PDA

View Full Version : #81...Klasse 2.

imported_Tony
12-10-2003, 03:49 PM
Intro: For my 30th wedding anniversary( DEC 1) my wife and I went on a 7 day cruise out of Galveston to Key West, Grand Cayman and Cosumzel. We drove to Galveston and parked outside for a week.

Before going I had wash with MGC and AIO the 1994 Lincoln Continental. My order from Meguiars came in while we were gone. The car was covered in salt water, dust residue and bird bombs.

Monday I washed with MGC and the finish felt slick. I wanted to use the #81 that came in so I used it with the PC and a polishing pad. I know #81 is a hand polish but I wanted to try it with the PC. Monday was a cloudy day but the temp was perfect. I did a section at a time but perhaps due to the cloudyness I could not tell much different between the #81 sections and the washed sections. I had asked Mike if one could SG over #81 and he said go ahead. Tuesday I SG the Bill North method ( since I am an overnight Klasse sg user this method was new to me). This method is very easy and I like the fact you can complete and area before moving around.

The car looks very nice and only time will tell how SG will work over #81 and also I want to know if the Bill North method is as effective as the overnight Method.

Well as usual I have more questions than answers but it been fun!

BillNorth
12-10-2003, 04:15 PM
rightlane,

When you say `effective` I am assuming you mean with respect to durability and appearance.

So far I have not noticed any differences in either category. It`s been 4 months since I applied my third coat of SG. The SG is still behaving the same as per the dry time method.

I`d love to hear other experiences as well.

I hope you experience the same great results I have.

Bill.

imported_Tony
12-10-2003, 04:29 PM
"When you say `effective` I am assuming you mean with respect to durability and appearance."

Right Bill! The shine is the same however concerning durability, I complicated the issue by applying the SG over #81.

imported_Greg
12-10-2003, 05:13 PM
I honestly don`t see how durability isn`t going to suffer because you did 81 before SG. 81 has a very high oil content and SG isn`t going to bond the oils. Let us know how durabilty comes out, I am sure it looked very good when you were done however.

BillNorth
12-10-2003, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by Greg

I honestly don`t see how durability isn`t going to suffer because you did 81 before SG. 81 has a very high oil content and SG isn`t going to bond the oils. Let us know how durabilty comes out, I am sure it looked very good when you were done however.

I`m not too familiar with #81, but if it does have a high oil content then the SG will most definately suffer.

Rightlane, your experiment is probably not a good measuring stick for wipe on/off. Keep us posted anyway.

imported_Greg
12-10-2003, 08:54 PM
#81 is very similar to #7, just formulated for clearcoats and it is a bit easier to use in my testing. It makes a great rich base for a carnauba, but I`m thinking that Klasse is just going to slide right off after the first wash.

imported_Tony
12-10-2003, 09:09 PM
Here is the link to Mike response to using #81 http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=29452er a polymer:

We will see.

imported_Greg
12-10-2003, 09:58 PM
His response makes no mention of Klasse SG though. #20 is very different than SG. #20 has a very little cleaning ability which allows it to bond to the paint, even if 81 is below this. I do not know the exact chemistry behind this, so I won`t speculate. I can say however, because of the unique acrylic chemistry of Klasse, it is very adviseable that the proper step before SG is AIO and only AIO. They are meant to work together to create this acrylic layer that is very durable.

BillNorth
12-10-2003, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by Greg

His response makes no mention of Klasse SG though. #20 is very different than SG. #20 has a very little cleaning ability which allows it to bond to the paint, even if 81 is below this. I do not know the exact chemistry behind this, so I won`t speculate. I can say however, because of the unique acrylic chemistry of Klasse, it is very adviseable that the proper step before SG is AIO and only AIO. They are meant to work together to create this acrylic layer that is very durable.

I agree. :bounce

2wheelsx2
12-10-2003, 10:35 PM
Also, Meguiar`s is a system , and as such all the products in their line will work with each other. #20 will work with #7 and #81 because they have been formulated to work together.

Gonzo
12-11-2003, 07:36 AM
rightlane,

Being a fellow Houstonian, maybe we could hook-up for lunch or something over the holidays. I buffed out my truck over Turkey Day weekend and have subsequently applied AIO and a couple of layers of SG. Because the weather has been so cool of late, I`m leaving the previous layer of SG to cure for about a week before adding the next layer. Future plans after the SG is a couple of layers of PUPP.

You will be able to see first hand the results. I think you probably should have used AIO before the SG, because in addition to being an acrlyic, it is also a chemical cleaner for your paint (IE remove oils, waxes, ...). This makes sure the SG is bonding to a complete acrylic base instead of paint here, oily residue there,...