PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!! Removing microscratches.....

Pages : [1] 2

Chris Y.
12-13-2003, 03:16 AM
Hi everyone!

This is my first post here, although I`ve been following for a few months now...:)

I`ve started to detail my Arctic Silver 2001 Porsche 996 Turbo and have some questions regarding how much improvement to expect using Mezerna FP with White Pad from CMA and PC 7336...

There is some micro scratches I guess due to dealer washes (no more of those), my own careless washing before joining autopia, etc. I started to prep the surface by claying (Blackfire stuff) and FP with White Pad at 3.5 speed on the PC. Some improvement but not perfect. So I turn it up to 4.5...getting better. Try, 5.5, even better, but some really tiny hairline scratches, only seen when I look at eye level with direct lighting. Can I expect it to get any better? Continue FP with White, or try yellow? I have IP, should I try it with yellow, or am I going to far? :confused:

Just some background info: The car has been protected with Zaino since day 1 and pretty much garaged at all times...only sees the outside when driving. I`m planning to give Klasse twins and P21S wax a shot!

Thanks in advance!!!

-Chris

RobD
12-13-2003, 09:21 AM
Chris, I had the same problem when using FP (and the Green Giant German Polishing Pad) on my Black `02 TT - the finish looked really nice, but no matter what I did (speed, pressure, add some water, etc), I still saw, under direct light, some degree of uniform micro-marring/hazing. So, I tried using FP by hand (with a Meg. Gold Class foam app. pad) with light pressure and that made a noticeable difference, the finish got much clearer under direct light. FP is good but it is such a PIA to remove, FP has no oils/fillers so the towels really drag when removing the residue. I use a wrung out MF towel followed with a dry MF towel. The Green Giant Pad was nice to work with because PC vibration is significantly reduced, unfortunately, it didn`t (for me) deliver a clearer finish. Good luck.

Chris Y.
12-13-2003, 12:18 PM
Rob...

Great to see another TT owner! I`ll try it by hand and see if it gets better.

Were you able to find a product that was able to remove the micro-marring/hazing? I removed FP using the two towel method....a lot better!

Thanks!

imported_memnuts
12-13-2003, 12:51 PM
Chris,

I have a black Z28 convertible ( garage queen x ~9 yrs). My combo is DACP, Merzerna IP followed with FP all by PC. I spread at 3.5-4 and work finish with a speed of 5-6 until the product disappears. Usually the DACP and Merzerna products are almost gone so finally buffing to remove residual is effortless. I also use Zaino on this car as the base protectant but also wash prior to application to inspect work and remove any residue from cracks and crannies.

Welcome to Autopia!!!:wavey

RobD
12-13-2003, 01:31 PM
Chris, I currently have the finish as good as I can get it using the FP by hand in light back and forth/elliptical motions. I haven`t tried a rotary on the car, but, with the heat they generate, I think that might take it the rest of the way. Truthfully though, being that black is so hard (read impossible) to keep perfect and I use and wash the car often, I have to accept certain things that I don`t see on my silver car (a joke keeping 99% perfect), therefore, 95% will do. If you`ve gone over the finish a few times with FP and you still see imperfections not caused by the PC/FP combo (a slight uniform haze), you may want to try something more aggressive. Menzerna does make (I believe two) more aggressive compounds. Start with the next more aggressive compound then follow with the FP (using the PC), finish up with the FP by hand and I think you`ll have a nice finish. BTW, if you haven`t already, stop by www.6speedonline.com and visit the Turbo forum. I follow it daily (I don`t post too often, though) and it`s a great place for info and the guys there are really cool.

RobD
12-13-2003, 01:50 PM
blkZ28Conv, I`ve had trouble working the FP down to nothing. I work it down but I always get to a point where it dries on the surface and I can`t get it down any further. After I remove whats left over, I`m left with the expected slight haze and, as I mentioned above, I follow up with FP by hand (I`m still left with residue but the finish comes out a lot clearer). I`ve worked it at speed 6 with the Giant Green pad and I can`t break it all the way down, even spritzing with water. Any help would be appreciated. TIA.

