PDA

View Full Version : Paint Cleaners vs Polishes?

imported_NHBFAN
12-12-2003, 08:06 PM
What`s the difference between polishes and paint cleaners?

Typically I tackle neglected or oxidized paint with MPPC. But, I`ve seen good results from more aggressive polishes, in particular, IP and PwC.

Are these products as effective on neglected finishes as MPPC?

Again I`m talking about hand applications.

chris0626
12-13-2003, 01:32 AM
I bet other folks with more extensive experience and in-depth knowledge will chime in here .... but, meanwhile ... I had a seriously-neglected/oxidized `93 Benz. Tried some paint polishes, and they just didn`t do anything. The Klasse AIO worked like a gem, though! :bigups I never tried "polishes" per se on it, so this is just my $.02.

Patrick
12-13-2003, 01:37 AM
Well, im too tired and lazy to figure out the Acros, but....

Your opening up quite a can with this question....Its all how its interpreted by the individual, but my take and interpretation is......There really isnt any, I have cleaners that are 1200 grit, and they make excellent polishes, i have polishes that cant clean for crap, but thats misuse anyway..You can call em what you want, some polishes as you know have Carnauba in them. Megs makes a cleaner/wax, does that mean it cleans? Does it provide polishing attributes? You betchya ! Theres cleaners that dont contain abrasives, and clean with chemicals...Theres polishes that clean with chemicals, without abrasive....

Your best bet ? Come here, like you did, be aware of what your using before using .....Now carry on !

Oh, by the way, don forget to throw in swirl mark removers....:eek:

imported_NHBFAN
12-13-2003, 02:09 AM
Originally posted by Lynn

Tried some paint polishes, and they just didn`t do anything. The Klasse AIO worked like a gem, though! :bigups I never tried "polishes" per se on it, so this is just my $.02.

Thanks, Lynn

I really like AIO (just ordered a 1 liter bottle last night) and use it on my 2003 truck frequently. But I haven`t had the success that other`s here have had as far as restoring neglected finishes. Of course I`m trying to do it by hand.

In particular, in tackling oxidation, I`ve had the most success with MPPC. On several occassions I`ve tried products, e.g. AIO and GEPC with little success compared to MPPC. But, there have been some "beaters" that I`ve worked on that required more than one session with MPPC to get the optimum results.

I was just curious if anyone had good results (by hand) with some of the polishes I haven`t tried yet. After researcing tonight, I think I may try Einszett`s polishes or PB`s Pro Polish next.

Jesstzn
12-13-2003, 10:35 AM
Just a small Q NHBFan.. why all by hand? Why not a PC?

imported_NHBFAN
12-13-2003, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by Jesstzn

Just a small Q NHBFan.. why all by hand? Why not a PC?

Presently I`m an apartment dweller (2nd floor at that) so electricity is a problem. I do have some friends and family whose garages I could borrow, especially if I throw in a gratuitous detail for them.

I`ve actually been considering a PC. I guess it`s inevitable.

But, I`m always going to be interested in products that are good for hand applications, because I do like to detail in remote areas in the great outdoors, e.g. parks, etc ...

Accumulator
12-13-2003, 11:31 AM
NHBFAN- I`ve used 1Z polishes by hand, and they work fine that way. Ditto for 3M`s PI-III MG (pn 05937).

You could go nuts trying to figure out "polishes", "cleaners", etc., etc. Meguiar`s, for instance, uses different definitions than 3M; it`s all rather confusing. e.g., the 3M 05937 is called a "glaze", but *I* would call it an "abrasive polish"; Meguiar`s has "pure polishes" that do NOT contain abrasives and abrasive "cleaners" that are what some would call "rubbing compounds". The only real way to be clear is to go by specific product references.

imported_NHBFAN
12-13-2003, 12:56 PM
Thanks, Accumulator

That`s the kind of info I was looking for. Believe I`m going to go order a tin of 1z polish now.

Accumulator
12-13-2003, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by NHBFAN

Believe I`m going to go order a tin of 1z polish now.

I take it you`re gonna order the 1Z "Paint Polish" in the green can, right? You MIGHT want to follow up with the "Metallic Polish" (red can) but I don`t think it`s absolutely required. Note that the aggressive/quite abrasive "Ultra Polish" (yellow can) REALLY leaves marring, if you try that stuff you`ll DEFINITELY have to follow up with a milder product.

If you`re just ordering one, get the green can, Paint Polish :xyxthumbs