PDA

View Full Version : Engine Detailing?!

Reflector
12-13-2003, 09:02 PM
Hi.

I would like to know whats the best way to detail engines. I am not looking for the shiney/sticky look. I want the clean brand new engine look if you know what I mean.

What I do is mix some simple green. 10:1 with water then spray it, let it sit for a few minutes then spray it off with water and dry some areas with a towel. its clean, but not all the areas and it kinda leaves some spots on the hoses etc.

I Have never used any other product. I would prefer something from Meguiars since it easier for me to get.

Robb
12-13-2003, 09:04 PM
Try APC+ and Engine Kote

GearHead_1
12-13-2003, 09:09 PM
Robb,

Can you tell me a little more about Engine Kote? I`ve been thinking about trying it but the description says that it dries hard and I don`t want something that cracks once its dried. Thanks for any comments.

Robb
12-13-2003, 09:12 PM
i find that it leaves a very natural engine sheen,IMO it is like a heavy duty dressing for your engine, i have never had it crack and dont believe that would be an issue

Paul_BB_Guy
12-14-2003, 12:13 AM
Always remember to cover intakes/electronics with foil or plastic bags taped down with masking tape.

Another warning is that some of the engine degreasers will melt asphalt resulting in damaged driveways... Forwarned is forearmed...

mrbean
12-14-2003, 01:09 AM
well , i use P21S total auto wash and a tooth brush and some brushes and it just work out great for me

just make sure u did warm up the enginee (i did like 3-5 mins) , hot enough to touch it with ur hand but won;t burn it

:up

Reflector
12-14-2003, 06:40 AM
Originally posted by mrbean

well , i use P21S total auto wash and a tooth brush and some brushes and it just work out great for me

just make sure u did warm up the enginee (i did like 3-5 mins) , hot enough to touch it with ur hand but won;t burn it

:up

This part i dont understand. I read some other posts mentioning you need the engine to be warm, but not why? and it doesnt make sense.

I make sure my engine is cool when I do it. Hot will jus dry it faster :confused:

AutoNova
12-14-2003, 09:03 AM
Warming the engine helps to loosen soil and contaminants as well as anything petroleum based that is on the engine. Be careful to cover delicate areas, I recenlty had a gentleman`s starter go out on a mercedes I completed. Nothing I could do, It was underneath the engine.

chris0626
12-16-2003, 02:14 AM
Congratulations, Reflector, on deciding to tackle your engine bay. When I finally got motivated to tackle my poor ol` neglected `93 Benz engine, I wrote up the process here: http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=29237. I did not warm up the engine before hand, because I expected to spend 12 hours or so on it. Also, I did not cover any of the engine components, because I planned to work in very tiny areas with minimal liquids and no water-spray, and I had no adverse effects. I used Orange Blast (available at all WalMarts etc.), with vast quantities of shop towels, brushes, and Q-tips. Then treated the rubber/vinyl after cleaning. All in all, I was quite pleased with the results.

If you tell us what year/make car you`re dealing with, we might be able to give you some more specific tips.

Mantic6t9
12-16-2003, 04:03 PM
Ahh the joys of cleaning engine bays. Bloody knuckles, sore neck and back, and the feeling of never being done.

http://www.autopia.org/gallery/data/500/10954dsc01274.jpg

http://www.autopia.org/gallery/data/500/10954dsc01663.jpg