Chris Y.
12-13-2003, 02:52 PM
I`m going to try IP and maybe pickup some DACP to try, but I coated the one panel I did last night will AIO and SG and now I can hardly find the small micro-marring. I looks awesome and I`m quite satisfied. I really want to avoid stronger stuff if I don`t need it.

RobD...yes, I`ve very active on both 6speedonline.com and rennlist.com. I`m also Chris Y. on both boards. :) See ya there!

Chris Y.
12-13-2003, 02:55 PM
thanks BlkZ28convt....

Where would you classify DACP next to the Mezerna products? And what pad should I pair it up with? Thanks!

RobD
12-13-2003, 03:19 PM
I thought I`d seen your username over there, Chris. :up

imported_memnuts
12-13-2003, 03:32 PM
Chris,

I use the yellow LC (Lake Country) 7.5 pads for all 3 steps at the speeds I indicated. I vary the pressure also. I also use the white LC pad if any hazing is apparent after the FP. Of course a separate or clean pad for each product.

DACP is only slightly more aggressive than IP but because of it make-up (breaking down) it is sometimes used alone. On my silver daily driver I just use DACP prior to protecting.

Rob and Chris,

I also spritz the pad with a light spray of distilled H2O and only use about 4 3/8" dabs of each product per area ( 2`x2`) polished.

Rob,

I have heard that the Merzena twins can be a problem with total removal and I was completely surprised on how easily it worked for me. I only polish indoors so that may be a factor. :nixweiss Who knows, when I do another total paint restoration when needed the moon and stars may not be in perfect alignment and I too may face removal problems. I have tried many surface prep regimens and this one really works for my black finish. This has been the only regimen that leaves my finish completely haze-free and the surface as smooth as glass, optically close to perfect ( ver deep hue), deep and wet appearing prior to any enhancement by a protectant.

Hope this helps.:wavey

Accumulator
12-13-2003, 04:11 PM
RobD- I haven`t tried the Menzerna polishes, but I HAVE done a lot of polishing on Audis. *I* think you oughta ditch the GG pad and use "regular", thinner ones. There`s some other post about the GG pads where I go into more detail, but generally, they are too mild for most marring on Audi clear. I haven`t tried my GG pad yet, but I only plan to use it on finishes that are already 99% perfect, based on my previous experiences with "thick" pads.

RobD
12-13-2003, 05:42 PM
Accumulator, thanks for the advice, unfortunately, the FP/GG Pad combo is creating the micro marring/hazing, that`s the problem. My finish was very good/better before I started. I`m not looking to remove anything the FP can`t handle, it`s just not (so far with the PC) producing a clear finish. The compound may not be reaching the right temperature with the PC, maybe a slightly more aggressive pad would help (a rotary would probably work well). Curiously though, when I apply it by hand, the results are much better.:nixweiss I did try using the PC at very slow speeds and worked it in for a longer time, but it didn`t help.

Chris Y.
12-13-2003, 07:21 PM
Thanks for all the advice guys!!! I`m going to give the tips a try and hope for the best!!!

-Chris

Accumulator
12-14-2003, 12:20 PM
RobD- As I said, I`m not a Menzerna user, but your problems with the FP have me scratching my head. Considering that it`s the last product used by Mercedes on new cars (or so I hear), and it`s the final pre-protection product used by SO many Autopians, it just doesn`t make sense for it to be causing marring. The foam of the GG pad is nice and soft, so IT isn`t causing it...hmm..the standard advice here is to use less product. And *I* wouldn`t be using the GG pad, myself.

One reason why *I* don`t use the FP is because of its reputation for tough residue removal. I worry that I might induce marring trying to get it off. Perhaps that`s what`s happening with your car.

Hey, there`s nothing wrong with determining that a product doesn`t work for you and trying something else. Either try the FP with a "regular" pad (and use less FP), or just try a different polish (again, I would use a regular pad). Menzerna`s FP is supposed to improve an already good finish, NOT make it worse. You could probably refine your technique somehow and make it work for you, but as I keep saying, life is short. I`d try a different product, like the 1Z stuff or GEPC or something else and see if you can find something that gives you the results you want without being a pain to use.

RobD
12-14-2003, 04:37 PM
Accumulator, which 1Z polish do you recommend and where can I get it? TIA