oh yeah, I have used IP and FP very successfully with a PC to remove swirls. I used a CMA orange pad with the IP. You can skip the FP and go right to the AIO.

Bob

Scottwax
12-25-2003, 10:04 AM
I`ve always had great results on BMW paint using DACP and Swirl Free.

Gonzo
01-05-2004, 09:02 AM
Thanks again everyone. Got kidney "sand" over the holidays and with the pain and narcotics, had to beg off doing the Bimmer until a later date. Couldn`t even wash my truck since 12/20, although did a small buff/Klasse demo on the hood of an Black Cobra for a club friend. He is now aware of this site and plans on ordering a lot of what I used/demonstrated. (Hooked another one, he, he)