PDA

View Full Version : Ok to use Meguiars QD on Zaino`d car?

mark2003
12-10-2003, 08:10 PM
I`m just curious if it`s ok to use meguairs quick detailer on my car to get off the dust now and then instead of the Z6 since I only like to use the Z6 inbetween putting on new layers of zaino since it`s more expensive and hard to come by in my area. Would that cause any problems?

chris0626
12-10-2003, 08:31 PM
I`m of two minds about this.

On my seriously-pampered 1975 Jag which is a Zaino`d concours car, I only use Z6 for QD because I`m conservative and don`t want to take any chances.

On the other cars, about which I`m not so picky, I do use Meguiar`s FI (or is it FD? :nixweiss Well, it`s the one without silicone) exactly for the reason you mention: that it`s a bit less expensive than Zaino. So far, I haven`t observed any difference in performance ... But that`s not a scientific opinion.

spetulla
12-10-2003, 08:35 PM
its FI

NozeBleedSpeed
12-10-2003, 08:54 PM
Please dont take this as a bash because it isnt directed at your choice, in any way at all.

If I had to worry about which common detailers I could use on my protectant,I would find another protectant,not another spray detailer. If a protectant wont stand up to a common spray on detailer, designed to wipe off fingerprints,it surely wont protect your paint from the real threats. If I was actually concerned about it,I would look at it as a challenge and use every detailer I had,just to test how finicky it really is. I personally use a multitude of detailers on all of my cars,which are all finished with different products. If they didnt stand up to detailers I wouldnt trust it to protect my car just sitting in my driveway. JMO.

chris0626
12-10-2003, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by NozeBleedSpeed

Please dont take this as a bash because it isnt directed at your choice, in any way at all.

If I had to worry about which common detailers I could use on my protectant,I would find another protectant,not another spray detailer. If a protectant wont stand up to a common spray on detailer, designed to wipe off fingerprints,it surely wont protect your paint from the real threats. If I was actually concerned about it,I would look at it as a challenge and use every detailer I had,just to test how finicky it really is. I personally use a multitude of detailers on all of my cars,which are all finished with different products. If they didnt stand up to detailers I wouldnt trust it to protect my car just sitting in my driveway. JMO.

No problem, NozeBleedSpeed. I don`t hear it as a bash.

But I wonder what kind of polymer protectant you`re using?

`Cause for me, it`s really not complicated. I use Zaino and Klasse. Both seem to want a non-silicone QD, so that`s what I stock. No muss, no fuss, and the benefit (getting 2-3 months of glorious protection for my non-garaged cars) is well worth the little bit of effort.

I`d be curious to know what kind of protectant you use that could be lower-maintenance.

But ... as I`ve said before ... and risking being a "broken record"... I really don`t understand folks who say that Zaino or Klasse are "high-maintenance" products.

NozeBleedSpeed
12-10-2003, 09:49 PM
I have 1 car with AIO/SG and topped with Paste Glaz. I have another with AIO/SG & UPP and another with MPPP. All are parked outside every day,all day. I commonly use PB W&S, E1 S&W,EFCP,Mothers,FI,FD,CM,UPP and now QS. Admittedly,certain finishes look and feel better with certain detailers and I tend to reach for those depending if its a quick wipe or after a full wash. But honestly,I will use any of those detailers on any one of my cars. I havent seen any difference in durability due to detailers(of course Ive never done any kind of actual comparison testing either). There could be a difference,but I apply products too often to actually completely test a products long term endurance.

Again,Im not trying to offend anyone or any product,and I may be the dupe here. I just dont think that any of the detailers that we all use,would be particularly degenerative to most quality protectants. I just think its more appearance preference than actual chemical incompatibility.

ntoddalbert
12-10-2003, 09:49 PM
Final detail rocks on top of Klasse

NozeBleedSpeed
12-10-2003, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by FalconGuy

Final detail rocks on top of Klasse

And there you have it Lynn... :D ;)

chris0626
12-10-2003, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by NozeBleedSpeed

And there you have it Lynn... :D ;)

:rofl Yeah, substantive posts like that really change my life. :D

But, seriously, NozeBleedSpeed ... Sometimes I wonder. Me, I`m the sorta person who follows directions meticously. And your comments really do make me wonder if I need to be so careful. I wish I had cars I was wiling to experiment with, so I could get my own "take" on whether I need to be as careful as I have been. Thanks for your comments. Maybe I`ll try them out when springtime comes! :D

Jesstzn
12-10-2003, 10:03 PM
I`m pretty sure if it takes alcohol to remove Zaino a little QD of any brand sure isn`t going to hurt it. Where you might be concerned is how it will affect your *next* layer of Zaino. And if you go by the book your going to DAWN wash anyway and the short life of a QD will be washed away.

NozeBleedSpeed
12-10-2003, 10:23 PM
Lynn,there isnt much to lose but there is much to be learned by experimenting with products. The worst you will ever probably do is remove your protectant. You probably have gobs more on your shelf. Many guys on this very forum have introduced me to better methods than the instructions because they experimented. Bill North and David with Klasse,and claying during washing comes to mind. Neither are manufacturer recommended. Most products are very safe as manufacturers cant afford to risk their livelyhood on volatile products that require absolute processes.Your biggest concern should be as Jesstzn stated,how a detailer might affect the next layer of topper.

Loosen up man.:D Its just wax....;)

Now that I said that,I`ll probably go outside and find all my paint on the driveway.:lol

Jesstzn
12-10-2003, 10:26 PM
I prefer NozeBleedSpeeds phrasing of my comment .. It is probably more accurate than the *will* I used.

chris0626
12-10-2003, 10:37 PM
Loosen up man.:D Its just wax....;)

Now that I said that,I`ll probably go outside and find all my paint on the driveway.:lol [/B]

:lol Good point! :D Maybe, if I had a garage, I`d be more inclined to experiment as you`re suggesting. Me, I`m doing curbside detailing -- seems it`s always too dang hot, or rainy, or (as now) snow/ice/sleet ... so that I don`t feel the leisure to experiment. But you may well have a great point.